Big Skinny Blocks Or Those Little Red Bricks For Walls ?

When building a house, are walls made form those little red bricks really much stronger than the bigger sand based cement bricks commonly used, these are only 7cm thick?

As far as I can see, the red brick is only a bit more expensive per square meter, some people say they are much stronger. the Builders are dead against them, we believe they are much more time consuming.

Any thoughts. rolleyes.gif

You are not very specific: "sand based cement bricks commonly used, these are only 7cm thick." Regular cement blocks are a lot thicker than 7 cm. If you are talking about Super Block, they have a lot more thermal and sound insulation properties than brick, and are, thus, often better in this country. I am using Super Block. A friend of mine used it and is very happy with it. It is also easier to drill. You can nail directly into it with a nail gun. It is good stuff.

If we have an earthquake, everything will fall down except wood that is not built on concrete. A burglar can bash through any wall to gain entry. So when you talk about "which is stronger?" I am not sure of your point. What difference does it make if one is a lttle stronger than the other? Neither is going to fall down under normal circumstances. Other properties are more important.

Thanks TT for your reply. I agree with everything you say, how much are super blocks? They may have a short ROI on an Air Conned house.

Below is a not so good pic of the bricks I was referring to. In Australia, these blessa blocks would be about 20cm thick, the ones we looked at near by were 7cm thick, the walls around the two holes would have been only about 12mm thick, I could just imagine drilling into that to hang a shelf or Air Con and it ripping out.

As you said, not ta hard for a sledge hammer to made a hole to walk through on any of them.

http://www.thaiworld.../jpg/img143.jpg

Are they called super blocks here?

If not, what is the Thai name?

Are they standard 40cm X 20cm ?

Edited by haveaniceday

Thanks TT for your reply. I agree with everything you say, how much are super blocks? They may have a short ROI on an Air Conned house.

Below is a not so good pic of the bricks I was referring to. In Australia, these blessa blocks would be about 20cm thick, the ones we looked at near by were 7cm thick, the walls around the two holes would have been only about 12mm thick, I could just imagine drilling into that to hang a shelf or Air Con and it ripping out.

As you said, not ta hard for a sledge hammer to made a hole to walk through on any of them.

http://www.thaiworld.../jpg/img143.jpg

Are they called super blocks here?

If not, what is the Thai name?

Are they standard 40cm X 20cm ?

He's referring to the big white bricks.

The bricks in your picture are "it block" (At least that's what it sounds like in Thai). They are more commonly used for perimeter walls around land, not for that actual house walls.

Here's a picture of the white bricks:

post-15674-0-67743400-1322280083_thumb.j

Edited by dave111223

Just a bit of technical info for you - the 'big white block' or 'super blocks' are in fact Autoclaved Aerated Lightweight Concrete Blocks they are made by several manufactures in Thailand and come in a variety of different thicknesses, 75, 100, 125, 150, 200mm but are all 600mm long x 200mm high. If you use them you must also use the correct mortar to lay them and the special render (plaster) to cover them.

We have used them on several build projects and they can help with solar gain as long as they are used with roof/ceiling insulation.

As far as I can see, the red brick is only a bit more expensive per square meter, some people say they are much stronger. the Builders are dead against them, we believe they are much more time consuming.

I've never seen a Thai builder want to build in anything other than those crap red bricks, their strength lies in the cement joints being thicker than the actual brick.

Edit: as for your 'sand based cement bricks' being only 70mm thick you can get them thicker, 70mm will give you an internal wall of 100mm when plastered, use the thicker ones on the external walls.

Edited by PattayaParent

So PPC blocks are the same as "Super Blocks" right ? Autoclaved Aerated Lightweight Concrete Blocks.

18b for 600mm X 200mm ?

I read online they are about 45b for a block.

I dunno.

Will speak to the builder today, but I doubt he has ever used them. Are they tricky to get the mortar and render right? Is it a high risk of a jack ass result being his first go at super block?

If so, I will just go with little red brick. Any tip on where to get elastic stuff to put in the mortar in Thailand?

So PPC blocks are the same as "Super Blocks" right ? Autoclaved Aerated Lightweight Concrete Blocks.

18b for 600mm X 200mm ?

I read online they are about 45b for a block.

I dunno.

Will speak to the builder today, but I doubt he has ever used them. Are they tricky to get the mortar and render right? Is it a high risk of a jack ass result being his first go at super block?

If so, I will just go with little red brick. Any tip on where to get elastic stuff to put in the mortar in Thailand?

Superblock is a totally different installation tech than grey large or red small. If you can get him a movie (Qcon, Superblock, CPAC and C-lite all have demo movies) perhaps. He should be happy if you choose these, as they are very fast build. Still insist on lintel, horisontal concrete beam 7x 15cm with rebars, mid wall or bottom of windows or above doors/windows

They suck water, so start every wall with two layers of red bricks, and all bathroom walls in redbricks, and also kitchen as they are able to carry much more load

7cm large grey bricks are not for housebuild, barely perimeter walls. they are unable to carry load/cabinet/ac, and you can kick a hole in them with your shoe

• 6 months later...