Landing @ 1Am Intl Airport

patient

This will be my first trip to Thailand and i would appreciate some clear (step by step if okay) advice.

I fly in from Sydney and land about 1am at Bangkok international airport. From there i have decided to get into the city (do either the train/s or Airport Express bus (no 4?) still run? I wish to stay somewhere around Hualamphong station as i aim to catch the No 1 north bound train: 6.10pm (2nd class sleeper) to chainmai. Does either the train/s or airport express go around that area? or maybe there is somewhere convenient in between. Do i need to book this train in advance or is it okay to just go to the station and buy a ticket?

I thought i could collapse for a few hours in a quiet (possible in the city) hotel before exploring for a few hours then catching my train. i have a small wheel based bag and small backpack so should be fairly okay to move about in but not much fun if it is raining or lots of pedestrian traffic.

Reading different forum blogs there is mixed views on changing money at the airport, i guess i could change some here with a small thai outfit in the city and then more once i get to bangkok- i will look for an AEON ATM as i have both NAB Gold card and the 28 Degree card - i believe both have the best exchange rates possible.

All suggestions will be carefully read although i will have a preference for the simpler ones - i will be quiet tired and not speaking the language makes it a challenge too.

Edited by patient

I'm sure others will have much more info, but I would either change some money when you lane (exchange booths will be open) or use your ATM card in the airport. I'm sure the exchange rate is much better here than in OZ.

I would also just take a taxi from the airport to wherever you decide to go. Maybe get a cheap hotel near the train station? You can leave your luggage there until you depart.

If you land at 1.00 and (say) clear Swampy by 1.30/2.00 then you only have 4 hours before your train goes. By the time you get to the station - and allow for sorting out your tickets (go 1st Class not 2nd) it maybe better just to kip down in the station for 3 hours ?

Thankyou craigt3365 and canopus1969 for your quick reply and thoughts.

I will change money locally on arrival.

Yes i imagine a taxi will be fast and not too expensive at that time.

My apologises for not being more specific - it is 6pm train! ie overnight to changmai-that way i arrive (hopefully) fresh. And i have left it too late to go back and edit my entry.

Last airporttrain 0.00-first at 6.01. At night only banks in airport open (yes 7/24/365-this is not strike-happy OZzieland). ANY decent guidebook-not superfluous in these www-times, also has all this info-incl. that famous brand from OZzieland.

2.You did NOT tell one of the most imptt things-for when. it seems pretty soon- well your train does NOT run at the mo-flood-aftermath. Scroll down for what I wrote about trains as per today.

3.Anyway: even if normal times resume, this train is not at all recommended-a dead slow wooden-bench seat with eternal delay- do you want to punish yourself for 14/15 hrs=much longer as your flight? The daytime sprinter at 8.20/.30 is better-and even overtakes it in the run. But a bus-or why not fly out from Swampy on AirAsia or NOK is much, much quicker, goes far more often and is not that dangerous as TV-users so often like to make of it. trains also have accidents-and pretty nasty as well.

If you land at 1.00 and (say) clear Swampy by 1.30/2.00 then you only have 4 hours before your train goes. By the time you get to the station - and allow for sorting out your tickets (go 1st Class not 2nd) it maybe better just to kip down in the station for 3 hours ?

He lands at 1 am and his intended bus leaves at 6.10 pm.

Sophon

Nothing really to worry about. Get a taxi into town and get plenty of sleep. Only issue might be difficulty getting a shower between checking out and catching the train after a day in the heat.

As for the money, AEON atms are few and far between. So if there isn't one near, it's not worth the effort to travel to one just to save 150b. Just take out more cash and dilute the cost.

Things could have changed in the last week or so, but earlier in the month, the Northern Line was only running a limited schedule due to flooding and reserved seat trains that I tried to catch were sold out. I would caution against just showing up at Hua Lamphong and hoping to pick up a ticket at the window. You may want to have your seat/cabin reserved and paid for before catching your flight. You may want to look at a domestic flight alternative. Good luck and safe travels.

thanks all for sharing your thoughts and advice, btwi am travelling on 7th december.

asanee,

i thought conditions would be okay by then for travel by train, according to http://www.thairailt...rt/default.aspx the northern route has been reopened although rerouted (i hope this website is reliable/accurate). i chose the 6pm train as it gets in at 7.45 according to http://www.seat61.co...%20Chiang%20Mai, which i thought was a good time. It is also a sleeper berth and looks pretty comfortable. However there is at least a one hour extension of time for a detour that is operating so maybe the earlier train is better. I will also reconsider air asia.

Edited by patient

Over night sleepers should always be booked ahead, especially if you want the lower (slightly wider) bunk in 2nd class.

There are often 4 classes on these trains:

1st. A small freezing cold compartment for 2 people. Fine if you like your own company or are prepared to share with an unknown male of any age who may not speak any English.

(you won't have a choice - unless you buy the other bunk as well)

2nd class aircon: The seats are made up into bunks at night by the train staff. A shared environment (although there is a curtain accross the bunk) and great for meeting people.

2nd class fan. As above. No A/C

3rd class: as a poster above made reference, just basic wooden seats. Very cheap, if not free.

There will also be restaurant car that sells alchohol.

As for not too many pedestrians: think of a very large and very busy ant colony working on the ground and you've about got it. Only they're not as organised and will walk right accross the front of you.

An on time arrival in CM would be unusual.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Over night sleepers should always be booked ahead, especially if you want the lower (slightly wider) bunk in 2nd class.

There are often 4 classes on these trains:

1st. A small freezing cold compartment for 2 people. Fine if you like your own company or are prepared to share with an unknown male of any age who may not speak any English.

(you won't have a choice - unless you buy the other bunk as well)

2nd class aircon: The seats are made up into bunks at night by the train staff. A shared environment (although there is a curtain accross the bunk) and great for meeting people.

2nd class fan. As above. No A/C

3rd class: as a poster above made reference, just basic wooden seats. Very cheap, if not free.

There will also be restaurant car that sells alchohol.

As for not too many pedestrians: think of a very large and very busy ant colony working on the ground and you've about got it. Only they're not as organised and will walk right accross the front of you.

An on time arrival in CM would be unusual.

Thanks Lancashirelad for sharing