Jim Box

Nignoy

Apologies one and all, due to ill health unable to make the trip to Leong nok tha this year. so any of you ex 59 0r 54 expats hiding in the Muk, Amnat, ubon area, take a trip to the old airfield today and see if the wreath has been laid has promised!! Maybe Col. Klink and the fabulous 3 will turn up :lol: , anyone wondering <deleted> I,m talking about ,At 2130hours on the evening of the 29th november 1965 ,sapper jim box royal engineers was shot to death in the village of ban kudko kahn , amphur leong nok tha , I was with him at the time, I,m just keeping a promise I made all those years ago, lest we forget :jap: post-11182-0-27675200-1322513566_thumb.j

Hi NigNoy,

I hope the wreath is laid as promised. RIP Jim.

Is there any chance you could write some more about the incident in question or perhaps your time in Thailand during the war? Fully understand if you do not wish to.

The reason for my interest is that over the past year or so I have had a few vets make contact with me and my blog remembering their time spent in Ubon during the war. Some of them them supplied photos and video as well. Just a few days ago I uploaded quite a few photos of time spent at the Ubon airforce base with a commentary given by one ex soldier. http://memock.wordpr...he-vietnam-war/ This is the third time I have done this and I find the stories, information and photos all fascinating.

Which old airfield are you referring to?

Hi Memock, I think the old airfield is in the overgrown bush on the left side of the back road from L N T to Yasothon not far from the traffic lights,say 1 kl. I know about 10yrs ago the yanks came to inspect what was left incase they could possible need to use it again. This i was told by an English guy who's house backed onto it. The house is still there and a very good one but i havn't seen him since then, heard he was another ripped off victim. B)

Hi NigNoy,

I hope the wreath is laid as promised. RIP Jim.

Is there any chance you could write some more about the incident in question or perhaps your time in Thailand during the war? Fully understand if you do not wish to.

The reason for my interest is that over the past year or so I have had a few vets make contact with me and my blog remembering their time spent in Ubon during the war. Some of them them supplied photos and video as well. Just a few days ago I uploaded quite a few photos of time spent at the Ubon airforce base with a commentary given by one ex soldier. http://memock.wordpr...he-vietnam-war/ This is the third time I have done this and I find the stories, information and photos all fascinating.

Which old airfield are you referring to?

Hi Memock, I think the old airfield is in the overgrown bush on the left side of the back road from L N T to Yasothon not far from the traffic lights,say 1 kl. I know about 10yrs ago the yanks came to inspect what was left incase they could possible need to use it again. This i was told by an English guy who's house backed onto it. The house is still there and a very good one but i havn't seen him since then, heard he was another ripped off victim. B)

The farang house near the airfield belongs to a german from koblenz, he spends very little time in the village, we use the house when we are in LOS, the airfield was never used by the US except for occasional air america flights in the late 70,s as far as I knowpost-11182-0-04730600-1322551398_thumb.jmemories of the village 1964

Hi Nignoy,

Re: 29th November 1965

I remember that night well. I was in the village with my girlfriend listening to “The Voice of America” on her small transistor radio. The announcer was boasting about the latest advances on the Plain of Jars by the Lao Loyalist Troops and detailing the amount of ground won from the Pathet Lao. It seemed to me that the loyalist forces had been advancing for ever. It was only later that I learned that General Vang Poa and his Hmong irregular forces were in full combat with most of the North Vietnam Army: but I digress.

It was a quiet night but about 9.00 maybe 9.30 p.m. I heard three shots: there may have been more but I only heard three. The reaction from “Papa-san”, the owner of the house, was almost immediate. He quietly lifted the ladder that was used to descend to the ground, blew out the candles, put his finger to his lips to signal silence and sat in the shadows with his machete on his lap. We were all watching and wondering what the shooting was about. It seemed to me the whole village had gone quiet. The pigs had stopped grunting and the usual movement of people around the alleyways had ceased: there was no moon.

Because it was getting late and I had to be back at camp for the 2200 hrs curfew I asked Papa-san to lower the ladder but he said “No”. The girlfriend also said “No. You stay here. You stay safe.” and it took several minutes to persuade them that I had to return to camp. At one stage I threatened to jump from the balcony but it was pitch black and I didn’t fancy landing in the mess left by the shit buffalos. Eventually the ladder was lowered and I made my way back through the darkened village to the main road (where there were some lights as I remember) and then from the main road along the well worn track back to camp. But it was eerie, there was no-one around on the road when usually it was busy with a whole lot of squaddies making their way back in time for the 22.30 bed check. Where was everyone? What were those shots? Why didn’t I stay drinking in the NAAFI instead of seeing the G.F?

