150 Baht & Under

KRS1

So what's your favorite dining dish for 150 baht and under? Looking for others to add to my list. Portions should be adequate to fill you up.

My usuals are:

1) Paradise Pizza - 2 slice deal with drink (115 baht)

2) Miguels - tamale plate with beans and rice (140 baht)

3) Burger King - Whopper

150 Baht?.......

Thanin Market.....would get 3 dishes (eg. chicken penang + shrimps with beansprouts + sweet basil stir fry with chicken/pork + rice, many other options) + free soup + soft drink, enough for two!

Bargain would come to 135 baht, so even a bit of change left over! smile.gif

Edited by kjhbigv

Two slices of pizza fills you up? How big are the slices?

or, how small is your stomach?

personally, i enjoy going out to the restaurant by the river, in SanSai, (mooban sanpapao, the wife says) (towards the jasmine developments. Excellent northern food dishes, lots of sliced fried garlic with the pork and chicken... about 40 baht each, with some sticky rice. 2 dishes and sticky rice works out under 150 baht

Two slices of pizza fills you up? How big are the slices?

Pretty big, bigger than Pizza Co...were a little bigger a couple months ago i think. Pretty much the same size as a slice you'd get in NYC.

Edited by KRS1

I think the PunPun Superman breakfast slips in just under 150B after Thai Visa discount, though I'm not sure.

I would say Gecko Fish and Chips, but service was so bad last time I'm not in any rush to recommend it any more.

Subway goes down a treat when I'm craving western food, make it the daily special, foot long and you should be able to squeeze in a cookie under 150B.

Som Tam, Kao Niaw, Gai Yang (papaya salad, sticky rice and chicken - a whole one) squeezes in at less than 150B, west side of the moat, between 7/11 and Chiang Mai Ram does it well.

But really, my favourite dish for under 150B has to be Pad Grapaou Moo Kai Dao (laad kao) with a side order of Pak Boong Fai Daeng (that's fried pork with holy basil and a fried egg over rice with a side order of fried morning glory for newbies). Just so long as they don't tone the spices down for the white guy!

Graprow Gai with extra red chillies and cow neow, about 40bht

Chicken with basil and chilli with sticky rice

or

GueyTeow moo dairg sen lek nam sai, with geow grop, 30bht

Noodle soup with red pork and crunchy dumplings

Edited by ludditeman

like the beef steak set from teppen on the bottom floor of kad suan kaw next to subways for 129 baht you get soup salad vegetables with steak and garlic rice also 3 dips for this very good for the price .

Thai food has to be masaman gai for 40 baht at chef peak in jed yod .

Edited by rakchaingmai

Assuming you mean Farang food, The Olde Bell have:-

Sausage Hash Sliced Pork Sausage, Fried Potato and fried Onions 100

Mixed VegetableIndian Curry with rice Medium Spicy vegetarian 100

Spaghetti Bolognese 100

Home Made Beef and Onion Stew 110

Prime Pork Steak withOnion Gravy, Mashed Potato and seasonal vegetables 130

Fish fingers Succulent Dory Fish Slices in Golden Breadcrumbs, chips and baked beans 130

Bangers and Mash PorkSausages and Mashed Potato in a Rich Gravy 140

Aubergine Parmigiano Australia's National Dish in veggie form vegetarian 140

Vegetable Lasagne vegetarian 140

Homemade Shepherd's Pie Minced beef and onion topped with Mashed Potato 140

Chicken Fillets in Barbecue Sauce, Served with Chips and Carrots 140

If you live in Northern Thailand and sign up for our Gold Card you can get 10% off these prices.

Great Value meals for local residents at under 3 pounds. or 5 Aussie Dollars!

Edited by OldeBellPedr

like the beef steak set from teppen on the bottom floor of kad suan kaw next to subways for 129 baht you get soup salad vegetables with steak and garlic rice also 3 dips for this very good for the price .

Thai food has to be masaman gai for 40 baht at chef peak in jed yod .

Agreed!

They also serve a great , tasty and filling Okonomiyaki for all of 49 baht. That's a meal in itself.

Cheers.

The Chiangmai Grandview buffet lunch 142 baht. Soup, salads, western food, Japanese food and Thai with a range of desserts. As much as you need to fill you up :blink:

We tried that a few weeks ago and were'nt impressed! The Western food offerings were pretty dire. The buffet at the Holiday Inn was much better quality and at 199 baht on weekdays, excellent value.

The Chiangmai Grandview buffet lunch 142 baht. Soup, salads, western food, Japanese food and Thai with a range of desserts. As much as you need to fill you up :blink:

We tried that a few weeks ago and were'nt impressed! The Western food offerings were pretty dire. The buffet at the Holiday Inn was much better quality and at 199 baht on weekdays, excellent value.

Agreed I was there two weeks ago and very disappointed. Had been there six months ago and it was great.

I noticed you put your menu up are they all your favorites. :D

I'm not sure the name of it but its a Thai place a little north along the river from the Rimping market (east of the square one). It is both cheap and really good. I usually get Khao Soi (35), Somtam (35), water (10) and this pork in northern curry (50). That is a lot of food and it makes for a good and balanced meal. You can find the place by looking for a large (often crowded) Vietnamese restaurant nearby. Also, in front of the place are usually signs advertising a few dishes - pad Thai and Khao Soi specifically.

Otherwise if I am going to a western place I've long ago given up and now just go to The Dukes. I think it is (easily) worth the extra money - the quality is just so much higher than any other western place I've been to. Frankly I've found the food at every other full blown western place to be supremely mediocre. I also like Mexican, sometimes, though...

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

ummm can we kinda concentrate on western/farang food guys? We all know how cheap thai food is.

There are loads of farang places with loads of options under 150 Baht. You can pull up many menu's online or look at MOW menu list for restaurants.

You must know a good percentage of them - I'm not sure why you want us to tell you what to eat?

You know what you like. smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

Maybe slightly off the point but what is the deal with all the Thais that have thyroid problems. I found out my next door neighbour had this, then as I got curious uncovered a host of others - friend of other neighbour, even our postman!

There is a fairly plausible connection that has been studied regarding pesticides and thyroid function and it really does make you wonder.

I don't eat out that much mostly because I like to know what goes in my food. Now my cautiousness has been upped a notch .

Normally if I meet friends for lunch its Pun Pun behind Wat Suan Dokh - that's the place that is least likely to kill me!

Maybe slightly off the point but what is the deal with all the Thais that have thyroid problems. I found out my next door neighbour had this, then as I got curious uncovered a host of others - friend of other neighbour, even our postman!

This may explain it:

Abstract

The effect of monosodium glutamate (MSG) on the thyroid gland of mice is studied. MSG induces marked histological changes in the thyroid tissue, indicative of hypothyroidism. The follicular epithelium, is greatly compressed and the follicles have enlarged due to distension with the accumulation of colloid. The histological picture of the thyroid gland remains unchanged for the animals sacrificed after short-term (13 weeks) and long-term (52 weeks) treatment. MSG, therefore, has a cumulative effect.

MSG & Hyperthyroidism