Bad Drivers Phuket

Tanuki

Stay out of the right lane and you should be OK.

Drift over and its your fault if you get swiped and left grazed and bruised.

The rules should be, keep left if you don't intend to go over 80kph. Simple.

Remedy: Keep driving and ignore the wreckage in the rear view mirror.

"THE RULES SHOULD BE." They aren't !!!!! And; "Keep driving and ignore the wreckage in the rear view mirror."

Unbelievable! I can't understand people who have this type of self entitlement mentality... bah.gif

Its a survival mentality.

Firstly, stick around and watch the crowd gather with threats of violence and god forbid a relative shows up before police.

More people involved means more palms that need greasing.

Better just to drive off and get in contact with the local police chief in the next few days.

Pay him to mediate a settlement once emotions simmer down.

I have been advised by Thai people that this is the best way to deal with the situation, hence the Thais doing it most of the time.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a survival mentality.

Firstly, stick around and watch the crowd gather with threats of violence and god forbid a relative shows up before police.

More people involved means more palms that need greasing.

Better just to drive off and get in contact with the local police chief in the next few days.

Pay him to mediate a settlement once emotions simmer down.

I have been advised by Thai people that this is the best way to deal with the situation, hence the Thais doing it most of the time.

Okay, I'll go along with not stopping in most cases, as we all know what can happen. But avoidance of the accident by just slowing down a bit and anticipating that someone WILL do something stupid around you, can prevent a tragic event for you and another's family. I remember when I first got my car insurance here. I asked; what happens if I kill someone on a motorbike? Will my A1 insurance cover it? They said yes, but you also need to make an offer to the family of what this person would be worth if alive. I joked, I better not kill a police general then! They said good thinking.

I love all the do gooders in this forum....explaining the road rules and what good drivers you are, these same people posting about go go bars and cheap beers. Just got on question for you.

As there is no public transport and bugger all taxis in Rawaii, Chalong, Kata and Nai Harn...... you guys would never drink and drive right?laugh.gif

Sometimes it's unavoidable for small motorbikes to move into the right hand lane, mainly to turn right, or, forced to do a U-turn.

I make sure it's clear behind me, indicate well before I actually maneuver and hug the extreme right-hand side of the right lane. Probably the most nerve wracking thing you can do on a small bike.

my god how DUMB are you. DO NOT TURN IN THE LANE BEFORE THE SMALL UTURN LANE APPEARS and the problem is solved. You're one of those inconsiderate ***** who turns into the right lane for the central uturn around Sb design(or even tesco) right?

I love all the do gooders in this forum....explaining the road rules and what good drivers you are, these same people posting about go go bars and cheap beers. Just got on question for you.

As there is no public transport and bugger all taxis in Rawaii, Chalong, Kata and Nai Harn...... you guys would never drink and drive right?laugh.gif

No I never drink and drive is that wrong?????

Is being a safe and considerate driver a do gooder, must say I am very proud to be called this!!

Edited by kenny999

Sometimes it's unavoidable for small motorbikes to move into the right hand lane, mainly to turn right, or, forced to do a U-turn.

I make sure it's clear behind me, indicate well before I actually maneuver and hug the extreme right-hand side of the right lane. Probably the most nerve wracking thing you can do on a small bike.

my god how DUMB are you. DO NOT TURN IN THE LANE BEFORE THE SMALL UTURN LANE APPEARS and the problem is solved. You're one of those inconsiderate ***** who turns into the right lane for the central uturn around Sb design(or even tesco) right?

Just to make it clear I make the change to the right hand lane(for u turn, as late as possible, other wise you put yourself at extreme risk from very fast moving cars etc!!

I go up the by pass road many times and rarely does any one pass me, I travel between 100 kph and 120 kph conditions and traffic permitting, yes there are a few that do more than this but in my experience not that many!!

bypass road is a few km long, I am talking real highways and expressways where drivers think they can use right lane cause their at 120kmh. Thai law is clear, keep left except at moment of overtaking

When I drive to Bangkok I normally drive at 120 km/h, and very rarely get overtaken. For sure not by the buses that people always claim drive a lot faster.

