Chalerm: Burgled Suphoth Money Was Kickbacks

webfact

How do you explain 1 milion in cash in a house safe let alone 5 or 20. I can't wait to find out...more suspense than the best soap opera on TV.

We are all assuming that the recovered money all came from the house and that nobody thought that the loss of half a million bucks in a setup wouldn't be well worth the money?

The government clearly needed this event with the bad press they had been getting and who better to implicate than the BJT and replace a permanent secretary in a top portfolio at the same time.

Can't see any other place than Suphoth's house mentioned so where are we to assume the money came from? Even Suphoth admits to having 5 million missing in the burgulary despite over 17 million being found on the burgulars. The 12 difference may have come from somewhere else but nobody is saying so.

You may feel the Bhumjaithai Party (BJT) (Thai: พรรคภูมิใจไทย), Phak Bhum Jai Thai, or Thai Pride Party are implicated but there is no such evidence so far. That is like saying the whole of PT are as guilty as Thaksin.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love how everyone blames the current gov't for this. It's just a diversion; it's politically motivated etc. etc.. If Supoth didn't take money illegally then this break in would not have netted much, would it?

Without an explanation for this huge amount of money in cash, there is little to assume except that he is a thief and has been sprung. May this be a lesson to others.

I love how the current government blames the other parties for this. :rolleyes:

It's human nature to blame someone else. What they are really is all in bed together; screwing each other. That's Thai nature.

And Jesus sayeth to the Mob "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

I love how everyone blames the current gov't for this. It's just a diversion; it's politically motivated etc. etc.. If Supoth didn't take money illegally then this break in would not have netted much, would it?

Without an explanation for this huge amount of money in cash, there is little to assume except that he is a thief and has been sprung. May this be a lesson to others.

I love how the current government blames the other parties for this. :rolleyes:

It's human nature to blame someone else. What they are really is all in bed together; screwing each other. That's Thai nature.

And Jesus sayeth to the Mob "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

I started rock tossing a long time ago. My wall safe contains my passport, bank book, land deed and other items of insignificant value. Like to think that I had the odd 5 million baht "petty cash" just laying around to put in there as well .. but I don't and probably never will.

How do you explain 1 milion in cash in a house safe let alone 5 or 20. I can't wait to find out...more suspense than the best soap opera on TV.

We are all assuming that the recovered money all came from the house and that nobody thought that the loss of half a million bucks in a setup wouldn't be well worth the money?

The government clearly needed this event with the bad press they had been getting and who better to implicate than the BJT and replace a permanent secretary in a top portfolio at the same time.

Can't see any other place than Suphoth's house mentioned so where are we to assume the money came from? Even Suphoth admits to having 5 million missing in the burgulary despite over 17 million being found on the burgulars. The 12 difference may have come from somewhere else but nobody is saying so.

You may feel the Bhumjaithai Party (BJT) (Thai: พรรคภูมิใจไทย), Phak Bhum Jai Thai, or Thai Pride Party are implicated but there is no such evidence so far. That is like saying the whole of PT are as guilty as Thaksin.

There is so much about this case that doesn't add up. I hope the truth will come out but for sure this is a murky as it gets.

There is so much about this case that doesn't add up.

Including the amount of cash involved.....he..he..

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company

So the Japanese backed out and are therefore NOT a part of this corruption case. But what about Sino Thai? If they are involved they too should be called to explain....

The guilty are not just those that take in corruption but those who give as well.....

It strikes me that Mr T is fighting a corruption conviction, what a better way to get to the amnesty by showing how corrupt the opposition is.

Thaksin is not and never has fought his conviction. To do so he would have to return to Thailand and attempt a retrial or appeal. What he has done is run away like a coward while shouting "I'm innocent...I'm innocent"

An amnesty won't change the fact that he is a convicted criminal...it may well just release him from punishment. If you think that Thaksin drummed up the present case just to prove how corrupt the opposition is he/you missed the point because all it does is show how all Thai politiians are/could be corrupt: not just those from a particular party. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Edited by KKK

I am delighted that we have such fine upstanding politician as Khun Chalerm who is determined to wipe out corruption. In the short time he has been in post he has closed down all the gambling dens and now is targeting those public officials who are abusing their positions. I hope next it will be all those disgraceful sex establishments and perhaps while he is in full flow he could do something about those dreadful people who arrive at the airport in flip flops and vests, it really is quite appalling.

What drivel!!!

He hasn't closed down the gambling dens as they will simply magically reform somewhere else at a different location!!! The Thai's are absoutely ADDICTED to gambling and cannot survive without frittering their money away. They have gambling dens at funerals which are always packed out - this has always seemed rather disrespectful to me, but maybe I'm old fashioned or simply not Thai!!

