Can My 4Yo Thai/English Child Own Land House

Would it be possible for me to buy my 4 year old Thai /English child a house and land? If it is possible, would I be able to manage the child's estate until they reach the age of consent?

Would I also be able to lease the house back from the child?

One correction - No need for Juvenile court approval to put the land on the child, there is approval to in any way take it away again though

My daughter was 2 years old when she got her name moved into the chanote as owner of land, she couldn't sign of course so there's a lovely thumb print on the chanote, no juvenile court involved. There can be no loans of course (cannot give debt to child and child cannot have debt)

I checked at the land office and I could not register a 30 year lease without court approval though - court will never approve that. Best you can get is 3 year lease

Make sure that you have shared custody before go-ahead

Edited by MikeyIdea

Per above, a child can own land but the land is under protection of the court.

What you might be able to do is give your child land with a usefruct already established on it when you give the land. That way no court approval is necesarry. But check with a good lawyer if such construction is indeed possible.

Per above, a child can own land but the land is under protection of the court.

What you might be able to do is give your child land with a usefruct already established on it when you give the land. That way no court approval is necesarry. But check with a good lawyer if such construction is indeed possible.

A person exercising parental power cannot transfer land to a minor child subject to any condition or charge. You need permission of the Court.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I have it well sorted or as well as it can be in this amazing land. I also found a bit, a child can own land however a court would look for the child's interests until it reaches 26 years of age. That would be fine for me I have time to think about this.

I also found a bit, a child can own land however a court would look for the child's interests until it reaches 26 years of age. That would be fine for me I have time to think about this.

The age of 'majority' in Thailand is yet another of those rubbery figures ... it's actually 20 years of age (Section 19 Commercial and Civil Code of Thailand)