Majority Of Poll Believe Politicians Involved In Alleged Corruption In Flood Relief Package Procurement

Lite Beer

Majority of poll believe politicians involved in alleged corruption in flood relief package procurement

image_20111126153001DEFED264-C069-B272-FBD7AD0184C52D10.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 27 - About 80 per cent of poll respondents believed politicians were involved in alleged corruption for flood relief package procurement, according to Assumption University's ABAC poll.

The survey was conducted among 2,303 people in 17 provinces nationwide from Nov 24-26.

The poll showed about 66 per cent of those surveyed said they were interested in the censure debate against Justice Minister and the director of Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) Pracha Promnok on Sunday over alleged corruption on flood relief package procurement.

Regarding confidence in related agencies and personnel verifying flood relief bags, 66.3 per cent of respondents said they believed in the Office of the Ombudsman Thailand, followed by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and the civic sector at 61.7 per cent.

The poll indicated that about 97 per cent of those surveyed wanted spending budget details for flood victims in each area to be publicly disclosed.

When asked what could be obstacles to stop people from reporting instances of corruption, about three-quarters, or 76 per cent, said they feared for the safety of their lives and families. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-11-27

Only in Thailand could you have:

... poll showed about 66 per cent of those surveyed said they were interested in the censure debate against Justice Minister and the director of Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) Pracha Promnok on Sunday over alleged corruption on flood relief package procurement...

.tnalogo.jpg

The justice minister being censured for corruption only 4 months or less after taking office.

And for allegedly taking advantage of people left destitute

by a massive natural disaster grossly exacerbated by his

own coalition partners allegedly for profits of the puyais.

Only in Thailand could you have:

... poll showed about 66 per cent of those surveyed said they were interested in the censure debate against Justice Minister and the director of Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) Pracha Promnok on Sunday over alleged corruption on flood relief package procurement...

.tnalogo.jpg

The justice minister being censured for corruption only 4 months or less after taking office.

And for allegedly taking advantage of people left destitute

by a massive natural disaster grossly exacerbated by his

own coalition partners allegedly for profits of the puyais.

DUH!!!! That's always a given. TIT :rolleyes:

Why does anybody find this unusual? After all we are in asia! Can anybody point to one asian country where this doesn't happen? It appears to be a cultural thingy, if someone is down, kick him! If someone gets rich (by any means, fair or foul) worship him!

I think it comes from eating too much rice or wearing your sarong too tight or something?

Very strange!

RT@tulsathit: Jurin: Relief supply corruption means Bt2.5 billion has been wasted.

Stealing from the poor that put them into office.

Well they got 500 Baht for it....Giving for the poor, taking from the poor, at the next election they get something again.

If we would have every 6 month elections it would be somehow balanced

The most telling part of that article for me is.......

When asked what could be obstacles to stop people from reporting instances of corruption, about three-quarters, or 76 per cent, said they feared for the safety of their lives and families. (MCOT online news)

Why does anybody find this unusual? After all we are in asia! Can anybody point to one asian country where this doesn't happen? It appears to be a cultural thingy, if someone is down, kick him! If someone gets rich (by any means, fair or foul) worship him!

I think it comes from eating too much rice or wearing your sarong too tight or something?

Very strange!

I don’t think there is a surprise, at least not by us frang.The reason we bring this up is may be some of the people who put this corrupt Government in place read our comments and geta bit more wise up for the next time

They all deserve what's coming to them and the sooner the better. But, alas there is not one person in Thailand that is not tainted by corruption in some shape and form. Insidious to the core.

Nothing worse in the world in my opinion than what one poster mentioned before and that is taking from the poor and profiting in all manner from this disaster.

Those who partake in this evil should be hung drawn and quarted.. Stuff the courts!

Let the people's court rule.

Edited by Squigy

... a fact often overlooked by those that complain about the apparent acceptance of corruption amongst the Thai populace. :jap:

The poll shows that Thais want the same thing from their govt as people everywhere, open information and transparency.

The poll indicated that about 97 per cent of those surveyed wanted spending budget details for flood victims in each area to be publicly disclosed.

Why does anybody find this unusual? After all we are in asia! Can anybody point to one asian country where this doesn't happen?

Singapore

Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea all have relatively low corruption rates comparable with western europe. The worst are all in Southeast Asia.

Very likely they remember the punishment for reporting instances of corruption:

Shin Murder Investigation

... a fact often overlooked by those that complain about the apparent acceptance of corruption amongst the Thai populace. :jap:

Sad but true.

RT@tulsathit: Jurin: Relief supply corruption means Bt2.5 billion has been wasted.

Stealing from the poor that put them into office.

Well they got 500 Baht for it....Giving for the poor, taking from the poor, at the next election they get something again.

If we would have every 6 month elections it would be somehow balanced

Coincidentally, in 6 months time, all the banned Thai Rak Thai re-enter politics.

Banned Thai Rak Thai MP Suwat was commenting just today about the "political change" that will occur in Thailand then.

rah rah rah... let the real corruption experts, described by Suwat as "highly experienced and capable", back into the driver's seat.

Edited by Buchholz

In a nut shell, Sadly. ;)

Pracha is an equal opportunity advocate I see.

Misuses both public AND private funds.

Pracha's work was grossly inadequate, said opposition Democrat Party lawmaker Jurin Laksanavisit, who claimed that both the state's flood aid budget and private donations had been embezzled by ruling party officials.

AFP - Nov. 27, 2011

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Asia/Story/A1Story20111127-312973.html

All of the labourers in our company voted for Thaksin, and the admin/management did not. Almost all of the labourers suffered losses in the floods, while our admin team were relatively unscathed. Still, I suppose they will get their 5,000 baht.

All of the labourers in our company voted for Thaksin, and the admin/management did not. Almost all of the labourers suffered losses in the floods, while our admin team were relatively unscathed. Still, I suppose they will get their 5,000 baht.

But only if they meet the myriad of restrictive requirements and trudge through the multiple hurdles of bureaucracy to actual collection.

But only if they meet the myriad of restrictive requirements and trudge through the multiple hurdles of bureaucracy to actual collection.

Yes, I am watching as one of them applied this week. 2 months, she says.

Hopefully, they don't have to use loan shark money in the interim.

Would appreciate very much your follow-up on this as she goes through the rather lengthy process.

:wai:

Now let's be fair here. If a political party in your country promised they would increase you salary by fifty per cent overnight wouldn't you vote for them? Of course if they later reneged on that promise you might think differently about them afterwards.

Why does anybody find this unusual? After all we are in asia! Can anybody point to one asian country where this doesn't happen?

Singapore

Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea all have relatively low corruption rates comparable with western europe. The worst are all in Southeast Asia.

Oh.....my....god....... After looking at the list of corruption free Asian countries, I just came to the mind blowing conclusion those countries are all economic power houses !! It is remotely possible that there is a link between corruption and the economic well being of a country ?????

I hate to make fun of suffering people, but there certainly a delicious irony in the red shirt villagers in water up to their necks, being ripped off by the very people they put into office. Pretty sure now that the 500 baht they received to vote red is long gone...... Som nam na is a favorite Thai expression, and think it is called for in this case. Maybe in the next election they will ignore the village puyai ban, and vote for real leadership. :jap:

Edited by EyesWideOpen