Anybody Know About Monk Procession On The 27Th

junglechef

Reliable! ;)

Seems the poster doesn't say what time, but it does say this Sunday 27 November on Chang Klan road.

Be aware this is one of those Dhammakaya sect ginormous 'Buddhism-on-steroids' gigs. Not too fond of those guys.

I think Buddhism was fine for 2500 odd years, it doesn't need grand scale Disneyfication. (IMHO, of course)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Reliable! ;)

Seems the sign doesn't say what time, but it does say this Sunday 27 November on Chang Klan road.

Be aware this is one of those Dhammakaya sect ginormous 'Buddhism-on-steroids' gigs. Not too fond of those guys.

Ha, ha good one 'Buddhism-on-steroids'

Definitely Buddhism on something, they are really into the "bigger is better" philosophy.

If anyone needs to catch an early morning flight from the Shangri la they better order themselves a helicopter!! :lol:

winnie.

re ... Seems the poster doesn't say what time, but it does say this Sunday 27 November on Chang Klan road.

ill bump this thread coz i dont know if this poster is to do with the monks on chiang klan or the shan new year

so please translate it for us : )

dave2

ps .. pics taken today at thapae gate

post-42592-0-97593100-1322223374_thumb.j

post-42592-0-20312100-1322223403_thumb.j

They do it every year. Nothing new. Sometimes 10,000, other times 20,000, etc.

It has nothing to do with floods in Bangkok, new year or anything else as far as I know. It's an annual event here.

I can't imagine who would bother getting up at that time of day just to see monks walking down the street!

winnie.

re ... Seems the poster doesn't say what time, but it does say this Sunday 27 November on Chang Klan road.

ill bump this thread coz i dont know if this poster is to do with the monks on chiang klan or the shan new year

dave2

This poster is a different one. It is inviting people to participate in alms giving every morning at Huay Kaew (around the park at the west end of the road) and also on Rachadamnoen Rd.

cmsally

re ... i dont know if this poster is to do with the monks on chiang klan or the shan new year

bugger ... its neither of them !

csnt .. re .. Anyone have any good Monk photos? .... is this any good ?

thanks sally ... dave2 ... wrong again : (

post-42592-0-18981200-1322227205_thumb.j

winnie.

dave2

Agree with the previous poster, this is a different event.

They do it every year. Nothing new. Sometimes 10,000, other times 20,000, etc.

It has nothing to do with floods in Bangkok, new year or anything else as far as I know. It's an annual event here.

It's true they do it regularly, but the text on the original sign does state that it's also for flood relief in Bangkok.

I would get up to see the Monks

Guess what, you can do it every day of the year in every town or village in Thailand. There wouldn't be a billion monks present of course, though you can't give alms to the lot of them anyway.

Buddhism--Supersized!

I can't imagine who would bother getting up at that time of day just to see monks walking down the street!

Lots of Thai Buddhists do. Take a look any morning near any temple or market. Back when Chiang Mai actually had nightlife that lasted into the night and not just the evening, I often saw them in the early morning hours. That's why they wear orange, so you can see them crossing the road.