Where Is It Flooding Right Now?

cdnvic

Bang Bua Thong village still has thigh deep water. The main roads are passable with 4WD and even some taxis are braving it now. All the sois between Bang Bua Thong through Ban Kruai to Sai Noi are still affected with some sois still holding water above the knee and receding very slowly. Quite a few Monocled Cobras are turning up in the garden from adjoining paddy fields!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to venture out from Don Muang to Lasksi today, the water along Chang Akat Utit is till about 18 inches and passable (just about) in a truck, once one gets to Laksi the water disappears. Foodland is about 90% stocked but with no large bottles of soft drinks.

< snipped 23 Nov 2011 Thai PBS 'Thailand's Worst Flood' summary >

Thanks for this Max.

Btw, the bold white numbers is not the depth, but height of water above sea level, so to get depth, need to subtract local ground above sea level. On average 1.1m.

Thanks for pointing that out. I suspected it was above MSL because of the large values. If he had previously identified what they were, I probably missed it. I think he's been using those relative MSL values to determine the absolute daily drop in cm. For some time I thought they represented billions of CM. Where did you get the 1.1 m value, BTW?

Also, looking at today's map, I must have omitted 60 MCM in the southeastern sector which would make the total MCM = 400 for the entire area instead of 340. The low video quality of the images was because I had to capture the low-res (240P) YouTube archive because I had not recorded it last night.

Edited by MaxYakov

Does anyone know the condition of the bang pa in exit coming from the 9 eastern ring road connecting to the 32 north bound to Ayuthaya?

Many thanks,

Fritz

Coming of the #9 there is no problem continuing to Ayutthaya.

The tollgates are #9 were the cause of major traffic jams last Friday around peak hour

No idea how traffic currently goes around that area..

Thanks, Ill venture it tomorrow. I'm travelling from Chonburi to Nakhon Sawan every week and I really don't want to go past nakhon nayok saraburi onto the 21 again.

Hello to you all

I am still working in Oman for 2.5 weeks , Coming back to Bangkok around the 11 dec.

My wife is coming to Bangkok for shopping. Is it ok to stay in the Sukumvit area soi 8- 10 - no flooding there? Or do you think it will be ok in 2.5 weeks ?

After with Bus company , Nakonsa air back to Ubon is that possible with this situation.

thanks for any reply and take care

Peter De Saedeleer

DJN

Oman -Duqm

I am arriving Swamp this comming saturday and going to Tannon Hatairat in Min Buri, on sunday my plan is to go to IKEA for some funiture shopping.

Anyone having information about the flood situation on rute?

Thank you.:jap:

You can take the Bang Na Trad roadway all the way without a problem no flooding of any significant amount on this end of town at this point. I went there on it's grand opening but have been past regularly since including today, what a store but that's off topic have fun and plan for hours of shopping and queues..

Hello to you all

I am still working in Oman for 2.5 weeks , Coming back to Bangkok around the 11 dec.

My wife is coming to Bangkok for shopping. Is it ok to stay in the Sukumvit area soi 8- 10 - no flooding there? Or do you think it will be ok in 2.5 weeks ?

After with Bus company , Nakonsa air back to Ubon is that possible with this situation.

thanks for any reply and take care

Peter De Saedeleer

DJN

Oman -Duqm

All of Sukumvit, Sathorn and Silom areas are dry and are expected to stay that way. Issues with lack of bottled water and other items have eased.

I am arriving Swamp this comming saturday and going to Tannon Hatairat in Min Buri, on sunday my plan is to go to IKEA for some funiture shopping.

Anyone having information about the flood situation on rute?

Thank you.:jap:

You can take the Bang Na Trad roadway all the way without a problem no flooding of any significant amount on this end of town at this point. I went there on it's grand opening but have been past regularly since including today, what a store but that's off topic have fun and plan for hours of shopping and queues..

Thanks a lot WarpSpeed.

I have posted tis in Long Term Floos Victims but thought it also applied to this thread hope I am not out of order.

Heartbraking, thank you for sharing.

Just returned to Khon Kaen 5.30 pm 24/11/54 went down to Nonthaburi to check the house. Most suprising thing was that about 1.5 hours out of Bangkok we ran into the flooded areas both sides of the highway still underwater - Area at Thamasat University highway passable but about axle deep for a kilometre or so.

Serviceroads either side of the highway at Rangsit flooded with wooden makeshift bridges for foot traffic to get to the highway - service station driveways flooded in closer to Bkk Don Muang most sois still flooded and many cars parked in the normal level parking are now flooded - multi story car parks full but no entry - no exit - expressways packed solid with parked vehicles of all types, private cars, tour buses, taxis, and many many trucks.

Nonthaburi major roads ok but those areas on both sides of the Chao Praya River still flooded, most sois have wooden walkways installed water level

Thanks for this Max.

Btw, the bold white numbers is not the depth, but height of water above sea level, so to get depth, need to subtract local ground above sea level. On average 1.1m.

