American Bbq Restaurant On Soi Lengkee

Jingthing

A while back I noticed a sign for such a place saying opening soon. Haven't been that way lately and nobody has reported about it. Did it open yet? If so, how was it? If not, is it still going towards opening or is there a problem?

While we're talking Soi Lengkee, previously China Garden had announced they were going to do a lunch buffet during high season only. Well? Are they going to do that, or not?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Same owner China Garden, Jolly Fryer, Lone Star Texas Grill and sadly ex owner of LeKatai.

He posts on a couple of the Pattaya forums and aparantly both the BBQ place and the Chinese buffet are very close.

jolly friar is the unit beside lone star texas grill (which was juice ) china garden couple of doors down. last i heard the texas grill will be open in a matter of days

Same owner China Garden, Jolly Fryer, Lone Star Texas Grill and sadly ex owner of LeKatai.

He posts on a couple of the Pattaya forums and aparantly both the BBQ place and the Chinese buffet are very close.

jolly friar is the unit beside lone star texas grill (which was juice ) china garden couple of doors down. last i heard the texas grill will be open in a matter of days

dam_n, thats my parking place gone...........

No, just passed it this morning coincidentally, and everything appears to be on hold. The owner hasn't posted on any other forums that I'm aware of for a week or so, and the place looks the same as it did last time I posted here. The owner's last post on another board mentioned that they were concentrating on getting Jolly Friar 2 open in Jomtien (I think it's near Sunrise tacos) and that he'll post again when the bbq place opens.

No, just passed it this morning coincidentally, and everything appears to be on hold. The owner hasn't posted on any other forums that I'm aware of for a week or so, and the place looks the same as it did last time I posted here. The owner's last post on another board mentioned that they were concentrating on getting Jolly Friar 2 open in Jomtien (I think it's near Sunrise tacos) and that he'll post again when the bbq place opens.

Jolly Friar 2 in Jomtien? OMG, it's a conspiracy to derail my diet!

• Like 1

How can our resident restaraunt critic be on a diet????

I think you ought to get your priorities sorted out and stop just thinking of yourself :)

• Like 1

I hope this place can make decent chips, unlike those at JF1

I hope this place can make decent chips, unlike those at JF1

Why would they change the formula of a successful operation? Can't please everyone.

I think its a delibarate strategy by the owner to keep you in suspense! He did the same with the China Garden which also took ages to really open :blink:

I think I can live with BBQ for awhile.

BTW, any recent reports on how the food is going at China Garden? The last time I ate there, there was some kind of soap opera with the head chef going on. Latest gossip please! Or more importantly, is the food delicious now?

Edited by Jingthing

I think its a delibarate strategy by the owner to keep you in suspense! He did the same with the China Garden which also took ages to really open :blink:

BTW, any recent reports on how the food is going at China Garden? The last time I ate there, there was some kind of soap opera with the head chef going on. Latest gossip please! Or more importantly, is the food delicious now?

Never ate there ( yet?) but just followed the saga of delayed opening on forums. I think problems with the head chef also were part of all the ado.

I posted on the Chinese restaurant thread, the food is good UK style Chinese but the portions are tiny just under 500 baht for a meal that didn't even fill me and I don't have a large appetite.

I posted on the Chinese restaurant thread, the food is good UK style Chinese but the portions are tiny just under 500 baht for a meal that didn't even fill me and I don't have a large appetite.

The portions are much smaller. But they look bigger because they keep using smaller and smaller plates.

I can confirm it is open--I bought food there yesterday.

My review in summary--what I got was excellent quality and value.

I went in and ordered a rack of St. Louis ribs for 490 baht. I was going to get a half-rack (360 baht), but I am weak. I still have half a rack in my fridge after having two full meals on it yesterday. I was able to choose two sides orders with my ribs--I chose mac and cheese and potato salad. It came with a full corn on the cob, too, and for some strange reason a small bag of parmesan cheese.

My verdict on the ribs--very, very nice. Good sauce, the ribs were the closest thing I have had to real American bbq ribs from a commercial outlet in Thailand. Cooking it yourself with a wood smoker might produce better results if you are an expert, but for Thailand very, very nice. If I were in the States, I'd rate them perhaps 7 out of 10, but for Thailand, very acceptable.

A lot of food! As I walked out with my bag, I was happy as a clam because it weighed a lot. Sure enough, there was a full rack of quite large ribs--it had to be a kilo and a half or two before cooking (just a guess).

The sides were surprisingly good, especially the mac and cheese.

I will be a regular customer--excellent quality and value. I'd estimate 4 substantial, good quality meals for my five hundred baht.

Oh, I forgot--one small criticism, they supplied the barbecue sauce in a cup (acceptable) but didn't give enough for the amount of meat. The cup was half full, and should have, at least, been brimming.

Edited by Jimmyd

• 1 month later...

Yesterday my friend and I had chicken burritos. They were huge, 12" long, with plenty of meat. Great taste too, for 190 baht each. My friend could not finish his. They also gave us one saucer of chips, should have been a plate for 2 of us. I will eat there again.

I tried their pulled pork sandwich on a bun served with BBQ sauce and two sides. Cole slaw and mac 'n cheese worked for that. Good food, could be served in the US and people would accept it though wouldn't win any people's choice awards. Another great addition to the local food scene.

Tried to get some take away myself as I just live around the corner. Was told "Take outs only via Door to Door delivery service"!

Somebody on this thread mentioned he picked up food there so I am just puzzled if I just encountered a lazy staff member perhaps? Still, this brush off pissed me off and I havn't been back again!