The only reason he is doing what he is, is to save face for Yingluck's government - do you seriously think he woud have vounteered the information about the crooked poiticians if he hadn't been caught!!!!

Close down the "sex establishments" and bang goes your "testosterone charged" tourist industry. Likewise ban fip flops and vests and bang goes your "testosterone charged" tourist industry!!! On this last point, I didn't reaise that this was a heinous crime - is "fashion crime" on a par with murder?????:blink:.

sichonsteve; if had to put money on your nationality i would go for you being american , ...irony and sarcasm are just wasted on you !

I'm 50:50 on whether this is serious or sarcasm - so many of these Thaksin/PTP/Yingluck clones are in self denial at the moment and so come up with some unbelievably rediculous and laughable clap-trap that I was teetering on the edge as to the genuineness of the posters thinking.

I can understand you're taking of me from being from the USA so am not totally devastated or insulted by your accusation (I would have been under normal conditions).......but no, I'm from "good ol England". Just in case you haven't heard of us - it's the country whose cricket team are number 1 in the world and current holder of the ashes. I'm hedging my bets that you are from somewhere not too far away from current rugby union world cup champions. Tell me......am I right in my assumption!!!:jap:.

very suprised to hear your english, the original comedy that comes from the UK is second to none , .so how did you think the poster was serious about locking up vest wearing guys in flip-flops ???,........ and no, im not from the southern hemesphere , .........but we should have won the rugby world cup or at LEAST been in the final , but it was'nt to be , .and sorry none of my pets ,nor my great great grandfathers livestock were english , so sorry im not eligable to play for you ,.......im sure you can find some more saffers somewhere though !!:D

Get real!

Dems tried to back off Bhum Jai too, but didn't have the leverage at the time.

This is only revenge, if he was serious he'd go after his own partners.and THAT will never happen.

Ahh, so now you are claiming that the Democrats and the former PM Abhisit were forced to include the BJT in their administration. That's nice, but no one forced PM Abhisit to include the BJT. The current government also had to build a coalition, yet the government either by sheer luck or some political smarts did not include what is now a massive liability. Had the BJT party been included in the current government, I believe you and the usual gang of PTP bashers whould have been screaming about corruption and blaming PM Yingluck for activities that appear to have occurred during the previous military junta administration and that carried on into the Democrat administration.

I am not accusing PM Abhisit for the alleged corruption, but it is obvious, that the gentleman's political accuity was not very good. it seelms the former PM's lquest for power power and political opportunism has come back to bite him in his buttocks.

Please note that Deputy PM Chalerm is not implicated in the corruption, nor are the PTP's own partners. The allegations rest in he little corner of the political landscape that have BJT, Democrat and military junta territorial markers.

Who said forced? You did, not I. Do NOT twist my words.

If you had a valid point to make you wouldn't even try that.

Nor attempting to turn the point to bashers and the like pejorative labels.

Again no argument attack the source; It just doesn't work.

Abhisit DID put the brakes on several of Newin's schemes, and strained relations to the edge several times, that is a matter of public record.

No the fact BJT is NOW not included shows the entrench animosity, and that is coming out in this revenge scenario and the spin on it.

Just because bidding started at one point doesn't mean kickbacks aren't on going and accrue to whomever is in office at that time.

And yes certainly Sophon is right, this is a intentional distraction from the ineptitude displayed by the PTP on office so far.

I know it's a day ago but what a load of drivel. Of course Sophon et all will say it's a distraction just as they're all threatening to countersue.

Standard operating procedure in thai politics/business practice and you know it. You post all the time and you know well enough how difficult it is here to convict hi-so's.

This rail project was one of Abhisit's. Sophon was put in place by Abhisit. Sophon has been found out.

The trail leads up to the top in the BJT.

I hope this is just the beginning.

Ask questions about the governments handling of the flooding disaster and then let's ask questions about where all the flood relief funds went under Abhisit. I've read it was 160 billion baht.

We live in interesting times.

Yes, Jayboy, that is true. But not this thread and not today!

Especially since this thread is open and the perfect place for them: http://www.thaivisa....-thais-opinion/

Have the investigators been in the house and ascertained how much money was NOT stolen?

