Walking My Dogs

rickthailand

hi does anyone know of a place like a park,trail or something like that where i can take my 2 dogs for walks without there being any soi dogs??

i can drive there with the car so if it is a bit out of the way it isn't a big problem i live in san sai

thanx

rick

If you take the Chiang Rai road turn left at the large crossing after the Doi Saket turnoff towards the reservoir, go for about a kilometer keep to the main road and on the left hand side you will see the Pang Faen Resort, address 116 M. 5 Pameang. You can drive in and park and then walk dogs through the grounds and into the forest area beyond. Although there are a couple of Soi type dogs in the grounds they are no problem and the owner always gives you a good welcome. The restaurant is quite good and you can have a cold beer after your long walk or even take a swim in the very large pool.

I've given up on the dream of a soi dog free walk or local dogs with careless owners. Now i just carry a stick and either drag it behind me or tap it as I walk. Guess the soi dogs know the noise of a stick cause they keep their distance.

Edited by CMSteve

If you take the Chiang Rai road turn left at the large crossing after the Doi Saket turnoff towards the reservoir, go for about a kilometer keep to the main road and on the left hand side you will see the Pang Faen Resort, address 116 M. 5 Pameang. You can drive in and park and then walk dogs through the grounds and into the forest area beyond. Although there are a couple of Soi type dogs in the grounds they are no problem and the owner always gives you a good welcome. The restaurant is quite good and you can have a cold beer after your long walk or even take a swim in the very large pool.

i second that. Very calm and spacious area there.

I wish I had something positive to add. I'm so glad we found a wonderful new home for our dog before we left the U.S in 2008. I visited her after she'd been in her new home for a month and, while she was happy to see me, it was evident she didn't want to leave her new teenage co-pack members.

I know of several people who have gone to great expense and trouble to bring their dogs here from the U.S., only to have them die of snake bite in the garden or (worse yet) die from attack by a soi dog.

A cat found us once we came to Thailand. That's probably the best way to have a pet here -- let one find you, rather than spending big baht to bring one over here.

I have never had problems with Huay Tung Tao even though they have soi dogs where there is human activity. I take my three large dogs swimming there away from the restaurants and human swimming areas.

The north-west side of the lake doesn't get a lot of human activity/soi dogs and one can use the paved road snaking around the lake to walk your dogs there w/o being bothered...At most, there are a few bicyclists that whiz by and maybe another walker or two...

CB

I have never had problems with Huay Tung Tao even though they have soi dogs where there is human activity. I take my three large dogs swimming there away from the restaurants and human swimming areas.

The north-west side of the lake doesn't get a lot of human activity/soi dogs and one can use the paved road snaking around the lake to walk your dogs there w/o being bothered...At most, there are a few bicyclists that whiz by and maybe another walker or two...

CB

Not a problem by me, but I understood dogs were not allowed to swim in Huay Tung Tao. Can't think why. Hope you don't get stopped.

CMMCB

• 3 weeks later...

Is this place on the main reservoir road that runs along the canal? Can't seem to find the place on google maps...