Marrying A Thai Woman And Staying In Thailand,How Long To Get Thai Nationality

I would say if you can be bothered jumping through the hoops and qualify etc, the very best time you could expect would be 8-10 years from now

I hope you realise that its not just a case of marrying a Thai lady and sitting back and waiting a few years to be issued a passport

I would say if you can be bothered jumping through the hoops and qualify etc, the very best time you could expect would be 8-10 years from now

I hope you realise that its not just a case of marrying a Thai lady and sitting back and waiting a few years to be issued a passport

+1 , end of story.

You will soon meet the Thai bureaucracy when you want to get married, remember you will need the letter from your Embassy, the translation, then the certification from the MFA, then you can get married.

Residency is a big thing and needs a lot of things to have been done, like working and paying tax in Thailand, donations to charities (registered with receipts), being of good character, and many other things. It is not "Oh I married a Thai, I want Thai nationality", be prepared for a long long wait to even get qualified for it.

And don't forget your yearly extensions to your Visa mean 400,000baht in a bank account or an income of 40,000baht per month (one or the other), and the Bank account has to be in your name only, NOT JOINT!!!

Edited by beano2274

Being married to a Thai you can apply for Thai nationality straight away without the need for having PR first. After a few years, if you have a child together that time is shortend. I I recall correctly it is 5 years and 3 years if you have a child.

As has been said, one needs to work in Thailand with a workpermit and pay taxes.

Mario,

Is there a thread that addresses this issue? I've thought about PR but the wait is rediculous. I've been married to a Thai for 12 years, have lived here 13 years and worked for 11 years and paid taxes until I retired 2 years ago. I've heard about this but can't seem to find anything.

Being married to a Thai you can apply for Thai nationality straight away without the need for having PR first. After a few years, if you have a child together that time is shortend. I I recall correctly it is 5 years and 3 years if you have a child.

As has been said, one needs to work in Thailand with a workpermit and pay taxes.

YOU NEED PERMANENT RESIDENCE NOT FOR GETTING THAI CITIZENSHIP. After you get marry you gou to your Amper office an apply for a for a tabien baan for foreigner, for getting that documente they will ask you for a birth certificate, tabien somrot, the tabien baan for you wife , some photos and i remember not what else, after getting your tabien baan( teh yellow one) you need to get a job here , pay taxes , have a baby and then wait for 5 years and after that you can apply for Thai ctizenship, but you need to earn at least 40000 bat/month otherwise you will get citizenship not, that was the way in which i got it, and i can tell you that getting Thai citizenship is more more easier that getting permanent residence, ahhh i almost forgot it , you must to learn to speak thai(read and write) pretty well too, good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm retired but did make over 40000 baht per month and paid taxes. However, if going back to work and having a child is a requirement I think that I'll pass. Going to immigration every year and basically having no rights isn't really a big deal anymore. But it might be the information that the OP is really looking for.

YOU NEED PERMANENT RESIDENCE NOT FOR GETTING THAI CITIZENSHIP. After you get marry you gou to your Amper office an apply for a for a tabien baan for foreigner, for getting that documente they will ask you for a birth certificate, tabien somrot, the tabien baan for you wife , some photos and i remember not what else, after getting your tabien baan( teh yellow one) you need to get a job here , pay taxes , have a baby and then wait for 5 years and after that you can apply for Thai ctizenship, but you need to earn at least 40000 bat/month otherwise you will get citizenship not, that was the way in which i got it, and i can tell you that getting Thai citizenship is more more easier that getting permanent residence, ahhh i almost forgot it , you must to learn to speak thai(read and write) pretty well too, good luck!

Mario,

Is there a thread that addresses this issue? I've thought about PR but the wait is rediculous. I've been married to a Thai for 12 years, have lived here 13 years and worked for 11 years and paid taxes until I retired 2 years ago. I've heard about this but can't seem to find anything.

This one gives a lot of answers

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Story-Thai-Citizenship-Applicatio-t121353.html

Thanks,

After reading it it looks like it's something that I'll do in my next life, but it does pertain to the OPs question.

Mario,

This one gives a lot of answers

http://www.thaivisa....io-t121353.html