Korat Immigrating

• 2 weeks later...
HI, Just wondering ( keep the subject going ) if any one had recently been to the new Korat Immigration Office , and had any luck etc/ comments...

Thanks ....Mumbo

I attended the Korat Immigration office today for the purpose of notifying stay of longer than 90 days (TM 47 / 90 day report) I must say I was very impressed with the service. On arrival, I was directed to the first floor of the building by 4 smiling Immigration officers, who were taking some new computers up to the main office. Once inside the office I was shown to a desk and asked to "please be seated" Another chair was then put in place for Mrs Daddy. An Immigration officer then arrived and asked in near perfect English "how can I help you today" I passed him an already filled in TM47 and told him I was here for my 90 day reporting. He checked my passport / photocopied the picture, info page / filled in the receipt section of the TM47 / attached the new reporting date slip / gave me a blank form for the next visit. All this was done with a big :D and speaking in English all the time. He asked how far was it from Buriram to Korat and where did I report before. I then asked him the 64K baht question "am I able to do my yearly extension here next June"? Still smiling he said "at this stage, no. we are not yet fully functional and we are waiting for legislation" No suprises there I thought. He then pulled out a file which he showed me. It was letters from farangs that had used the Korat Immigration office for reporting and requested that extensions be carried out there. He explained that he was collecting these letter to show his boss in Bangkok that there is a need for this service, and the sooner the better. I, of course added my own letter to the pile :D When I left he shook hands and thanked me :o My conclusions (read my wishful thinking) with the amount of staff (min. 15 that I saw) and the amount of new computer gear going into the building, it is only a matter of time before extensions are able to be done there. Actually 2 desks had "Extensions" pasted on the front of them :D

Where Assumption catholic collage. First building on the left after entry. First floor. Parking available in front of building. From the Bus Station 100 mtrs towards Big C on the same side of road as the Bus Station. Coming from Big C, about 350 mtrs on the opposite side of the road.

Telephone 044 247922 & 3

Downloaded and already filled in TM 47's accepted. Take a copy of your photograph & info page of passport. :D

Thanks Call_me_daddy57 for the report.

What sort of wording did you put in the letter requesting that extension service be offered in Korat?

Basically I just copied the previous one, but changed it around a bit and added some extra stuff. Mine went like this.

Immigration Officer Korat

Re: Non o Visa Extension

My name is "CallmeDaddy" and I live in Buriram. I have reported today at the Korat Immigration office for the purpose of notifying stay of longer than 90 days (TM 47 / 90 day report) I have previously applied for an extension to my non-o visa in Bangkok. Having an extension for visa facility at the Korat Immigration would enable the many people that live in this area, to re-new their visas without the problems of travelling all the way to Bangkok. (twice) As indicated by the very helpfull staff here, there are more and more people (foreigners) moving to this area to settle. I am sure an extension service in Korat would be well patronized.(or words to that effect) :D

The Immigration officer I delt with really wants to supply this service he just needs to convince those above him that it is needed in this area. (Which it is) And he is trying to do this by collating these letters and putting our case forward to the hierarchy. I wish him luck :o And if in another 10 years I am still doing the Bangkok shuffle for extensions, I will know who really lost out :D

HI, Just wondering ( keep the subject going ) if any one had recently been to the new Korat Immigration Office , and had any luck etc/ comments...

Thanks ....Mumbo

George/Dr Pat/Huski.....any chances of moving this Topic to the Isaan Forum. I am sure it would get a lot more Airplay there, and is relevant to that area :o

• 9 months later...

Thanks ....Mumbo

I attended the Korat Immigration office today for the purpose of notifying stay of longer than 90 days (TM 47 / 90 day report) I must say I was very impressed with the service. On arrival, I was directed to the first floor of the building by 4 smiling Immigration officers, who were taking some . . . . .

Thank you Daddy for the very fine description of the new Korat Immigration; next monday i will go there for 90 day report. Take care!

wern :o

:D

hi Daddy

ive seen that immigration office near the new bus station, quite a large building easy to find and certainly walking distance from the bus station (no need for a 60 baht rip off tuk tuk ride.

not wishing to hijack this thread in any way, but does anyone know of any good expat waterholes in khorat. I am considering moving there for my childs education :o