Drowned Hondas

richardjm65

Was in a flood in Canada in 1979. A passing canoe put a scratch on the roof of my car, to give you and idea of the water depth.

I stripped the interior - had to replace seat foam as it would not dry.

Undid every electrical connection, sprayed with contact cleaner, then reassemble with dielectric grease. Also all bulb sockets, etc. Had to drill drain holes in the dash bezel and temp gauges to drain water. Warm air from a heat gun made the insides dry again, and a small dab of silicone sealed the holes

Drained oil from engine, auto trans, differential. Refilled with fresh oil.

Started car - ran a short distance - flushed all fluids.

This was on a 1969 Ford Galaxy 500. A newer car will have electronics, most of which are sealed in an epoxy resin for vibration resistance so are waterproof anyway, but the same applies.

This is all based on having no electrical circuits live at any time before salvage.

In newer cars with SatNav, etc. I do not think the screens are waterproof, so will need to be replaced. Same goes for the electronic dashboards, clocks, etc.

Took a while, but car ran without any problems, and is still on the road.

Edited by seedy

Was in a flood in Canada in 1979.

In 1979 cars were real cars, I bet it even had a proper carburettor, not like the tin-and-plastic rolling super-computers we have today which are much more easily destroyed by immersion.

Is that back when there was no camber on the road because the earth was flat?

The MThai website has some pics of the flood damaged Honda's (now dried out), here:

http://news.mthai.co...ews/142804.html

I've got a solution for at least 1 maybe 2 of them.. Have any connections with whom I could talk to??

It wuld be a waste if they were destroyed as plenty of parts would still be useable. I imagine all glass and wheels would be ok. Could honda sell them to breaker yards?

The MThai website has some pics of the flood damaged Honda's (now dried out), here:

http://news.mthai.co...ews/142804.html

I've got a solution for at least 1 maybe 2 of them.. Have any connections with whom I could talk to??

It wuld be a waste if they were destroyed as plenty of parts would still be useable. I imagine all glass and wheels would be ok. Could honda sell them to breaker yards?

Well for my purposes it's a big bonus to Honda as well as a PR tool.. It's certain they could be used for that to some extent but really Honda does not have much say as the insurance company owns them once they pay the policy and having said that they could end up being somewhat reconditioned and sold in somewhere like Sri Lanka :P ..

Edited by WarpSpeed