150 Baht & Under

KRS1

Maybe slightly off the point but what is the deal with all the Thais that have thyroid problems. I found out my next door neighbour had this, then as I got curious uncovered a host of others - friend of other neighbour, even our postman!

This may explain it:

Abstract

The effect of monosodium glutamate (MSG) on the thyroid gland of mice is studied. MSG induces marked histological changes in the thyroid tissue, indicative of hypothyroidism. The follicular epithelium, is greatly compressed and the follicles have enlarged due to distension with the accumulation of colloid. The histological picture of the thyroid gland remains unchanged for the animals sacrificed after short-term (13 weeks) and long-term (52 weeks) treatment. MSG, therefore, has a cumulative effect.

MSG & Hyperthyroidism

Thank you for that. I have always avoided MSG and try to avoid all the pesticides. So fingers crossed!

The next thing on my list is to try and source some health friendly sauces for cooking.

But with the pesticide and MSG data all pointing to the thyroid issue the Thais seem to be stuffed!

Organochlorine & Thyroid hormone levels

Thyroid dysfunction

ummm can we kinda concentrate on western/farang food guys? We all know how cheap thai food is.

There are loads of farang places with loads of options under 150 Baht. You can pull up many menu's online or look at MOW menu list for restaurants.

You must know a good percentage of them - I'm not sure why you want us to tell you what to eat?

You know what you like. smile.gif

Why?...Because I can ?

How many times have you been to a restaurant only to be disappointed?....

How many times have you been mislead by sponsors spamming?

ummm can we kinda concentrate on western/farang food guys? We all know how cheap thai food is.

There are loads of farang places with loads of options under 150 Baht. You can pull up many menu's online or look at MOW menu list for restaurants.

You must know a good percentage of them - I'm not sure why you want us to tell you what to eat?

Why?...Because I can ?

B e c a u s e Yo u C a n........

Hey.... you really got me there pardner,...... with those city slick answers......and you know what?

I never saw them coming. rolleyes.gif

Edited by uptheos

Why?...Because I can ?

B e c a u s e Yo u C a n........

Hey.... you really got me there pardner,...... with those city slick answers......and you know what?

I never saw them coming. rolleyes.gif

What kind of answer did you expect the OP to give

Its an interesting thread, I enjoy reading about different posters "go-to" place for a decent western fix that they enjoy

Stop derailing these things with attacks

• 4 weeks later...

I think the PunPun Superman breakfast slips in just under 150B after Thai Visa discount, though I'm not sure.

I would say Gecko Fish and Chips, but service was so bad last time I'm not in any rush to recommend it any more.

Subway goes down a treat when I'm craving western food, make it the daily special, foot long and you should be able to squeeze in a cookie under 150B.

Som Tam, Kao Niaw, Gai Yang (papaya salad, sticky rice and chicken - a whole one) squeezes in at less than 150B, west side of the moat, between 7/11 and Chiang Mai Ram does it well.

But really, my favourite dish for under 150B has to be Pad Grapaou Moo Kai Dao (laad kao) with a side order of Pak Boong Fai Daeng (that's fried pork with holy basil and a fried egg over rice with a side order of fried morning glory for newbies). Just so long as they don't tone the spices down for the white guy!

Do you have a recommended place to get good Pak Boong Fai Daeng (a really spicy one)?

Assuming you mean Farang food, The Olde Bell have:-

Sausage Hash Sliced Pork Sausage, Fried Potato and fried Onions 100

Mixed VegetableIndian Curry with rice Medium Spicy vegetarian 100

Spaghetti Bolognese 100

Home Made Beef and Onion Stew 110

Prime Pork Steak withOnion Gravy, Mashed Potato and seasonal vegetables 130

Fish fingers Succulent Dory Fish Slices in Golden Breadcrumbs, chips and baked beans 130

Bangers and Mash PorkSausages and Mashed Potato in a Rich Gravy 140

Aubergine Parmigiano Australia's National Dish in veggie form vegetarian 140

Vegetable Lasagne vegetarian 140

Homemade Shepherd's Pie Minced beef and onion topped with Mashed Potato 140

Chicken Fillets in Barbecue Sauce, Served with Chips and Carrots 140

If you live in Northern Thailand and sign up for our Gold Card you can get 10% off these prices.

Great Value meals for local residents at under 3 pounds. or 5 Aussie Dollars!

Pedr,

I am drooling already - you are very cruel. I am stuck in UK for another 3 weeks on chicken and rice !!!

see you soon

Bob

Edited by blackpoolbob

I'm not sure the name of it but its a Thai place a little north along the river from the Rimping market (east of the square one). It is both cheap and really good. I usually get Khao Soi (35), Somtam (35), water (10) and this pork in northern curry (50). That is a lot of food and it makes for a good and balanced meal. You can find the place by looking for a large (often crowded) Vietnamese restaurant nearby. Also, in front of the place are usually signs advertising a few dishes - pad Thai and Khao Soi specifically.