The road was very dark but I knew it well and soon got back to Nash Gate. There, instead of the single sentry on duty was the Guard Commander and two of the guards. I thought “Sod me! I’m in the s**t now.” As it happened I was late for the curfew but the Guard Commander, a full corporal, just ticked my name off on his list and told me to report to Jerry Farnsworth, my troop Staff Sergeant immediately. “That’s strange,” I thought “they usually arrest me first and I get to see my Staff Sergeant in the morning.” I went to my billet to dump my pack but was greeted by everyone saying; “Farnsworth’s looking for you”..... <deleted>.......!!!

After about five minutes I found Jerry and he then ticked me off on his list.

“What’s going on?” I said, “I thought I heard shots.”

He just looked at me and said “Go to bed” It was the way that he said it that made me obey but when I got back to my billet I found that Jim Box’s bed, the one opposite mine, had already been taken away.

Nowadays, I live in Ubon and I was last at the airfield in Leong Nok Tha a week ago (1/12/11). It was only a brief visit but I saw no signs of a wreath. It seems that the old airfield is, at last, starting to be used. The Thai army have laid tarmac on the access road from the main 212 and have constructed a building which they are using as an office cum stores. They have started building a fence around the runway and parking area and have repaired the subsidence that caused the large puddle during the rainy season. The airfield has been given a code: it is now UBP(VTUT) and from recent enquiries it is able to service light aircraft. A friend of mine (also ex 59 sqn) has plans to fly into UBP(VTUT) from Pattaya, maybe next year

Maybe we'll meet at the airfield one of these days.

great recollection grandad , you should take up writing, i was hooked from the first line thankyou for sharing !!

Hi Nignoy,

I remember that night well. I was in the village with my girlfriend listening to "The Voice of America" on her small transistor radio. The announcer was boasting about the latest advances on the Plain of Jars by the Lao Loyalist Troops and detailing the amount of ground won from the Pathet Lao. It seemed to me that the loyalist forces had been advancing for ever. It was only later that I learned that General Vang Poa and his Hmong irregular forces were in full combat with most of the North Vietnam Army: but I digress.

It was a quiet night but about 9.00 maybe 9.30 p.m. I heard three shots: there may have been more but I only heard three. The reaction from "Papa-san", the owner of the house, was almost immediate. He quietly lifted the ladder that was used to descend to the ground, blew out the candles, put his finger to his lips to signal silence and sat in the shadows with his machete on his lap. We were all watching and wondering what the shooting was about. It seemed to me the whole village had gone quiet. The pigs had stopped grunting and the usual movement of people around the alleyways had ceased: there was no moon.

Because it was getting late and I had to be back at camp for the 2200 hrs curfew I asked Papa-san to lower the ladder but he said "No". The girlfriend also said "No. You stay here. You stay safe." and it took several minutes to persuade them that I had to return to camp. At one stage I threatened to jump from the balcony but it was pitch black and I didn't fancy landing in the mess left by the shit buffalos. Eventually the ladder was lowered and I made my way back through the darkened village to the main road (where there were some lights as I remember) and then from the main road along the well worn track back to camp. But it was eerie, there was no-one around on the road when usually it was busy with a whole lot of squaddies making their way back in time for the 22.30 bed check. Where was everyone? What were those shots? Why didn't I stay drinking in the NAAFI instead of seeing the G.F?

The road was very dark but I knew it well and soon got back to Nash Gate. There, instead of the single sentry on duty was the Guard Commander and two of the guards. I thought "Sod me! I'm in the s**t now." As it happened I was late for the curfew but the Guard Commander, a full corporal, just ticked my name off on his list and told me to report to Jerry Farnsworth, my troop Staff Sergeant immediately. "That's strange," I thought "they usually arrest me first and I get to see my Staff Sergeant in the morning." I went to my billet to dump my pack but was greeted by everyone saying; "Farnsworth's looking for you"..... <deleted>.......!!!

"What's going on?" I said, "I thought I heard shots."

He just looked at me and said "Go to bed" It was the way that he said it that made me obey but when I got back to my billet I found that Jim Box's bed, the one opposite mine, had already been taken away.

