International Drivers Licence (Aka Idd)

djayz

If you want it based on your Thai DL, only DLT is authorised to issue. everything else in Th is a fake

In Thailand you can only obtain a LEGAL IDP on your Thai license.

ssentially, an International Driving Permit (IDP) is proof that you hold a valid driver's license in your own country. And it provides a translation into almost a dozen languages, mainly so that police and other authorities in other countries can read your license in their own language. It may not be absolutely necessary to have it, since many countries recognize each other's licenses, but traveling with an IDP has many advantages. The permit is intended to overcome the difficulties drivers might have while traveling in other countries that may have widely varying licensing requirements. The IDP is a special license for tourists authorized by United Nations conventions on road safety.

The IDP is printed in several languages-the five official UN languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Chinese) plus German, Arabic, Italian, the Scandinavian languages, and Portuguese. It is valid in all the signatory countries. In addition, many other countries that did not sign the treaty recognize the permit and accept it in their territories.

An IDP is easy to obtain if you know where to apply (DLT offices in Thailand), does not require a driving test, and is available for a small fee. It is, in fact, an official translation of your domestic driver's license.

It can only be issued in the country where your orignal license was issued.

I use an IDP and recently had it renewed. I just sent a copy of the IDP application form and a copy of my license to a family member. They were able to get a new IDP back home for me, even though I wasn't there, and then they just posted it over to me. So apparently it is not necessary to apply for the IDP in person in your home country.

^ @tristan8

You were very lucky that you could renew it that way, in my Home Country I couldn't do it that way and because our IDP is only valid for 1 year, it was easier and cheaper to make my license here. And passing the driving test here, isn't that difficult (only takes some waiting time)

Dont these ferangs have enough time, or ability to drive through some Poles and Coons ,do some silly tests , wait whilst they wrap the licence in plastic.. Done Deal.. Or do they prefer to denigrate Thailand's Test, because they feel superior. Jeez, its only an hour or so.. an IDP is a joke.unless your a Yank.biggrin.gif

But isn't the IDP only valid with a current driving licence from your home country? i.e for a farang living in Thaialnd, you can get a Thai driving licence and then an IDP, but don't the rules mean that would not be valid elsewhere? So for example if you were going to hire a car in the states or UK or Europe and you are a Britt, you would need an IDP accompanied by a UK licence, and not a Thai drivers licence. Have I got that right? I admit the term 'home country' seems open to misinterpretation, Is your home country the country where you live or where you hold nationality/passport etc?

I have two drivers licences (EU and a 5 year Thai licence). So if I understand you correctly, I could go with my Thai licence to the DLT and have an IDD or IDP issued based on the Thai licence. It's that easy?

I have two drivers licences (EU and a 5 year Thai licence). So if I understand you correctly, I could go with my Thai licence to the DLT and have an IDD or IDP issued based on the Thai licence. It's that easy?

Yes

double yes

but do yo realy need it? most countries are under the UN agreement to honor both UK and Thai DL as long as they have your photo, english text and picture of vehicle you are approved for, which is exactly what every new Th DL has

^ @tristan8

You were very lucky that you could renew it that way, in my Home Country I couldn't do it that way and because our IDP is only valid for 1 year, it was easier and cheaper to make my license here. And passing the driving test here, isn't that difficult (only takes some waiting time)

All IDP's are only valid for 12 months and in the case of the Thai IDP, these are only issued on your 5 year Thai DL, therefore it would be at least 12 months after passing your Thai drivers test before you could get

a IDP based on your Thai DL

But if you are a Brit can you use a Thai IDP to hire a car say in the USA or indeed the UK?

Thai IDP can be used in any country part of the UN agreement for up to 90 days for tourists. So question is, where do you reside and would you be a tourist in the UK? UK seem to be slack on this rule

I can not use it in my homecountry, as I am still a resident

as others have said the idp is ONLY a translated copy of ur driving license.

AS the Thai license is now in English , what is the point? You can not use the idp for driving anywhere UNLESS u hold a current driving license.