Otherwise if I am going to a western place I've long ago given up and now just go to The Dukes. I think it is (easily) worth the extra money - the quality is just so much higher than any other western place I've been to. Frankly I've found the food at every other full blown western place to be supremely mediocre. I also like Mexican, sometimes, though...

wife and I love this place. we went there last night and got a Northern Thai combo set with 5 different main course items in a big round partitioned platter for 139 baht, I believe, with sticky rice being 10 baht. Good wooden tables and chairs, airy, green plants all over, fast service, and the cook really knows what they are doing. I didn't think we could eat it all...but we did. Highly recommended. Park right in front on the street.

I'm not sure the name of it but its a Thai place a little north along the river from the Rimping market (east of the square one). It is both cheap and really good. I usually get Khao Soi (35), Somtam (35), water (10) and this pork in northern curry (50). That is a lot of food and it makes for a good and balanced meal. You can find the place by looking for a large (often crowded) Vietnamese restaurant nearby. Also, in front of the place are usually signs advertising a few dishes - pad Thai and Khao Soi specifically.

Otherwise if I am going to a western place I've long ago given up and now just go to The Dukes. I think it is (easily) worth the extra money - the quality is just so much higher than any other western place I've been to. Frankly I've found the food at every other full blown western place to be supremely mediocre. I also like Mexican, sometimes, though...

wife and I love this place. we went there last night and got a Northern Thai combo set with 5 different main course items in a big round partitioned platter for 139 baht, I believe, with sticky rice being 10 baht. Good wooden tables and chairs, airy, green plants all over, fast service, and the cook really knows what they are doing. I didn't think we could eat it all...but we did. Highly recommended. Park right in front on the street.

If this place you are talking about is right next-door to the Vietnamese place then I too can highly recommend this place. I can't think of the name at the moment. They serve Lanna, some Burmese and Shan food, all cooked to perfection and at very reasonable prices. Menu is translated into perfect English and there is a very large variety. It is very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. There is an old vacant teak Lanna building in the back that was a hotel at one time. It is a beautiful old building if you are into old Lanna architecture.

Edit: I might add that this place would definitely fall into the 150 Baht category. I again went there just recently with a friend and we ordered quite a lot of food and the bill was about 200 Baht for 2 people.

Edited by elektrified

If this place you are talking about is right next-door to the Vietnamese place then I too can highly recommend this place. I can't think of the name at the moment. They serve Lanna, some Burmese and Shan food, all cooked to perfection and at very reasonable prices. Menu is translated into perfect English and there is a very large variety. It is very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. There is an old vacant teak Lanna building in the back that was a hotel at one time. It is a beautiful old building if you are into old Lanna architecture.

Edit: I might add that this place would definitely fall into the 150 Baht category. I again went there just recently with a friend and we ordered quite a lot of food and the bill was about 200 Baht for 2 people.

Let me see if I can figure out directions? Going from Nawarat bridge towards San Kampheang , turn right at the light going along the Ping and turn left just before the Rimping supermarket, down that street somewhere?

Let me see if I can figure out directions? Going from Nawarat bridge towards San Kampheang , turn right at the light going along the Ping and turn left just before the Rimping supermarket, down that street somewhere?

When you turn right from Narawat Bridge onto the street that goes along the river (Dukes on your left)... before Dukes is the large Vietnamese restaurant. Just before the Vietnamese place is the restaurant. It is called Naam Mae Ping. In between Naam Mae Ping and the Vietnamese place is the old Lanna hotel building which is set back a little.

O.K I re-read your post and basically you have it. But if you are close to Rimping you have gone too far. It is before Dukes.

Went to the above mentioned Northern Thai food restaurant and both I and the other half thought it was top notch Lana food. My gf does a better gaeng kae, but there was no complaints about about any of the 5 portions on the platter.

And at 203B for 2, we'll be back.

Think the name is simply MaeNamPing.

I was at Nam Mae Ping again the other day with the g/f, this time during the lunch hour. It was absolutely packed with Bangkok tourists. Had another excellent meal. 4 dishes, rice, and drinks = 206 Baht.

Just to clarify one thing. There are actually 3 restaurants right next to each other. I didn't notice one before which I thought was an extension to the Vietnamese place but its actually a third restaurant. So, Nam Mae Ping is the last of the 3 places closest to the C.M. Christian School (and closest to the Narawat Bridge).

Edited by elektrified