Forum upgrade in progress! ×

River Kwai Bridge Festival

SamSipEt

I plan on being in town for a few days to see the festival as well as visiting the museums, cemeteries, Hellfire pass etc but I was wondering if there are any recommendations for any other events that may be happening at the same time or any other excursions that are a bit of the beaten track?

Quite a nice trip is taking a long tailed boat from the bridge down stream to see the Buddha in the cave. Passes a few pleasant (Cooler) hour's you can get one that all can pile in or for a few extra BT can hire one on your own as we did and not only did we see the cave bit but stopped off to visit one of the cemeteries + several other site's, mid morning is a good time to go Then there always the train trip. Bit old hat but if you have never done it well worth a go. Tip. A good way to travel is sit in the open door way (Left hand side is best) give's you a good view of the river ect.

If you look at a road map there's on the 323 the Sai Yok Noi Fall's part of the old train line, you go passed it (It's on the right) on the way to Hell fire pass.

If you have time and the right shoe's (not flip flop's) the walk into the town along H F Pass take's a good two hour's if I remember right, is a great walk they will pick you up if you book it at the desk.

I did the festival last year watched it from one of the floating restaurant's north side of the bridge (Book a seat near the water if you can but you can see all if you cant get one) food ok a bit over the top price wise but worth it for the great view of the festivities. There's always the many waterfall's temple's that abound, their site's to be found on any car map. But I have found that one waterfall/temple is enough. Enjoy.

Quite a nice trip is taking a long tailed boat from the bridge down stream to see the Buddha in the cave. Passes a few pleasant (Cooler) hour's you can get one that all can pile in or for a few extra BT can hire one on your own as we did and not only did we see the cave bit but stopped off to visit one of the cemeteries + several other site's, mid morning is a good time to go Then there always the train trip. Bit old hat but if you have never done it well worth a go. Tip. A good way to travel is sit in the open door way (Left hand side is best) give's you a good view of the river ect.

If you look at a road map there's on the 323 the Sai Yok Noi Fall's part of the old train line, you go passed it (It's on the right) on the way to Hell fire pass.

If you have time and the right shoe's (not flip flop's) the walk into the town along H F Pass take's a good two hour's if I remember right, is a great walk they will pick you up if you book it at the desk.

I did the festival last year watched it from one of the floating restaurant's north side of the bridge (Book a seat near the water if you can but you can see all if you cant get one) food ok a bit over the top price wise but worth it for the great view of the festivities. There's always the many waterfall's temple's that abound, their site's to be found on any car map. But I have found that one waterfall/temple is enough. Enjoy.

Thank you - I'll do it all :jap:

Thank you - I'll do it all :jap:

You must be mad how many day's are you going for??? Tip's if you do the Buddha in the cave they also have a bit where you can climb to the top to see yet another temple I would give that bit a miss if I were you as it's a long climb and by the end of it you will be knackered.

Do the walk at H.F.Pass first before you do the SYN water fall as you can take a paddle or even a swim to cool off work wonder's for the old feet.

If you have time to do the train ride go the full hog and do the hole trip cant remember how long it take's but the last few km is the best bit. I think the train leaves about 10.30am but they change the departure time's every day, don't bother to get a ticket at the station as they sell them on the train. There might look like lot's of peep's to start with on the train but don't worry as most only do a few stop's and get off. The train stop's just short of the SYN water fall you can get a tuk tuk/taxi there DON'T they will charge you a few bt to go but if you want to come back the price will go up to well over 150bt each, and it's less than 1 km. Just sit have an Ice cream drink and a bit of food if you want the train leave's about 1 hour or so later for the return. You can walk round the town bit small but there's a few bit's to look at.

They sell drink's on the train and at some of the station's but take a bottle of cold water before you start. Don't forget your camera as there are lot's of great shot's of the river ect.

Have a great time wish I was there as well. Next year maybe.

N.B if you only want to do the trip one way, not a bad idea if you have a word with a local cab driver they will pick you up and bring you back only take's about 20 min: or so by road if they don't turn up you can always get the train back so nothing lost.

You must be mad how many day's are you going for??? Tip's if you do the Buddha in the cave they also have a bit where you can climb to the top to see yet another temple I would give that bit a miss if I were you as it's a long climb and by the end of it you will be knackered.

Do the walk at H.F.Pass first before you do the SYN water fall as you can take a paddle or even a swim to cool off work wonder's for the old feet.

If you have time to do the train ride go the full hog and do the hole trip cant remember how long it take's but the last few km is the best bit. I think the train leaves about 10.30am but they change the departure time's every day, don't bother to get a ticket at the station as they sell them on the train. There might look like lot's of peep's to start with on the train but don't worry as most only do a few stop's and get off. The train stop's just short of the SYN water fall you can get a tuk tuk/taxi there DON'T they will charge you a few bt to go but if you want to come back the price will go up to well over 150bt each, and it's less than 1 km. Just sit have an Ice cream drink and a bit of food if you want the train leave's about 1 hour or so later for the return. You can walk round the town bit small but there's a few bit's to look at.

They sell drink's on the train and at some of the station's but take a bottle of cold water before you start. Don't forget your camera as there are lot's of great shot's of the river ect.

Have a great time wish I was there as well. Next year maybe.

N.B if you only want to do the trip one way, not a bad idea if you have a word with a local cab driver they will pick you up and bring you back only take's about 20 min: or so by road if they don't turn up you can always get the train back so nothing lost.

I'm there for a week so plenty of time to take it all in.

Thanks for the little tips and I have no problems walking a few miles up and down hills etc even in the heat and humidity :)

Hi,what dates do the festival run from as I wouldn't mind taking a drive up there myself, would have to be on a weekend for me though as the kids are still in school

Thanks

A quick google of "river kwai festival", click on the top result and stright in front of you it says

River Kwai Bridge Festival

» 25th November - 6th December 2011 «

;)