Is being a safe and considerate driver a do gooder, must say I am very proud to be called this!!

So lets get this straight....when your in a bar at night time you get taxis, tuk tuks or the missus drives you around?...And also when you see other people who are drinking and then go to hop on the motorbike...you stop them right? (And this includes the staff), So you stop them and tell them that 'if you so much as hurt a single member of my family its not your teeth that you will be worrying about!!' or is that only for the forums? To me if you sit in a bar (and carry on like the do gooder in thaivisa) and watch other people drink then drive you are a hypochrite. jap.gif

Edited by snamos

I go up the by pass road many times and rarely does any one pass me, I travel between 100 kph and 120 kph conditions and traffic permitting, yes there are a few that do more than this but in my experience not that many!!

bypass road is a few km long, I am talking real highways and expressways where drivers think they can use right lane cause their at 120kmh. Thai law is clear, keep left except at moment of overtaking

When I drive to Bangkok I normally drive at 120 km/h, and very rarely get overtaken. For sure not by the buses that people always claim drive a lot faster.

I agree 120KPH no buses and few cars pass you

What are you blathering about? I go to the right hand lane when it's clear. If that means 500 mtrs before the turn, so be it.

So lets get this straight....when your in a bar at night time you get taxis, tuk tuks or the missus drives you around?...And also when you see other people who are drinking and then go to hop on the motorbike...you stop them right? (And this includes the staff), So you stop them and tell them that 'if you so much as hurt a single member of my family its not your teeth that you will be worrying about!!' or is that only for the forums? To me if you sit in a bar (and carry on like the do gooder in thaivisa) and watch other people drink then drive you are a hypochrite. jap.gif

lets get it straight, I do not drink and drive full stop, I am an adult who has will power and a gf that drives, it is wrong to drink and drive, any one who is drinking in a bar then drives that is up to him or her etc, it would be impossible to stop peoploe drinking and driving, so I look after number 1 and take care of my family, if you would like to read my previous comment, if any one causes an accident whilst driving like a moron and it involves me and injures any of my family they will need to run away very fast because they will indeed be in danger of becoming a statistic!!! and no any thing I say is fact and not just for these forums, some of us actually have morals and do not create a false persona in order to come across as the big I am!!! I appreciate some people find it impossible not drink and drive all this does is show a very weak personality and a total disregard for there own safety and the safety of there family and other road users!!

I also have to agree that is not good allowing people to leave a bar drunk knowing they will drive, it is impossible to stop these people who would become aggressive, instead it is best just to try and avoid them and hope they do not kill any one.

An extra note, some people know right from wrong, some people are able to refrain from drinking knowing they will be driving, I am not an alcoholic and I am able to refrain from drinking alcohol, I find it incredible that some people actually boast about doing this and boast about driving like a moron, at the end of the day it is up to the individual to conduct himself in a way that suits him and his morals, I choose to put myself and my family before any thing else, why wouldn't you think like this?

lets get it straight, I do not drink and drive full stop, I am an adult who has will power and a gf that drives, it is wrong to drink and drive, any one who is drinking in a bar then drives that is up to him or her etc, it would be impossible to stop peoploe drinking and driving, so I look after number 1 and take care of my family, if you would like to read my previous comment, if any one causes an accident whilst driving like a moron and it involves me and injures any of my family they will need to run away very fast because they will indeed be in danger of becoming a statistic!!! and no any thing I say is fact and not just for these forums, some of us actually have morals and do not create a false persona in order to come across as the big I am!!! I appreciate some people find it impossible not drink and drive all this does is show a very weak personality and a total disregard for there own safety and the safety of there family and other road users!!

I also have to agree that is not good allowing people to leave a bar drunk knowing they will drive, it is impossible to stop these people who would become aggressive, instead it is best just to try and avoid them and hope they do not kill any one.