Thanks for pointing that out. I suspected it was above MSL because of the large values. If he had previously identified what they were, I probably missed it. I think he's been using those relative MSL values to determine the absolute daily drop in cm. For some time I thought they represented billions of CM. Where did you get the 1.1 m value, BTW?

Also, looking at today's map, I must have omitted 60 MCM in the southeastern sector which would make the total MCM = 400 for the entire area instead of 340. The low video quality of the images was because I had to capture the low-res (240P) YouTube archive because I had not recorded it last night.

The 1.1 meters was the value used during the high tides having to subtract and you can use it as an average height above sea level. Most of greater BKK is between 0.5 to 2.0 meter ASL, so...

Just got back from Khon Kaen and made the mistake of taking the Kanchanapisek Eastern Ring Road. It's only flooded in a very small section right at the northern toll gates but the resulting traffic back-up stretched for many kilometers in both directions. To be avoided if at all possible!

Edited by sbk

Main street Salaya in front of gate 5 Mahidol University had gone down to ankle deep early this morning (water was clean too!) but by this afternoon it had gone back up to knee deep (and rising) with filthy black water (lots of dead fish and even dead snakes) which I suspect is the Nonthaburi run-off coming this way. The sluice gate at Naha Sawan (by the Royal Gems sports club) , which was completely open, has now been closed back to what looks like less than a metre. River in Nakhon Chaisi (as viewed just north of Bang Kraboa) has risen again too as have waters at Phra Prathom close to Phetkasem road as it goes north towards Nakhom Phatom. The 338 road to Nakhom Phatom at Puttamonthon has about 2 feet of water and a current flowing south (it seems to be heading to Khlong Thawi Wattana meeting it around the middle of Thano Utthayan aka the 'beautiful road'). Image mall on Phuttamonthon 4 was open today as floods seem to be receding close to the north of Nong Khaem. The southern SRT railway line, which was dry but now has up to half a metre of fast flowing water again, is running a 75% service to the southern provinces but expect delays and a changed timetable as it has been reduced to single line working in places due to flood damage.

Reason for edit: Spelling mistake

Hi DaiHard is it possible to drive down Phuttamonthon sai 4 in a car?

Wat Semian and Vipawadi Road near it are now dry, as is Prachachuen up to the Mall Ngamwonwang. As of two days ago, you still could not turn onto Kaset-Nawamin from Prachachuen though. I did so & barely made it through to the first U-turn! Water almost came over the hood of my Isuzu station wagon.

Ratchayothin is dry, but Pahan Yothin is still slightly flooded about 1/2 a km north of there. You can turn right from Pahan Yothin onto Kaset Nawamin, but not to the left. From there on, Kaset Nawamin is dry.

About a week ago I drove from Sukhothai to Bangkok. The roads were dry the whole way down, except for Ratachada & Vipawadi after I got into Bangkok (They are both dry now). However, what really struck me was that the fields on either side of the road were still flooded, from about Singburi on down to Bangkok. It was like driving on an elevated causeway over an inland ocean. There is still a LOT of water up there.

Edited by otherstuff1957

Main street Salaya in front of gate 5 Mahidol University had gone down to ankle deep early this morning (water was clean too!) but by this afternoon it had gone back up to knee deep (and rising) with filthy black water (lots of dead fish and even dead snakes) which I suspect is the Nonthaburi run-off coming this way. The sluice gate at Naha Sawan (by the Royal Gems sports club) , which was completely open, has now been closed back to what looks like less than a metre. River in Nakhon Chaisi (as viewed just north of Bang Kraboa) has risen again too as have waters at Phra Prathom close to Phetkasem road as it goes north towards Nakhom Phatom. The 338 road to Nakhom Phatom at Puttamonthon has about 2 feet of water and a current flowing south (it seems to be heading to Khlong Thawi Wattana meeting it around the middle of Thano Utthayan aka the 'beautiful road'). Image mall on Phuttamonthon 4 was open today as floods seem to be receding close to the north of Nong Khaem. The southern SRT railway line, which was dry but now has up to half a metre of fast flowing water again, is running a 75% service to the southern provinces but expect delays and a changed timetable as it has been reduced to single line working in places due to flood damage.

Reason for edit: Spelling mistake

Hi DaiHard is it possible to drive down Phuttamonthon sai 4 in a car?

We navigated sai 4 Wednesday night in a small pickup with modified inlet/exhaust. We drove from Phet Kasaem to Utthayan road. The section where you turn off eastbound Phet Kasaem to go north on sai 4 was quite deep and barely navigable in our pickup. Along that access road there were also some sizable pot holes.

Once we were onto sai 4 itself, things were much better. Cars could navigate in the inside lane and things got better the further north we went. Around the Honda show room and north, sai 4 was dry.

We also drove Utthayan road to the very last u-turn before sai 3. Utthayan road was flooded. OK for us in the inside lane, but I wouldn't try it in a car.

Anyone know if Viphavadi hospital is still flooded?

