Snake Id

tassini

Earlier today we found this little (40cm) bugger having a tussle with his lunch (a Millipede), we captured him and have him confined to quarters (large jar) whilst trying to confirm his ID. Now we think he is a Malayan Banded Krait and highly venomous but we are not experts! Can anyone confirm? If he is harmless we will release him back into the garden as he is a little beauty, venomous and he will be off for a ride in the truck and released somewhere safe away from our children and dogs.

Tas

post-109972-0-65082900-1322647011_thumb.

It looks very much like a Blue Krait and commonly called a Malayan Krait. The head is mostly blue black and unfortunately the head is not showing. Here is a link to a video clip that shows the snake pretty well. I had the opportunity to see one close up when we enlarged a pond. It got scooped up by the excavator and dumped in a dump truck. When the truck dumped the dirt, the Thais scattered when the snake crawled out of the dirt. They wanted me to kill it but I let it go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqPH85YUR9U

ADDED - It's very likely that it could be a deadly little critter. I'd be very careful with it and release it far from your house.

Edited by Gary A

Thanks to all for confirming our original thoughts. Nice to know the old brain can still remeber a few things I have read over the years!

Got to say he was very aggressive, not one for the faint hearted to handle. Made many attempts to bite me! He is somewhere safe now in the Khao Yai National Park. The local farmer has been harvesting his corn so he probably was disturbed by all the comotion and decided to come live with us.

Tas

Thanks to all for confirming our original thoughts. Nice to know the old brain can still remeber a few things I have read over the years!

Got to say he was very aggressive, not one for the faint hearted to handle. Made many attempts to bite me! He is somewhere safe now in the Khao Yai National Park. The local farmer has been harvesting his corn so he probably was disturbed by all the comotion and decided to come live with us.

Tas

So nice to hear a happy story about a snake :).

Its v depressing only hearing about snakes that were killed and then asked for an ID - they all turned out to be harmless...

We've had a few Cobra in our garden in the past but last night my wife saw two yellow/black snakes which turned out to be Yellow Banded Krait! I was out at the time so our neighbour came and did the deed, he decided to kill them as he was pretty sure they were venomous and I have an 18mnth old daughter, his wife is pregnant and there are also some other small kids that live on our little moo baan.

He's killed a fair few snakes before as grew up in the Philippines but still pretty brave to take on these two!

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/banded-krait-venomous-deadly/

post-61039-0-80230600-1323404678_thumb.j

Edited by skybluestu

We've had a few Cobra in our garden in the past but last night my wife saw two yellow/black snakes which turned out to be Yellow Banded Krait! I was out at the time so our neighbour came and did the deed, he decided to kill them as he was pretty sure they were venomous and I have an 18mnth old daughter, his wife is pregnant and there are also some other small kids that live on our little moo baan.

He's killed a fair few snakes before as grew up in the Philippines but still pretty brave to take on these two!

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/banded-krait-venomous-deadly/

Pretty easy to dispatch a snake - much braver and wiser to relocate them ( experience withstanding )

I understand the danger regarding your family situation however :)

I've seen 3 snakes in the last 2 weeks here in Isaan - 2 already dead ( chopped in two ) and the 3rd one I managed to catch before the bloke running up the lane with a machete got here. Chucked it in a sack and released it 10 km away ( no not next to the Mother-in-laws gaff )

For the record I do not recommend trying to catch a snake unless you have lots of experience.

Edited by chonabot