An extra note, some people know right from wrong, some people are able to refrain from drinking knowing they will be driving, I am not an alcoholic and I am able to refrain from drinking alcohol, I find it incredible that some people actually boast about doing this and boast about driving like a moron, at the end of the day it is up to the individual to conduct himself in a way that suits him and his morals, I choose to put myself and my family before any thing else, why wouldn't you think like this?

Ok so you have never driven drunk....first time for everything in Thailand

The problem in Thailand is no one obeys the speed limits and it is not policed

I travel at the speed that keeps up with the traffic flow at a safe distance from the car in front

Then you get the idiots who force there way through on the outside lane or drive on the

wrong side of the road to gain one car length by pulling into the space you leave

to brake safely

Here is my list of bad drivers. Mini buses, concrete trucks, Fortuners (you always know when they are on the telephone as they meander about slowly), Honda Jazz, about 5% of motorbike riders. Of course there are dangerous, rude, inconsiderate drivers in other vehicles but my observations show these to be the worst.

Tailgating is an increasing problem in Phuket as can be seen by the increasing number of white painted lines on the roads showing 2 or more vehicles who have collided. There are very few road improvements going on around the island & certainly not enough to cope with the rapid increase in new vehicles coming on to the roads, many of which are first time riders or drivers. More than 235,000 motorcycles and 106,000 cars were registered in Phuket as of March 18 (this makes the official population figures look totally out of whack also considering there are likley an additional 20 to 30,000 vehicles which are registered outside of Phuket).

Reply to snamos, I have driven drunk many times in the past, I was no saint!! but at some point in your life you realize and say to yourself, "what am I doing this for, why am I doing this" that happened to me and I became sensible, you can not stop people from drink driving it is just best to avoid these people if possible, all of us decent people just have to do what is right for us and hope others think the same!!

My god how DUMB are you. DO NOT TURN IN THE LANE BEFORE THE SMALL UTURN LANE APPEARS and the problem is solved. You're one of those inconsiderate ***** who turns into the right lane for the central uturn around Sb design(or even tesco) right?

What are you blathering about? I go to the right hand lane when it's clear. If that means 500 mtrs before the turn, so be it.

Then you will be in the wrong when you get hit and die. That's your choice if you want to block traffic. Suffer the consequences. You are supose to wait untill you are very close to it, then accelerate fast, wait untill a car in the right lane turns as well or WAIT on the side of the road untill its clear.

Here is my list of bad drivers. Mini buses, concrete trucks, Fortuners (you always know when they are on the telephone as they meander about slowly), Honda Jazz, about 5% of motorbike riders. Of course there are dangerous, rude, inconsiderate drivers in other vehicles but my observations show these to be the worst.

Tailgating is an increasing problem in Phuket as can be seen by the increasing number of white painted lines on the roads showing 2 or more vehicles who have collided. There are very few road improvements going on around the island & certainly not enough to cope with the rapid increase in new vehicles coming on to the roads, many of which are first time riders or drivers. More than 235,000 motorcycles and 106,000 cars were registered in Phuket as of March 18 (this makes the official population figures look totally out of whack also considering there are likley an additional 20 to 30,000 vehicles which are registered outside of Phuket).

5% of motorbike riders?

Every single motorbike rider is terrible, even those you feel are experienced. They are the ones that cut into small road traffics by the left when there is obstacles and then right before the obstacle they swerve in front of the cars like maniacs or into other motorbikes already travelling in the middle of the lane to avoid the obstacle. This is a problem from having a low iq and not understanding future consequences of road obstructions 2meters ahead. No thai is imune to this. Obviously its alwaysn the job of the car to move into incoming traffic to avoid them or to break and get rear ended right?

Then you will be in the wrong when you get hit and die. That's your choice if you want to block traffic. Suffer the consequences. You are supose to wait untill you are very close to it, then accelerate fast, wait untill a car in the right lane turns as well or WAIT on the side of the road untill its clear.

I don't block traffic, I cross when it's clear (try improving your reading comprehension). Accelerate fast driving a Honda 90CC or 70CC.....yeah...right!

5% of motorbike riders?

