Bad Drivers Phuket

Tanuki

My 125cc pcx scooter does 0-80kmh in 6 seconds,

Not when you you have to finish picking your nose, sort out the five infants scattered around on the contraption and give the som tam a stir in the cooker on the sidecar before you take off from the lights!

:D

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's not even talk about the samlors, motorbikes ( and sometimes cars) that drive the wrong way, forcing everyone to move to the right causing accidents. Why are people so lazy and jai ron that they can't wait 20 seconds to cross to the correct side of the road to make their 3K journey?

Don't slow down for idiots when in a car or on a motorbike. Just go around them and keep booting or you may get a water truck up your behind. Better to deal with traffic from 3 sides instead of 4

Agree 100%

Quote from the 1976 movie The Gumball Rally

" Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian (Phuket) driving.

[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]

Franco: What's-a behind me is not important."

Why is everyone around here in such a big hurry? The roads are small and there are a lot of vehicles on them. I see people driving like maniacs to get somewhere maybe a minute or less before I do. Share the road, get off my ass and have some consideration. You're not the only one who is trying to get somewhere...

how many times have you had traffic oncoming,and had to brake as there is someone on a bike wondering around,taking up the whole lane. stay in the bike lane,use your mirrors,and try and think how difficult you make it for us sensible drivers. dont even get me on the motor bike and side cars straying around the road.i will not hesitate to run one off the road if left with no choice.

How about you car drivers give us bike riders a bit more clearance when you pass.

Maybe passing us then slamming on the brakes so you can turn left making us have to break sharply, too is also something you can avoid?

Also, don't purposely block off the extreme left hand-side used by bikes at traffic lights, we want to get to the front.

Car drivers, have you noticed that at most sets of lights there is a box with squiggly writing in it? It says motorbikes only, so, stay out of it.

How about actually waiting until the road is clear before pulling out of a soi, instead of slowly edging out making all the vehicles on the main road first dodge around you, then stop.

Motorbike riders do not have the monopoly when it comes to bad and inconsiderate driving.

i have answered thios many times. Bikes should not go to the front. Very few bikes drive fast enough.

Same thing always happens.

bikes almost scratch your car, then they block when the light turns green, then you have to pass them while breaking left and right to avoid hitting those who are drunk/idiots therefore wasting a ton of gas on your accelerations.

When you drive both a small motorbike and car you know these things. I go to the front of the lane because i always accelerate a lot faster than every motorbike and car(and if wasnt i would stay behind) and wish they'd all stay in their respective place in the queue instead of trying to jump in the oncoming traffic's windshield just to feel good about yourself when you pass those idiot waiting in their cars on your glorious motorbike

Don't slow down for idiots when in a car or on a motorbike. Just go around them and keep booting or you may get a water truck up your behind. Better to deal with traffic from 3 sides instead of 4

agreed, only fix to stay relatively safe here is to be faster than the crowd

I have totally given up riding on the shoulders as that is indeed suicidal

even on my slow pcx, usually top speed 80kmh, I am in the middle of left lane, or in the middle of right lane if I am fast enough to not have a car/van wanting to overtake

as for non experienced riders, stay on the shoulders at low speed, and leave the road to those who can ride :D

i would say that even bad motorbike drivers that are too slow should stay in the middle of the lane if its 1 lane each way and there is decent traffic on the road. If not you'll just get killed by most cars since thais do not understand how large their cars are, space relations isnt their strong suit. That way they can only pass you when there is no oncoming traffic. I personally dont mind when motorbikes do this as usually even if i pass them ill get stuck behind other people soon enough on those streets.

seems you have totally missed how Thai traffic is organised

all roads with speed limit 80 or lower, most redlights have 2 STOP lines. One for 4 wheelers or more, one for 2 wheelers ahead of the 4 wheelers. Bikes take off and accelerate faster than most cars and reach speedlimit. Now if you need to overtake above speedlimit, YOU need to be patient rather than trying to push bikers off the road

and OP, when you say locals I assume you think of both Thai and foreigners. Only 10% of new cars in Phuket are sold to foreign owners, but they sure are over represented as bully drivers

if you're so sure are you willing to do a money bet? i will film all my redlights in my car and show you how the bikes take all 3 lanes on the airport road (at anypoint in phuket town/koh kaew etc) and most of them accelerate to about 40kph TOPS very slowly, maybe 5% of them go fast. Every single time. Even on my fino with 2 people and driving safely and slow i have to fight motorbikes by taking the fast lane to overtake them at 50kph on a 3 lane road. If they simply waited in the back, more cars would get through the redlight, traffic would decrease so much.

