Reasonably Priced Place To Stay In Vientiane

tommytouch

B800 get's you quite a bit in Laos.

The last place I stayed at was the Hay-Soke Guest house 2 on Chao Anou Road.

Good clean rooms, air-con, sat tv, en-suite bathroom (can't remember if it had WiFi tho') Slap bang in the Riverside 2 area so almost everything of interest is walkable. Last time I stayed it was B700 a night, they have cheaper rooms but you end up with shared bathroom facilities, so ask for the 'expensive one'

There are plenty of hotels in that area and all of them in my experience will happily show you what they have before you book-in, some of them are exceptionally good, but they are three to four times more expensive.

B800 get's you quite a bit in Laos.

The last place I stayed at was the Hay-Soke Guest house 2 on Chao Anou Road.

Good clean rooms, air-con, sat tv, en-suite bathroom (can't remember if it had WiFi tho') Slap bang in the Riverside 2 area so almost everything of interest is walkable. Last time I stayed it was B700 a night, they have cheaper rooms but you end up with shared bathroom facilities, so ask for the 'expensive one'

There are plenty of hotels in that area and all of them in my experience will happily show you what they have before you book-in, some of them are exceptionally good, but they are three to four times more expensive.

Had a look at the (basic) website and it seems fine for my needs, especially if it's in a good location. Wi-Fi isn't essential. If their cable TV has some True Sports channels I'll be happy!

Thanks for the recommendation

Thought I must answer you as quick as I can! HAKSANON HOUSE is a most comfortable place to stay. Costs about 700Baht per night. Cold A/c UBC TV, breakfast included. I am always very comfortable there.

Tel: 856-21 260423, 856-20 5324147 Tell the taxi 37 Khounboulom Rd; 5 Unit Ban Watchanh, Vientiane, Lao PDR P.O. Box 909.

The last time I was there, almost exactly a year ago, I stayed at the Benacam Guest House. It's right in the center of the city - and my room was so comfortable that I hardly wanted to leave it. I had a big screen TV with all the channels as well as wi-fi in my room. It had a real boutique feel to it - even though the price was only 170,000 kip per night, which works out to about 650 baht. I think I had one of the fancier rooms, so you might want to look at a few rooms before making a choice. Now that I think back, the room even had a small kitchenette with a fridge as well. The people running the place were very friendly as well. As a picture is worth a thousand words, I attach a photo of my room herewith.

The last time I was there, almost exactly a year ago, I stayed at the Benacam Guest House. It's right in the center of the city - and my room was so comfortable that I hardly wanted to leave it. I had a big screen TV with all the channels as well as wi-fi in my room. It had a real boutique feel to it - even though the price was only 170,000 kip per night, which works out to about 650 baht. I think I had one of the fancier rooms, so you might want to look at a few rooms before making a choice. Now that I think back, the room even had a small kitchenette with a fridge as well. The people running the place were very friendly as well. As a picture is worth a thousand words, I attach a photo of my room herewith.

Sorry, I was unable to attach the photo to my previous post. I eventually found out that it was due to the photo being too big. Then the system wouldn't let me edit my message to add the photo, so I will add it in a separate message here.

post-57496-0-49161200-1322712549_thumb.j

I stayed at the Inter City Boutique in July, they have Adequate Internet for light browsing,email etc. sometimes disappeared for a few hours at a time. I also found that my True Move GPRS could be reached from across the river there, but not much further inland.

Hank

Where "right in the center of the city"? I can't locate it on my map, or the Hobo Map for Vientiane

[http://hobomaps.com/]. Can you point out a landmark right close buy?

My last few trips to Vientiane I've been staying at the Asian Pavilion Hotel, aka the Constellation from pre-1975 days. It also has WiFi in the rooms, good restaurant downstairs, right around the corner from the That Dam and the US Embassy, baht 700 a night, on Samsenthai Road.

Mac

Something to consider.

Many hotels in Ventianne lock their doors at midnight or earlier. A couple of years ago I arrived back at 1am to find the hotel door chained and padlocked with no one on reception . I was trying to pick the lock when ordered to the ground by AK47 armed plain clothed security men. I thought I was being kidnapped by bandits!!

If going to be out late, make sure you will be able to get back in.

The prices you guys are quoting seem far off!

I stay at 1 of two places one near the newer Aus embassy and the other near the main river area (teh square with all the french tourist restaurants not far from the river and Siam bank.

both places for 400-500 thb air con cable tv fridge. (500 but 400 for me now because I always stay there and they will drop it for you if you haggle and they are empty).

The prices you guys are quoting seem far off!

I stay at 1 of two places one near the newer Aus embassy and the other near the main river area (teh square with all the french tourist restaurants not far from the river and Siam bank.

both places for 400-500 thb air con cable tv fridge. (500 but 400 for me now because I always stay there and they will drop it for you if you haggle and they are empty).

Do those places have names?

55 yes they do, however it is not in my interest to give those names out. I dont want them to have more customers, those two are my choice stays. that said there are numerous places availabel at that price '500' you just need to look around.

Another I know that is ok for 500thb is called Wonderland 2 (not to be confused with Wonderland 1 where I have never stayed). it is also very close to Siam bank and the small square with the french restaurants (sorry I dont know the names of the streets in VT). WL2 also has 500 baht rooms (they first ask for 600 or but will also drop to 400 if they are low on customers but always drop to 500) air con, cable tv, hot water, but no fridge. The only problem with the place is that many of the rooms have windows that are bricked up close by an adjoining building so try to get a room with a real window if they have one empty. (mind you the air con is good and keeps it well ventilated) the rooms are clean the beds are comfortable.

I have had no problem bringing a guest back late at night but have tipped the night man (50 0r 100 baht) for letting me and her in at 2 in the morning. He sleeps in the foyer and will come unchain the door if you are later than 12. They accept Lao Kip, Thai Baht and USD. They will also exchange money. i have stayed there more than 6 times. I have openly kept small money in my room, notebook, camera etc and the staff 'seem' trustworthy. (but you never ever know do you).

edit to previous post: newer Aus embassy should read 'newer Thai Consulate/embassy'.

Edited by walterego

Douang Deuane hotel down at the river 200 meters from sabai coffee is the only choice,

it was 600-800 baht.

Sabai coffee also has good cappuccino, and 20 meters from sabai coffee in the soi it was a nice resturant with a really nice steak.

That sums up the only thing worth knowing about that place.

Avoid the taxi mafia at all cost, they charge over 3 times as much as it cost in Pattaya,

rent a bicycle when you get to bus station, and take the small bus from border to bus station