I can't say but I'm sure Chalerm has a pretty good idea and he is going for it along with opportunistic pot shots at arch enemies Newin and Supon Zarum who are indeed highly unlikely to have clean hands in this. Chalerm has long since lost his investigative sharpness that made him a formidable force in no confidence debates in the 80s, including the one that forced Prem out of politics. I very much doubt he was behind the original burglary set up but he is certainly going to maximise his political and financial take on this windfall. With a 90% money laundering fee on a few hundred mil he could buy a sh*t load of happy toilets for his sons to sh*t on.

I suppose with Chalerm it takes one to know one. The right guy for the job. Sqealing about his past record isn't going to make him go away.

Of course the PTP are going to try and make political capital. What political party wouldn't. I'm surprised at some of the naivety of some of the above posters.

I know it's a day ago but what a load of drivel. Of course Sophon et all will say it's a distraction just as they're all threatening to countersue.

Standard operating procedure in thai politics/business practice and you know it. You post all the time and you know well enough how difficult it is here to convict hi-so's.

This rail project was one of Abhisit's. Sophon was put in place by Abhisit. Sophon has been found out.

Ask questions about the governments handling of the flooding disaster and then let's ask questions about where all the flood relief funds went under Abhisit. I've read it was 160 billion baht.

"This rail project was one of Abhisit's" - Abhisit secured the loan from the Japanese in Feb 2009. That's a pretty good effort after only being in office for 6 weeks. Are you suggesting that the Japanese government paid kickbacks?

"160 billion baht" - Where did you read that? The PTP only seem to think it is 40 billion baht. Maybe you had better put them on to your new figures.

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company

So the Japanese backed out and are therefore NOT a part of this corruption case. But what about Sino Thai? If they are involved they too should be called to explain....

The guilty are not just those that take in corruption but those who give as well.....

Maybe the Japanese explained to Mr Thaksin on his recent visit. A good will gesture to help PT fight corruption. It strikes me that Mr T is fighting a corruption conviction, what a better way to get to the amnesty by showing how corrupt the opposition is.

Hear hear! 2 brilliant posts.

It's just what the good doctor ordered! As in Doctor...Oh Gawd

"This rail project was one of Abhisit's" - Abhisit secured the loan from the Japanese in Feb 2009. That's a pretty good effort after only being in office for 6 weeks. Are you suggesting that the Japanese government paid kickbacks?

"160 billion baht" - Where did you read that? The PTP only seem to think it is 40 billion baht. Maybe you had better put them on to your new figures.

It's been going on awhile. A quick search brings up from a year ago this link:

I did say that I thought I'd read of a figure around 160 billion. Even so 40 billion is about 1 billion euros.

Let's hope they can find out where that money went and get it back and they use it for flood compensation and not just more mercedes.

It's been going on awhile. A quick search brings up from a year ago this link:

http://www.thaivisa....haunts-korbsak/

I did say that I thought I'd read of a figure around 160 billion. Even so 40 billion is about 1 billion euros.

Let's hope they can find out where that money went and get it back and they use it for flood compensation and not just more mercedes.

And the link is related ... how?

Actually, the 40 billion was spent on flood relief / compensation last year. A report raised by the PTP complained because the Democrats had only said they spent 20 billion, but investigations had showed that they had spent 40 billion.

The Civil Service is far from being immune to fiefdoms, political ties that bind, and political machinations to create sympathetic players in certain positions. We are witnessing this politically manipulated change of CS player at present.

What civil service? Unless you are speaking of the US, where such appointments are political, you are making a statement that would offend many people outside of that country. What evidence do you have to support your apparent contention that this is a common practice, or that it is happening in this case?

We've been talking about Thailand.

Spend more time in Thailand,

eventually you may understand how THEY play the game here.

As for UK just watch 'Yes Minister'.

In an satire there must be a grain of truth or the dark humor wouldn't exist

If you meant that this is a problem only in Thailand you should have made that clear; I would still be interested in knowing what you know to substantiate your belief.

It's more than a little amusing that you, an American and Rubl, a Dutchman both bring up the "Yes Minister" series. I was in the UK at that time and watched this satire, presumably before you did and enjoyed its humour greatly. But I know that behind the satire and the stilted language, UK senior civil servants were at that time completely apolitical. The Crossman Diaries from which the TV series drew its inspiration, make it clear that the policies of the incoming Labour government had been studied by their civil servants and the implications were spelled out to cabinet ministers. That is the job of career bureaucrats.

I met with Crossman early in his cabinet career and we exchanged ideas in the limited time that we had. Afterwards his Civil Service PPS sought me out for further clarification on those ideas.

Since I spend 100% of my time in Thailand, it would be difficult to spend more time here to understand how THEY play the game here.

Wait, who blamed the current government of...'this'? (Do you mean corruption in general or this specific break-in?)