Nowadays, I live in Ubon and I was last at the airfield in Leong Nok Tha a week ago (1/12/11). It was only a brief visit but I saw no signs of a wreath. It seems that the old airfield is, at last, starting to be used. The Thai army have laid tarmac on the access road from the main 212 and have constructed a building which they are using as an office cum stores. They have started building a fence around the runway and parking area and have repaired the subsidence that caused the large puddle during the rainy season. The airfield has been given a code: it is now UBP(VTUT) and from recent enquiries it is able to service light aircraft. A friend of mine (also ex 59 sqn) has plans to fly into UBP(VTUT) from Pattaya, maybe next year

The reason for my interest is that over the past year or so I have had a few vets make contact with me and my blog remembering their time spent in Ubon during the war. Some of them them supplied photos and video as well. Just a few days ago I uploaded quite a few photos of time spent at the Ubon airforce base with a commentary given by one ex soldier. http://memock.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/life-in-ubon-ratchathani-as-a-soldier-during-the-vietnam-war/ This is the third time I have done this and I find the stories, information and photos all fascinating.

Hi MeMock

My time in Thailand during what the Lao people refer to as the second Indo-China war left a deep impression on me. But there are many loose ends and many unanswered questions that pose a problem even today. If you are interested in this period of history then you should read The Ravens by Christopher Robins a book about the Secret War in Laos. I’ve also included some web sites that might interest you that bring the story up to date

A Small Footnote to History

General Vang Pao died in Exile in the USA in January this year (2011). “He led a 15-year CIA-sponsored secret war in Laos during the Vietnam War and, when it was lost, led tens of thousands of his people into exile.” See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific- 2133710

To this day the Hmong people are being persecuted by the Lao Authorities. See: http://hmongnews.net/hmong-peoples-persecution-in-laos/ (for old photos, watch the video to the end)

and even those Hmong who have sought refugee status in Thailand and Vietnam are being persecuted. See: http://www.euronews.net/2009/12/28/thai-army-begins-repatriation-of-hmong-people/ (Thailand)

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13382433 (Vietnam)

I’m sorry to say that we live in a very unjust world.

Hi Nignoy,

I remember that night well. I was in the village with my girlfriend listening to "The Voice of America" on her small transistor radio. The announcer was boasting about the latest advances on the Plain of Jars by the Lao Loyalist Troops and detailing the amount of ground won from the Pathet Lao. It seemed to me that the loyalist forces had been advancing for ever. It was only later that I learned that General Vang Poa and his Hmong irregular forces were in full combat with most of the North Vietnam Army: but I digress.

It was a quiet night but about 9.00 maybe 9.30 p.m. I heard three shots: there may have been more but I only heard three. The reaction from "Papa-san", the owner of the house, was almost immediate. He quietly lifted the ladder that was used to descend to the ground, blew out the candles, put his finger to his lips to signal silence and sat in the shadows with his machete on his lap. We were all watching and wondering what the shooting was about. It seemed to me the whole village had gone quiet. The pigs had stopped grunting and the usual movement of people around the alleyways had ceased: there was no moon.

Because it was getting late and I had to be back at camp for the 2200 hrs curfew I asked Papa-san to lower the ladder but he said "No". The girlfriend also said "No. You stay here. You stay safe." and it took several minutes to persuade them that I had to return to camp. At one stage I threatened to jump from the balcony but it was pitch black and I didn't fancy landing in the mess left by the shit buffalos. Eventually the ladder was lowered and I made my way back through the darkened village to the main road (where there were some lights as I remember) and then from the main road along the well worn track back to camp. But it was eerie, there was no-one around on the road when usually it was busy with a whole lot of squaddies making their way back in time for the 22.30 bed check. Where was everyone? What were those shots? Why didn't I stay drinking in the NAAFI instead of seeing the G.F?

The road was very dark but I knew it well and soon got back to Nash Gate. There, instead of the single sentry on duty was the Guard Commander and two of the guards. I thought "Sod me! I'm in the s**t now." As it happened I was late for the curfew but the Guard Commander, a full corporal, just ticked my name off on his list and told me to report to Jerry Farnsworth, my troop Staff Sergeant immediately. "That's strange," I thought "they usually arrest me first and I get to see my Staff Sergeant in the morning." I went to my billet to dump my pack but was greeted by everyone saying; "Farnsworth's looking for you"..... <deleted>.......!!!

"What's going on?" I said, "I thought I heard shots."

He just looked at me and said "Go to bed" It was the way that he said it that made me obey but when I got back to my billet I found that Jim Box's bed, the one opposite mine, had already been taken away.

Thank you recounting this sir.