IN my eyes a total waste of money.

I hold a us license an a thai license and when ever i travel in the states i show my thai license to rent car and if i am stopped, ( only once )

Dont these ferangs have enough time, or ability to drive through some Poles and Coons ,do some silly tests , wait whilst they wrap the licence in plastic.. Done Deal.. Or do they prefer to denigrate Thailand's Test, because they feel superior. Jeez, its only an hour or so.. an IDP is a joke.unless your a Yank.biggrin.gif

Perhaps, like me they are on a visa that does not allow them to get a Thai drivers license. Should think about that before shooting your mouth off.

I also get a friend back home to drop off the form and my photo to the IDL office and then sends it over to me.

Perhaps, like me they are on a visa that does not allow them to get a Thai drivers license. Should think about that before shooting your mouth off.

I also get a friend back home to drop off the form and my photo to the IDL office and then sends it over to me.

Everyone here with a legal permit to stay in passport, including 14 days entrystamp, qualifies for Thai DL at most DLT.

Some DLT allows only one year DL if Visa is tourist or entrystamp

Everyone here with a legal permit to stay in passport, including 14 days entrystamp, qualifies for Thai DL at most DLT.

Nope, to qualify you need non-imm visa. Although i agree with you, many DLT's issue DL's without qualifications rolleyes.gif

Looks like Pattaya and Phuket are best places to try.

Bit off topic but does these DLT's issuing DL's without non-imm visa also allow you to register car/bike in your name without one?

Nope, to qualify you need non-imm visa. Although i agree with you, many DLT's issue DL's without qualifications rolleyes.gif

Looks like Pattaya and Phuket are best places to try.

Bit off topic but does these DLT's issuing DL's without non-imm visa also allow you to register car/bike in your name without one?

thete is no requirement for non Imm for DL or car/bike ownership in Thailand, but a few DLT make up their own special rule. Fix, go to another DLT

I have +30 cars/bikes reigstered to my name during past 9 years, several DLT, never Non Imm.

and as I am presently on a touristvisa, I just got another year DL last week, not 5 year as this requires Non Imm O, B or RE in Phuket.

and as I am presently on a touristvisa, I just got another year DL last week, not 5 year as this requires Non Imm O, B or RE in Phuket.

You will not be issued a IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL, its needs to be a 5 years Thai DL

agreed

so if I ever would consider getting an IDP, it would be based on my homecountries licence.

but next year I turn 50, and can go RE Visa :)

havent had a IDP since mid 80s when Italians, Greece and France didnt want to recognise English language, so I dont know here I had to drive to need one these days ;)

thete is no requirement for non Imm for DL or car/bike ownership in Thailand, but a few DLT make up their own special rule. Fix, go to another DLT

I have +30 cars/bikes reigstered to my name during past 9 years, several DLT, never Non Imm.

Couple of years ago it was listed as requirement in DLT web pages, confirmed by phone call to their head office as well as two DLT's in Bangkok. My experience goes only 10 years back and always non-imm visa required. Buying, selling or any DL. This in Bangkok.

Good old days you were not able to try different DLT's as you had to go to the one based on your address. Luckily that changed few years back when they were "computerized".

I might be proven wrong but it's more likely to me that non-imm visa indeed is required but most DLT's in provinces don't care.

Couple of years ago it was listed as requirement in DLT web pages, confirmed by phone call to their head office as well as two DLT's in Bangkok. My experience goes only 10 years back and always non-imm visa required. Buying, selling or any DL. This in Bangkok.

Good old days you were not able to try different DLT's as you had to go to the one based on your address. Luckily that changed few years back when they were "computerized".

I might be proven wrong but it's more likely to me that non-imm visa indeed is required but most DLT's in provinces don't care.

In 2006 I purchased and had registered 2 new cars in BKK. both financed in my name, registered, and I have never had a Non Imm. Later I transfered both cars to Phuket DLT, still no Non IMM needed. Later I sold both cars, still no Non Imm needed, and never asked for

Renewed my DL 2 weeks ago. Touristvisa or entrystamp, one year only.