Every single motorbike rider is terrible, even those you feel are experienced.

And thus why 99% of posters here don't agree with you in these driving threads Thailand. You and your own road rules show how selfish you are.

Maybe it is time for you to learn something about driving rules and habits here, because on both counts you are wrong.

5% of motorbike riders?

And thus why 99% of posters here don't agree with you in these driving threads Thailand. You and your own road rules show how selfish you are.

Yes im so selfish that when im on my bike i move into the middle of the lane when an object would block me if i had stayed on the shoulder so that i can avoid making cars break for no reason. Oh wait im just a good driver that can see 2 meters in front of him.

Maybe it is time for you to learn something about driving rules and habits here, because on both counts you are wrong.

How am i wrong? Dont be mad because you cant afford a car. He's driving on the shoulder of the fast lane before the uturn apears, hes looking for trouble. How can i be wrong in there? if i pass him i have to get REALLY close to him and i sure wont slow down in the fast lane, as wont most thais. Any little jerking move to the left and he's dead.

Explain to me how i am wrong on this? I am wrong because i have a brain and can use logic when im driving? Avoiding danger and annoying other drivers makes me wrong?

What if the road isn't clear as I get close to the place I have to U-turn and I am close to the shoulder?

You expect me to stop?

You haven't a clue.

I've been riding small bikes on Phuket for over 25 years and you?

If by the time you are ready to turn the lane isnt clear, it means that if you had moved into the fast lane you would be currently blocking traffic and creating mayhem therefore you should of driven faster or moved to the left and waited for an opening instead of being a lost senile man hovering left and right in the traffic.

Edited by LivinginKata
Insulting comment removed

5% of motorbike riders?

Yes im so selfish that when im on my bike i move into the middle of the lane when an object would block me if i had stayed on the shoulder so that i can avoid making cars break for no reason. Oh wait im just a good driver that can see 2 meters in front of him.

Again no thailand. Bike rider sees upcoming shoulder obstruction, checks rearview to be sure lane is clear, moves over to get around obstruction, but then speedy Gonzalez thailand who has decided to pass on the left because he's in such a hurry, then appears out of nowhere and has to break.

Oh no, wait, you already stated you then get so close to the rider that you almost hit them. Both the passing on the left, and getting close to rider stated by you in previous posts.

I stick to my earlier comment regarding the way you view your own road rules here.

prob me, i hit a farang's bike on the bypass few months ago when he wasnt in the shoulder and i was trying to pass someone by the left lane because he was going 40 in the right lane as they always do

Tanuki. Drive faster or further left and if you see an obstacle then stop and wait for cars to pass you if you're a slow driver. If you'Re trying to do a uturn on the right side of the road, wait untill you are next to the uturn lane before switching from the shoulder to the middle lanes instead of pissing off everyone driving at 30kph in the fast lane.

If you follow those simple rules, you wont ever be too close to a moving car.

Did you deliberately hit the motorcycle because he wasn't riding to your standards and he pissed you off, or because of your poor driving skills? I hope you stopped and explained your rules to him as he was on your road..

Well said AussieBrian...

Since when and in which country should motorbikes drive in the shoulder ??

That doesn't give us much room to dodge dangerous drivers plus more chance to get a puncture from all the rubbish !!

I think the fact that we pay road tax entitles us to drive on the 'road'...

Just in case, I carry a 2ft metal bar which is a good deterrent for pushy drivers :)

So Mr Thailand, share the roads and play nice, otherwise you might get bumped yourself..

jap.gif

Again no thailand. Bike rider sees upcoming shoulder obstruction, checks rearview to be sure lane is clear, moves over to get around obstruction, but then speedy Gonzalez thailand who has decided to pass on the left because he's in such a hurry, then appears out of nowhere and has to break.

Oh no, wait, you already stated you then get so close to the rider that you almost hit them. Both the passing on the left, and getting close to rider stated by you in previous posts.

I stick to my earlier comment regarding the way you view your own road rules here.

and I fully support those comments

thailand, would you run over pedestrians on the right side waiting to cross the road too?