The bike accelerates faster than a car is such a stupid argument. Most 125cc bikes accelerate about at the same speed as a car and thats at full throttle, thais dont drive at full throttle and most thais have 40year old bikes.

i always accelerate a lot faster than every motorbike

Yeah.......sure you do rolleyes.gif

One day if you drive next to my car you'll be part of the group of people i hear screaming because im driving 2cm away from them when they block me.. Best part of my day. 3 Thais on motorbike blocking my way unknowingly then screaming for their lives thinking im a bad thai driver who doesn't know his distances. My hope is that by spooking them to death, they'll eventually learn something and gtfo the middle of the road.

One day if you drive next to my car you'll be part of the group of people i hear screaming because im driving 2cm away from them when they block me.. Best part of my day. 3 Thais on motorbike blocking my way unknowingly then screaming for their lives thinking im a bad thai driver who doesn't know his distances. My hope is that by spooking them to death, they'll eventually learn something and gtfo the middle of the road.

great, one more farang wanting to teach 30 million others how to ride/drive in their own country, by scaring the shit out of them and putting their lives at risk

That probably won't happen, but sooner or later you'll hit one of them.

How about you car drivers give us bike riders a bit more clearance when you pass.

Maybe passing us then slamming on the brakes so you can turn left making us have to break sharply, too is also something you can avoid?

Also, don't purposely block off the extreme left hand-side used by bikes at traffic lights, we want to get to the front.

Car drivers, have you noticed that at most sets of lights there is a box with squiggly writing in it? It says motorbikes only, so, stay out of it.

How about actually waiting until the road is clear before pulling out of a soi, instead of slowly edging out making all the vehicles on the main road first dodge around you, then stop.

Motorbike riders do not have the monopoly when it comes to bad and inconsiderate driving.

i have answered thios many times. Bikes should not go to the front. Very few bikes drive fast enough.

Same thing always happens.

bikes almost scratch your car, then they block when the light turns green, then you have to pass them while breaking left and right to avoid hitting those who are drunk/idiots therefore wasting a ton of gas on your accelerations.

When you drive both a small motorbike and car you know these things. I go to the front of the lane because i always accelerate a lot faster than every motorbike and car(and if wasnt i would stay behind) and wish they'd all stay in their respective place in the queue instead of trying to jump in the oncoming traffic's windshield just to feel good about yourself when you pass those idiot waiting in their cars on your glorious motorbike

suggest you accept Thai traffic rules. Bikes are supposed to go to the front. cars need to STOP before second STOP line

seems you have totally missed how Thai traffic is organised

all roads with speed limit 80 or lower, most redlights have 2 STOP lines. One for 4 wheelers or more, one for 2 wheelers ahead of the 4 wheelers. Bikes take off and accelerate faster than most cars and reach speedlimit. Now if you need to overtake above speedlimit, YOU need to be patient rather than trying to push bikers off the road

and OP, when you say locals I assume you think of both Thai and foreigners. Only 10% of new cars in Phuket are sold to foreign owners, but they sure are over represented as bully drivers

if you're so sure are you willing to do a money bet? i will film all my redlights in my car and show you how the bikes take all 3 lanes on the airport road (at anypoint in phuket town/koh kaew etc) and most of them accelerate to about 40kph TOPS very slowly, maybe 5% of them go fast. Every single time. Even on my fino with 2 people and driving safely and slow i have to fight motorbikes by taking the fast lane to overtake them at 50kph on a 3 lane road. If they simply waited in the back, more cars would get through the redlight, traffic would decrease so much.

The bike accelerates faster than a car is such a stupid argument. Most 125cc bikes accelerate about at the same speed as a car and thats at full throttle, thais dont drive at full throttle and most thais have 40year old bikes.

"airportroad", I assume you mean the 3 digit Highway with speedlimit 90kmh, which is not what I was talking about

great, one more farang wanting to teach 30 million others how to ride/drive in their own country, by scaring the shit out of them and putting their lives at risk

Well Said KBB , too many ferangs have that Superior Sam attitude. We know they do funny things , so what . We have an ability to give way , they soon disperse , and off we go , back up to 180.cheesy.gif

Funny how some riders who don't bother with any of the traffic rules here regarding speeding, drunk driving, etc, suddenly think the only rule which must be obeyed is the one that says they alone have the right to stop in the painted box at the front of the traffic lights.

And their authority is the squiggly line painted there.

Well I don't read squiggle, and I will continue to go to the front of this box, when able, until the police start booking transgressors.

:rolleyes::D

edit: deleted quotes

Edited by Old Croc

Funny how some riders who don't bother with any of the traffic rules here regarding speeding, drunk driving, etc, suddenly think the only rule which must be obeyed is the one that says they alone have the right to stop in the painted box at the front of the traffic lights.

Well I don't read squiggle, and I will continue to go to the front of this box, when able, until the police start booking transgressors.

no problem, but being in a bike designated area you really cant complain having your car scratched by a motocy :whistling:

me neither :)

and red light cameras automatic fining are already operating in BKK, and will also come to Phuket

Recently, in Phuket City I had to stop at lights in a very narrow street. As the third car back I thought I had a reasonable chance to proceed when they turned green.

