Mailing Boxes To Thailand From Us

Billpro785

Some people have had good luck sending valuable items to Thailand, others not so good. If you mail the laptop, send it registered mail and insure it. Keep in mind the more remote the address you send it to the greater the chance it won't get there. In other words, if you're sending the laptop to an address at Chulalongkorn University or to the office of a large multinational company it stands a much better chance of arriving than it does if you send it to a house in rural Yasothon.

I would also agree with Mac that it might be better to just hand carry the item if you're coming here anyway or buy a new one once you get here. They're a lot cheaper now than they used to be.

The major issue will be Thai customs. If it is a laptop they will assess whatever value they feel it is, which could be dangerous. I agree with everyone else that you should "hand carry" the laptop in if possible. Customs is notorious for charging whatever they feel like charging for import tax/duty.

Secondly, I would recommend using the United States Post Office over UPS or Fedex or any private company. Since it is a government agency, Thai customs tends to have more "respect" to things shipped over by the USPO.

Thirdly, be careful on the insurance valuation form. I shipped over motorcycle parts and got hit for the customs duties based upon the insured value.

The major issue will be Thai customs. If it is a laptop they will assess whatever value they feel it is, which could be dangerous. I agree with everyone else that you should "hand carry" the laptop in if possible. Customs is notorious for charging whatever they feel like charging for import tax/duty.

Secondly, I would recommend using the United States Post Office over UPS or Fedex or any private company. Since it is a government agency, Thai customs tends to have more "respect" to things shipped over by the USPO.

Thirdly, be careful on the insurance valuation form. I shipped over motorcycle parts and got hit for the customs duties based upon the insured value.

I'm sorry sub, but it called USPS ( United States Postal Service ) I have sent many things ( I pad-I phone, etc. ) and alot of clothes mixed in. I write that I'm sending clothes of $30.00 value.

I ask for the cheapest rate and no insurance. The boxes always get there unopened and no fees.

Is it a good idea to buy insurance? I have a similar situation however I am having a new iPhone sent to me. I'm having my friend open the box so that it arguably not-new just in case.

Also checked online and USPS is much cheaper than FedEx or UPS.