Jimi Hendrix Named Greatest-Ever Guitarist

webfact

Jimi Hendrix named greatest-ever guitarist

Los Angeles - Rock magazine Rolling Stone on Wednesday named Jimi Hendrix the greatest guitarist of all time.

The legendary American axe-player topped four Britons who also came of age during rock’s formative years in the 1960s: Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Keith Richards and Jeff Beck.

The list was compiled by a panel of dozens of top guitarists selected by the magazine. Hendrix, who died from a drug overdose in 1970, eased effortless grace in his playing, said guitarist Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine.

"There’s not one minute of his recorded career that feels like he’s working hard at it," Morello wrote. "It feels like it’s all flowing through him.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-24

All mentioned were certainly groundbreaking (bar Clapton) ...but "The Best"?

Not a chance.

What was their criteria? Seems like nostalgia always rules reality and actual ability in these "Best Ever" polls.

Whither BB King, Albert Lee, Satriani, Mustaine, Gilmour... to name but a few?

You really should rethink your history starting here...

post-81722-0-05546700-1322109758_thumb.j

Erm, rethink and start a history of The Blues....with John Mayall and Eric Clapton.... are you for real?

Were I looking at a history of The (electric) Blues I'd start with the American greats like Walker, King and Hooker.

The likes of Mayall and Clapton were only continuing and slightly progressing a well established genre even in the 60s.

Hendrix at least pushed the boundaries back, if not smashed them at times and deserves credit for that.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Les Paul invented the electric guitar, and played it pretty much the same as he had been playing acoustic guitar.

Chuck Berry came along and squeezed sounds out of the electric guitar that proved this was a new instrument.

Hendrix took the electric guitar to another place, and it's still there.

crowded into the back seat of a VW and blowin' weed with fellow local degenerates in 1967 in some shithole in eastern LA county(after 18 months in Bolivia) and the guy who played lead in the band I useta be in said as they slid 'Are you experienced?' into the 8 track: 'check this out tutsi...a crazy n*gger on acid that you won't believe...' and I couldn't believe my ears...truly original music...never heard nothin' like it before and probably the most memorable popular music experience that I've had...listening to Jimi Hendrix for the first time...'Purple haze' comes up first on the A side, followed by 'Manic depression' and 'Hey, Joe'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Not a chance.

What was their criteria? Seems like nostalgia always rules reality and actual ability in these "Best Ever" polls.

I agree with Hendrix #1

and I think BB King would edge Clapton out of 2nd (and I'm sure Clapton would agree).

But where was Carlos Santana in the top 10??? He's much better than Keith Richards or Pete Townsend.

Edit: and no Muddy Waters???

Edited by PattayaParent

Keef and Pete Townsend are good composers but their technical skills are limited, Pete was good at smashing up guitars on stage...I remember that Mick Taylor blew Keef out of the water when they were on stage together, first saw him when he was with John Mayall; wotta monster...I'm not surprised that he quit the Stones..either that or given the push by Keef...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

it wasn't just the guitar playing that made Jimi great, there were some classic lyrics as well...I useta torment my law student, politically correct former girlfriend/pardner with the line outta 'Foxy Lady': 'here I come babe...I'm comin' ta getcha...' which she thought objectionable as to her it sounded like I was gonna 'do something' to her rather than romance and etc...brutally thrusting while salivating and snarling, etc...

It is rather subjective as to the order of the list , i would have put Jeff Beck before Clapton for example but there are good guitarists that did not even make the 100 like Wes Montgromery, George Benson , Lonnie Mack, and probably the most notable abscence is Ike Turner who BB King ,in an interview i read with him , claims Ike is the best and most important guitarist in Rock'n Roll. A big claim but he should have been there in the top 100. Also where is Tommy Emanuel in the list but not everybody can be there.

Hendrix did things no one else ever thought of with a guitar , but so did Les Paul or Dick Dale ,

No one is the "Best" because they are all standing on the work of the guys before them,

But Hendrix moved it up a few notches , and yes I bought his records when they came out :)

BK

Not a chance.

Yngwei Malmsteen, Stevei Vai, Steveie Ray Vaughn, etc.

Erm, rethink and start a history of The Blues....with John Mayall and Eric Clapton.... are you for real?

Were I looking at a history of The (electric) Blues I'd start with the American greats like Walker, King and Hooker.

The likes of Mayall and Clapton were only continuing and slightly progressing a well established genre even in the 60s.

Hendrix at least pushed the boundaries back, if not smashed them at times and deserves credit for that.

So sorry Oh Fragrant One you misread my post # 4

I clearly never stated a history of 'The Blues'

It's about guitarists and Clapton is easily dismissable for his "Wonderful Tonight" etc drivel, however as you misread my post you probably also missed the aforementioned noted album.

In 1966 for good reason it certainly got the attention of Page, Richards and Beck and every other guitar player at the time including Hendrix !

I do agree that Hendrix should be at the top of the list as he was an extraordinary triple threat ie; writer, performer, player

It is rather subjective as to the order of the list , i would have put Jeff Beck before Clapton for example but there are good guitarists that did not even make the 100 like Wes Montgromery, George Benson , Lonnie Mack, and probably the most notable abscence is Ike Turner who BB King ,in an interview i read with him , claims Ike is the best and most important guitarist in Rock'n Roll. A big claim but he should have been there in the top 100. Also where is Tommy Emanuel in the list but not everybody can be there.

Ike Turner was an ace guitarist and well as a band leader and an arranger per excellence...because of his notoriety and his tempestuous relationship with Tina he often gets left out of the 'list consideration'...'The Ike and Tina Turner Revue'...man, oh man...not even Jimi or Clapton did nothin' like that...

Lets not forget Roy Buchanan - now there's a gifted guy (sadly recently deceased :-(

His rendition of Down By The River is one of my all-time fave tracks

I second Roy Buchanan. A magical player with a superb technique, and makes it look so easy. His live version of 'The Messiah Will Come Again' is sublime. Hairs prickling on the back of the neck job. Check it out on youtube.

I suppose a lot depends on the type of music you listen to and your age.

Lets not forget Mike Bloomfield, what about Phil Manzanera, Steve Hillage?

Anyway for me it doesnt get any better than this, I could listen to this band all day, and sometimes do, the masters apprentice has a go first, then the master takes over.

Enjoy, if you dont, sorry, you either get it or you dont.

My own personal favourite is David Gilmour however there are only 2 rock guitar players the were 'once in a generation' guys. They both turned the way the guitar was played on its head

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eddie Van Halen

Both of them highly underrated rhythm players as well.

I was in my teens when I first heard Eruption, even though it had been out a few years, and it was surely a life changing moment for me.

EVH also was responsible for pioneering things like SuperStrats (humbuckers and floyds in a strat) - Wax potted pickups - Dtuna ...

I don't love Jimi (blasphemy) but I do understand how important he was in the evolution of the electric guitar and why he should be at number 1