Non Imm, one to five year by choice (and payment as fee is pr year valid)

as stated by lady starting the movie everyone have to watch

and I am not getting married to get Non Imm to get 5 year :)

In 2006 I purchased and had registered 2 new cars in BKK. both financed in my name, registered, and I have never had a Non Imm. Later I transfered both cars to Phuket DLT, still no Non IMM needed. Later I sold both cars, still no Non Imm needed, and never asked for

Renewed my DL 2 weeks ago. Touristvisa or entrystamp, one year only.

Non Imm, one to five year by choice (and payment as fee is pr year valid)

as stated by lady starting the movie everyone have to watch

and I am not getting married to get Non Imm to get 5 year :)

We seem to have this same discussion going on now in several threads.

I'm not in doubt what you say. However i believe non-imm visa indeed is official requirement. The fact that 5 year normal DL is not issued without one indicates that as well. Or do you have anything to prove otherwise other than you personal experience in few DLT's.

Not trying to pick a fight here, just would like to what the law or rules say in reality.

Ok, lets try here for DL info...

Brief Google will bring loads of sites listing non-imm visa as official requirements.

Couple to mention:

1. Thai Consulate in Hull has following instructions available

2. New Zealand Embassy states the same LINK

3. Thai law online by Isaan lawyers LINK

Actually funny, Hull consulate refers Thai Visa on the application process laugh.gif

If the Visa Rules stop you getting a Thai Licence, and i very much doubt they do, your home country licence will do. If your a Tourist in another country do you idiots go rushing to get a Spanish ,Bali , South African Licence . Obviously you do , or do you just crack up here.cheesy.gif

Ok, lets try here for DL info...

Brief Google will bring loads of sites listing non-imm visa as official requirements.

Couple to mention:

1. Thai Consulate in Hull has following instructions available

2. New Zealand Embassy states the same LINK

3. Thai law online by Isaan lawyers LINK

Actually funny, Hull consulate refers Thai Visa on the application process laugh.gif

Dated info

Chonbury actually has a printed sign on the door stating entrystamp15/30 days you get one year only

DLT update their public info approx 5 years after rules come into effect. Just watched their traffic rules movie, and all fines quoted, window film etc is more than 5 years old

5 years ago one could not get Thai DL on entrystamp or touristvisa. Times and rules have changed

Dated info

Chonbury actually has a printed sign on the door stating entrystamp15/30 days you get one year only

DLT update their public info approx 5 years after rules come into effect. Just watched their traffic rules movie, and all fines quoted, window film etc is more than 5 years old

5 years ago one could not get Thai DL on entrystamp or touristvisa. Times and rules have changed

If there's been changes it must happen in a year or so. Anything to back this up? Other than your personal experience or signs in tourist ghetto DLT's?

Again i'm not talking of the practice in individual DLT's. Looking the actual law and regulations on this. I'd assume we would heard of it already if the laws been changed?

If the Visa Rules stop you getting a Thai Licence, and i very much doubt they do, your home country licence will do. If your a Tourist in another country do you idiots go rushing to get a Spanish ,Bali , South African Licence . Obviously you do , or do you just crack up here.cheesy.gif

I'll have Thai DL no probs there. I also have valid ones in EU, Singapore and Philippines with bunch of expired ones from many countries.

Your home country or international is for tourists, commonly accepted for three months. Longer than this you should have Thai DL. Now i know there's usually no issues driving longer on home country or international. I could argue that no DL is needed at all in Thailand. I used to drive without and never issue if stopped by police. But that's not the point, with Thai system as it is it would be very beneficial to know the actual law, rules and requirements. Would help many members here and new comers when faced with some weird requirements of the day when applying.

Ppl here claim to have world record of registering vehicles in thailand and presenting their personal experiences as the rule of law which they are not.

So how about small competition here, 10 points for first one to post reliable source of present reg's and requirements for Thai DL for foreigners. I had present links up there so now prove me wrong.