Wait, who blamed the current government of...'this'? (Do you mean corruption in general or this specific break-in?)

Do we even know for sure a 'break in' occurred?

It could just be a shakedown he stood up against ... and lost.

Do we even know for sure a 'break in' occurred?

It could just be a shakedown he stood up against ... and lost.

In most countries, a three time felon couldn't even be convicted on a story this thin. I'm not saying there's no fire here, but so far it's just a lot of smoke.

Look through the responses on this thread and similar ones.The usual suspects (and some others) go through tortuous lengths to bring in bring in non relevant references to suit their political prejudices.One gets the impression they can't bear the reality that this is nothing to do with the current government and that one of their hate figures Chalerm is clearly enjoying making political capital.The post immediately prior to yours for example suggests there was no break in just a set up by the current government.Granted most of the responses are not as barking mad as that but there's a clear reluctance to face the truth in the face.I accept it's reasonable to reserve one's position on this matter of course.

Meanwhile there is a resounding silence from Abhisit, whose responsibility as PM for the coalition makes him very much a relevant figure.Perhaps he is just reserving his position.Perhaps he is more focused on even more serious charges in the pipeline relating to his conduct early last year.

Who knows where this rabbit hole will lead. It also seems odd that Chalerm specifically mentions Sino-Thai Engineerings possible involvement:

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company.

Who have strong connections with another senior BJT player:

The petition claimed that Mr Chavarat's son and daughter-in-law, Mr Anuthin and Ms Sanongnuch Charnvirakul, and daughter, Ms Anilrat Nitisaroj, were major shareholders of Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Plc, which has secured several contracts with the state.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255309200034

Who knows where this rabbit hole will lead. It also seems odd that Chalerm specifically mentions Sino-Thai Engineerings possible involvement:

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company.

What??? He knew about the kickbacks, but didn't say anything before? Gee, I wonder why. :whistling:

What??? He knew about the kickbacks, but didn't say anything before? Gee, I wonder why. :whistling:

Where did he say that - the statement was made after the money was found???

Who would have told him? No one linked to the money is even acknowledging it exists.

Not being involved with the people investigating this case I am sure there is information out there not in the public domain - unfortuntely Chalerm is and I assume he knows more about what is going on than you and me and is fully determined to make political capital out of it.

Though Chalerm must rank somewhere near the top of any list of dubious politicians it does look like he is going to gnaw at this bone that has mysteriously appeared in odd circumstances. Hopefully he will get to the bottom of what has happenned here and expose state corruption to the harsh glare of publicity that is needed - if we get really lucky he will get entangled himself along with other dirty politicians from ALL parties as surely what has come out so far is only the tip of the iceberg.

Who would have told him? No one linked to the money is even acknowledging it exists.

Not being involved with the people investigating this case I am sure there is information out there not in the public domain - unfortuntely Chalerm is and I assume he knows more about what is going on than you and me and is fully determined to make political capital out of it.

Though Chalerm must rank somewhere near the top of any list of dubious politicians it does look like he is going to gnaw at this bone that has mysteriously appeared in odd circumstances. Hopefully he will get to the bottom of what has happenned here and expose state corruption to the harsh glare of publicity that is needed - if we get really lucky he will get entangled himself along with other dirty politicians from ALL parties as surely what has come out so far is only the tip of the iceberg.

Chalerm doesn't want to get to the bottom of this and expose state corruption.

He just wants to make political capital out of it. As soon as there is anything a deeper that might affect his money pit, he will become strangely silent.

He just wants to make political capital out of it. As soon as there is anything a deeper that might affect his money pit, he will become strangely silent.

Maybe so, but maybe he will push it too far in his desire to get revenge on Newin and it snowballs out of his control.

I hope next it will be all those disgraceful sex establishments and perhaps while he is in full flow he could do something about those dreadful people who arrive at the airport in flip flops and vests, it really is quite appalling.

Now now... lets slow down here, I do agree on the personages arriving in flip flops and t-shirts and would make an addtion request that any resident farangs who wear dinner plate sized buddah amulets or similar be deported and black listed immediately for their own good...:rolleyes:

And also the guys that wear black socks with shorts and sandals, disgusting.

As strangely silent as Abhisit who though clean himself seems to have connived at BJT "kin muang" activities.

More to the point I don't see how if Chalerm wants to make the most political capital of this (as his right even his responsibility) he can avoid the unvarnished truth also emerging.And isn't this a wonderful opportunity to get corruption of political parties out in the open? I don't disagree with your assessment of Chalerm.I would have thought if the Dems are honest about the past (ok a big ask) it could also be an opportunity for them.