International Driving License

dude007

I went to replace my international driving license to the Land Transport department (Sukhumvit in front of soi 62) with the documents needed: passport, stay permit, residence certificate from the Embassy, Thai driving license, 2 passportphotos, money.l

My former internationa driving license which expired on May 2012 was lost, but I wanted a new one for 1 year valid.

The Land Transport Department gave me an international driving license only valid until May 2012 (validity of the old lost one), despite my claim to have one of a full year validity. She even became rude and stopped giving me any explanation hiding her refusal to cooperate and be polite behind the language barrier... I was even requested to sign THAI ONLY documents, and when I asked what I was signing (for an INTERNATIONAL driving license - all in Thai) there came no clarification unless: "if you don't sign here we will not give you an international driving license..."

Anyone can tell me if this is validity date issue is correct or have I been duped again?

It may also have something to do with the validity of your Thai license, when does it expire?

;)

also no such thing as international driving license.

And who would have thought it....Living in thailand and having to sign offical documents in the Thai language...:blink:......complain to your MP immediately, how dare they..

I thought you could only get an international licence in your home country as its a temporary licence to drive and as she wanted to only renew it to its old expiry date I think she was correct.

You can get an international driving license based on any valid driving license (I think so). As I am now a HK resident, I had to apply for a local driving license based on my original driving license and I now get my international driving license based on my HK license, they never ask for my original driving license.

So can't the OP get his international driving license based on his Thai license only ?

Note : I got my HK license based only on my original European driving license. But Thai driving licenses are not accepted, you have to pass the exam again

Edited by JurgenG

I thought you could only get an international licence in your home country as its a temporary licence to drive and as she wanted to only renew it to its old expiry date I think she was correct.

You can get an international driving license based on any valid driving license (I think so). As I am now a HK resident, I had to apply for a local driving license based on my original driving license and I now get my international driving license based on my HK license, they never ask for my original driving license.

So can't the OP get his international driving license based on his Thai license only ?

Note : I got my HK license based only on my original European driving license. But Thai driving licenses are not accepted, you have to pass the exam again

You can only get an IDP in Thailand based on a 5 year Thai DL, you can't get an IDP issued in Thailand on any other countries DL

Further, it not a license, its bascially a "legalised" translation of a valid DL.