I've been to Viphavadee Hospital twice this week. It will be easier if you proceed via Kaset/Nawamin Road from Ekkamia/Ramintra then go under the dry tunnel (below the traffic junction of Paholyothin/KasetNawamin). When you are out of the tunnel the same road is called Ngam WongWan. This side of the road is slightly wet but not flooded whereas the other side or direction (university side) is flooded. Just proceed straight another 400m or so you see the hospital on your left. Enter the hospital through this Ngam WongWan road. After you finish do not go back the same way. Just proceed along Ngam WongWan about another 50m turn left into Viphavadee/Rangsit road and go. Its dry there.

Edited by joetys

Thanks for this Max.

The 1.1 meters was the value used during the high tides having to subtract and you can use it as an average height above sea level. Most of greater BKK is between 0.5 to 2.0 meter ASL, so...

Sorry, but it looks mostly like you've got some bits mixed up somewhat. The only bit where I have seen the 1.1 m was in connection with the tide measurements, where some charts showed measurements at some naval station at the golf. Since Chao Phray actually does slope a bit (that's why the river flows toward the golf most of the time) one then had to subtract 1.1 m from the naval station's figures to get the water dephts of Chao Phrao at Bangkok - apparently because the bottom of the river is 1.1 meter ASL around there. While, you are right about between the 0.5 to 2.0 meter ASL for Bangkok, the average height ASL in Pathum Thani and other places North of the barricades is generally 2+ meter which is why the flood water don't just stay up there without artificial blockage.

Thanks for this Max.

Yeah which is why living in Si Kan & 8.5 to 9m above sea level we never thought we'd be flooded but guess what :angry: ?

Sorry, but it looks mostly like you've got some bits mixed up somewhat. The only bit where I have seen the 1.1 m was in connection with the tide measurements, where some charts showed measurements at some naval station at the golf. Since Chao Phray actually does slope a bit (that's why the river flows toward the golf most of the time) one then had to subtract 1.1 m from the naval station's figures to get the water dephts of Chao Phrao at Bangkok - apparently because the bottom of the river is 1.1 meter ASL around there. While, you are right about between the 0.5 to 2.0 meter ASL for Bangkok, the average height ASL in Pathum Thani and other places North of the barricades is generally 2+ meter which is why the flood water don't just stay up there without artificial blockage.

Could be I guess. If it is 2+meter up there, then the numbers on the Dr. Seri pictures look even better.

Looking at all the news about opening the 3 gates at Mahasawat and more removal of the BBB, the water up there should drain a little faster now.

Meanwhile, the water at Ram Inthra KM.8 area keeps receding. You can see the road for the first time today of the side sois of Ram Inthra soi 67 we can see from the office.

Nawamin close to KM.8 is still deep.

If you need to get from Ram Inthra to Tesco Nawamin (for example) take this route.

http://g.co/maps/78k3v

Suwintawong road (Highway 304) from Ramkhamheng toward Chachaengsao is now passable for cars. The road is badly damaged so try to follow other cars--some big holes and some torn-up pavement.

The water is now less than knee deep in most parts. You can see the front license plates on cars and taxis. They had to do some major pumping since this morning it was not passable for cars.

Hopefully no new water will fill in the water pumped out.

Can anyone please confirm if it is possible to access Nakhon Nayok Road FROM the North bound Dong Muang Tollway. On Thursday we drove from Klong 4 in our sedan along Nakhon Nayok Road towards Future Park and we were able to get up onto the Tollway towards Bangkok. However, I am not sure if we can come back the same way. The Outer Ring Road is normally more convenient but the North bound Thanyaburi Tollgate had a 5km queue on Thursday evening (around 6pm).

Suwintawong road (Highway 304) from Ramkhamheng toward Chachaengsao is now passable for cars. The road is badly damaged so try to follow other cars--some big holes and some torn-up pavement.

The water is now less than knee deep in most parts. You can see the front license plates on cars and taxis. They had to do some major pumping since this morning it was not passable for cars.

Hopefully no new water will fill in the water pumped out.

Thank you for the information.

tomorrow return from Bang Len to Bangkok. Thai locals suggested me to go via motorway #346, through Lat Lum Kaeo, Bang Chang, then cross the river at Bang Klang, and then join the Bang Pa-in-Pak Kret Expressway at Bang Kadi.

since couple of areas were just recovered from heavy flood, any idea on the road situation along this direction ?

Where is it flooding right now? I'm returning to rangsit, klong 2 today, does anyone have the latest on the flood situation there? I understand future park has been open over a week, does that mean the situation in surrounding areas is also improving? If people can go shopping then it must be. Oh, and is immigration open in Chaeng Wattana Road? I looked on their website and it said only big trucks can get there, so I guess a taxi is not going to take me. Anyone got any uptodate info would be gratefully received, thankyou.

Where is it flooding right now? I'm returning to rangsit, klong 2 today, does anyone have the latest on the flood situation there? I understand future park has been open over a week, does that mean the situation in surrounding areas is also improving? If people can go shopping then it must be. Oh, and is immigration open in Chaeng Wattana Road? I looked on their website and it said only big trucks can get there, so I guess a taxi is not going to take me. Anyone got any uptodate info would be gratefully received, thankyou.

Bit old news as I was down Chaeng Wattana yesterday and immigration is accesible by all vehicles