Majority Of Poll Believe Politicians Involved In Alleged Corruption In Flood Relief Package Procurement

Lite Beer

The most telling part of that article for me is.......

When asked what could be obstacles to stop people from reporting instances of corruption, about three-quarters, or 76 per cent, said they feared for the safety of their lives and families. (MCOT online news)

In a nut shell, Sadly. ;)

This is one thing that really gripes me.

All these surveys show that most of the population think that corruption is Ok, and rampant corruption is acceptable as long as it benefits the country.

But deep down at the worst levels it's only Ok because they are too afraid to speak up against it.

It's a win win situation for those with real power, and a lose lose situation for those ordinary folks who are actually too scared to say what they really think.

They are sheep, but the shepherd has a dog, and a gun.

NO-CONFIDENCE DEBATE

DSI monitors censure

The Nation

30170732-01_big.jpg

The investigation into suspected irregularities in the distribution of flood-relief supplies will factor in evidence presented via the House censure debate, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI)'s director-general said yesterday.

"The censure debate might uncover fresh evidence with a direct bearing on the investigation," Tharit Pengdith said.

Tharit said the investigation, led by his deputy Naras Savetanan, found evidence of possible foul play involving officials of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Examples of possible irregularities included dereliction of duty by taking delivery of substandard relief supplies and a flawed procurement process, he said.

Yesterday's censure targeted Justice Minister Pracha Promnok in his capacity as the director of the Flood Relief Operations Centre.

Some eight in 10 people suspected politicians were involved in foul play related to the relief supplies, according to recent polling.

More than nine in 10 people wanted the government to fully disclose spending on flood-relief operations.

More than six in 10 voiced confidence that anti-graft agencies, including the Auditor General's Office, the DSI and the Anti Money Laundering Office, could unmask the culprits behind the mishandled flood relief.

Almost eight in 10 people did not believe the censure debate would trigger a change of government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-28

I've read about ABAC Polls very frequently in the Thai English press. Is anyone actually able to get to any of the ABAC Poll web sites or links within their web site. For example, "the director's background and survey methodology", "about the ABAC Research Center", "Hot Polls"..etc? This is merely a curiosity question as it's been impossible to get a live server link on their home page for over two years when I first started thinking about this. It would actually be interesting to see if it's a serious research center or like most other Thai organizations where the information is suspect and manipulated. As The Nation bases so many of its lead stories on these "ABAC Polls", it would be reassuring to know that they were actually legitimate, serious, and scientific. I was able to get to some information on the director through another link, and see that he is the holder of an "honorary degree" as are numerous Thai government, military, and private sector "luminaries." The question I am posing is: are these ABAC Polls legitimate or are they just feeder threads for a politically motivated story designed to engender more conflict?

The opposition accused him of running FROC based purely on nepotism, in violation of the charter, resulting in poor anti-flood measures and scandal-plagued handling of donated and purchased relief supplies.

The Opposition also replayed video clips that earlier damaged the government's reputation, showing flood-relief supplies donated by the public abandoned at Don Mueang Airport. Another clip, which has circulated heavily on the Internet, was replayed in Parliament showing a group of people revealing that flood-relief supplies from FROC had been loaded onto a truck bearing a placard featuring an image of Thaksin.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Bad-blood-floods-parliament-30170734.html

Edited by Buchholz

Oh.....my....god....... After looking at the list of corruption free Asian countries, I just came to the mind blowing conclusion those countries are all economic power houses !! It is remotely possible that there is a link between corruption and the economic well being of a country ?????

I hate to make fun of suffering people, but there certainly a delicious irony in the red shirt villagers in water up to their necks, being ripped off by the very people they put into office. Pretty sure now that the 500 baht they received to vote red is long gone...... Som nam na is a favorite Thai expression, and think it is called for in this case. Maybe in the next election they will ignore the village puyai ban, and vote for real leadership. :jap:

Please stop with that "only-red -poor-people-were-flooded" cliche

The cheapest house in our moo baan is -actually was- valued at more than ten millions, we are all voting for Dems -even with a pro-PAD tendency- ; and we are all underwater for the last two months.

Our area between Bang Buathong and Bang Yai has always been neglected by the reds because its a blue bastion mostly inhabited by well-off southern Thailand folks.

During Thaksin times, they even stopped the work on the purple line because not enough red voters were planning to use it!

Oh.....my....god....... After looking at the list of corruption free Asian countries, I just came to the mind blowing conclusion those countries are all economic power houses !! It is remotely possible that there is a link between corruption and the economic well being of a country ?????

I hate to make fun of suffering people, but there certainly a delicious irony in the red shirt villagers in water up to their necks, being ripped off by the very people they put into office. Pretty sure now that the 500 baht they received to vote red is long gone...... Som nam na is a favorite Thai expression, and think it is called for in this case. Maybe in the next election they will ignore the village puyai ban, and vote for real leadership. :jap:

Please stop with that "only-red -poor-people-were-flooded" cliche

The cheapest house in our moo baan is -actually was- valued at more than ten millions, we are all voting for Dems -even with a pro-PAD tendency- ; and we are all underwater for the last two months.

Our area between Bang Buathong and Bang Yai has always been neglected by the reds because its a blue bastion mostly inhabited by well-off southern Thailand folks.

During Thaksin times, they even stopped the work on the purple line because not enough red voters were planning to use it!

I certainly realize the flood was color blind, affecting everyone. I try to avoid clinches. my point was in responding to the corruption involved in the relief packages. Watching the Thai news, it appeared these relief packages were being handed out to poor looking Thai people in front of their ruined homes. I do not recall any packages being handed out to people in front of 10 million baht mansions. But rich people need to eat too, so if your moo baan is being ignored because of its non red leaning, than that is another bizarre facet of this red leaning government...... Hey wait a minute. Put up one of these signs in your moo baan, and you will get all the aid you need !!!! :jap:

P1030265.JPG