Driving From Lampang To Chiang Mai

Sophon

Me and the GF are currently thinking of relocating north to either Chiang Mai or Lampang (where the GF's family lives). Regardless of where we decide to live it will mean regular trips between the two cities. Google Maps lists the distance between the two cities as approximately 100 km (mainly following highway 11), but also estimates the travel time to be 2 hours and 20 minutes. Is the roads/traffic really so bad that it takes over two hours to travel this distance?

Anyone have experience doing this trip? Thank you in advance for your insights.

Sophon

Google Thailand doesn't take traffic into account; traffic is mostly not an issue, though going through Lamphun will be a bit slower during rush hour.

Of course it does go over major mountains, but the road is *very* good. Normally in mountain areas you'd be happy to average 60 km/h, but for the Lampang road you can easily do 80 average on mountain stretches. And then of course the first but to Lamphun, and the last bit to Lampang is all flat, so overall you can expect about 60-90 minutes depending on your driving style. (60 mins would clearly be pushing it. ;)

I suggest you go live in Chiang Mai. Lampang drives me mad.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

2 hours is realistic. The many sets of traffic lights between Lamphun and CM bring your average speed well below 100km/hr. Don't forget to toot your horn and take your hands off the steering wheel to wai when going past the spirit houses near the Khun Tan gap.

I have made that trip over 500 times. One and a quarter hours Lampang - Naowarat Bridge. The old highway from Lampang to Hang Chat is 4 lanes and misses all the traffic lights in Lampang on Highway 1/11. Pick a time when the factories in Lamphun are not having shift change.

My mate D. Lek and I had 2 large Heinekens each at the Riverside in Lampang one night a few years ago then left for Maddogs in Chiang Mai at about 8.30pm. We timed ourselves, 47 minutes start to stop. I must say we were going for it, D. Lek on his Ducati and I on my ZZR1100.

Fun daze.

So you didn't open em out properly, then. Good band in the Riverside. ;)

Op, did you have Gmaps set on alternate route? It's about 90 mins at a steady pace, four lanes all the way. Maybe centre to centre with Sunday driving or near rush hour would be 2 half...

Edited by jackr

2 hours is realistic. The many sets of traffic lights between Lamphun and CM bring your average speed well below 100km/hr. Don't forget to toot your horn and take your hands off the steering wheel to wai when going past the spirit houses near the Khun Tan gap.

No it's not, outside rush hours 90 minutes isall you need

No it's not, outside rush hours 90 minutes isall you need

It also depends where you are going in Chiang Mai. The Sankamphaeng junction to CMU or Tha Pae Gate can add 20 - 30 minutes at certain times of the day.