That was until 73,423 bikes arrived on the scene and wended their way between cars, through any small gap, on the wrong side of the road forcing oncoming traffic to swerve, so they could reach the front of the line. There they parked facing in all directions. Those that couldn't get to the front settled down anywhere they could find space, surrounding the cars in the line.

When the lights changed a farang on a ninja took off at high speed and was probably in Kata before the lights changed again. The rest took an interminable amount of time to untangle themselves and putter through the intersection. The first car managed to get through on the red. The rest of us barely moved. I moved up a car length and made sure there was no gap between me and the curb nor the car in front. I got through at the next change.

:annoyed:

no problem, but being in a bike designated area you really cant complain having your car scratched by a motocy :whistling:

me neither :)

and red light cameras automatic fining are already operating in BKK, and will also come to Phuket

No problem, as long as said vandal doesn't mind wearing a vios up the arse at the next lights.

I knew where all the traffic light cameras were in my old home town, and didn't run lights near them. I'm sure Thaivisa posters will keep me updated on the locations of any here.

:D

+

Bikes accelerate faster than cars from traffic lights!!

KBB, you, and your ilk, on your super bikes, maybe. All the rest of the little shitty 50ccers and sidecars move off about as fast as me on foot with my walking stick.

My Vios is the fastest thing from the lights by a street, nine times out of ten!

+1

Recently, in Phuket City I had to stop at lights in a very narrow street. As the third car back I thought I had a reasonable chance to proceed when they turned green.

That was until 73,423 bikes arrived on the scene and wended their way between cars, through any small gap, on the wrong side of the road forcing oncoming traffic to swerve, so they could reach the front of the line. There they parked facing in all directions. Those that couldn't get to the front settled down anywhere they could find space, surrounding the cars in the line.

When the lights changed a farang on a ninja took off at high speed and was probably in Kata before the lights changed again. The rest took an interminable amount of time to untangle themselves and putter through the intersection. The first car managed to get through on the red. The rest of us barely moved. I moved up a car length and made sure there was no gap between me and the curb nor the car in front. I got through at the next change.

post-81971-0-54084700-1322716887_thumb.j

by, by :D

being out in the sun and rain has some advantages. Sitting in an aircon steelcage has some advantages

in Phuket I do more kms by bike than car, but to be honest in town pcx auto scoot is better than Ninja, and I find town to be a nightmare by car

In Thailand I have done more km by car than bike. approx 400.000km by car

+1million.

+1million.

so you sit there in your AC steelcages, consuming fossile fuel and polluting 4-6 times more than all the scoots, totally unable to adapt to Thai traffic and how the majority of this countries population solve their transportneeds :lol: :lol:

any flames coming B)

edit

well, I often do the same in the rainy season, and when it clears up I envy the bikers too :)

now picture all these bikers getting a Vios

I think almost everything in this topic makes sense in one way or another. I think the main thing to remember is driving here has it's own rules and you need to adapt to survive. No-one will change the system. Don't hurtle around at 150kph and don't sit in the right hand lane at 5kph. And most importantly accept the fact that every other vehicle, be it a cement truck, vigo, moped, grandma or road warrior poses a danger to you and keep a watchful eye out for other road users!

I got 17k km on my 125cc bike and i cannot remember any Thai trying to test my driving skills. I must say that traffic here aint that bad. Perhaps it has something to do with my 10 years of living in India/Bangladesh prior to my stay here in Thailand. Compared to these countries, traffic here goes smooth as silk :P

The alcohol usage of people here does concern me from time to time though

so you sit there in your AC steelcages, consuming fossile fuel and polluting 4-6 times more than all the scoots, totally unable to adapt to Thai traffic and how the majority of this countries population solve their transportneeds :lol: :lol:

any flames coming B)

edit

well, I often do the same in the rainy season, and when it clears up I envy the bikers too :)

now picture all these bikers getting a Vios

Much rather see them climbing on to a cheap, comprehensive and regular bus service!

It's a real pity dirt poor locals have to spend money buying a motorbike before they spend their meager funds on food or decent accommodation for their families.

They don't even have enough money for helmets, headlight bulbs or bike riding lessons for their nine year olds going to school. :ermm:

Much rather see them climbing on to a cheap, comprehensive and regular bus service!

It's a real pity dirt poor locals have to spend money buying a motorbike before they spend their meager funds on food or decent accommodation for their families.

They don't even have enough money for helmets, headlight bulbs or bike riding lessons for their nine year olds going to school. :ermm:

so true, there isnt even schooltransportation.:annoyed:

we presently do 50km a day with a 4 year old kid only schoolruns :blink:

, by bike mostly :D

If you really think accommodation or food is in Thailand more important than a motorbike I'm afraid you don't understand much about it's people.

Whoops, I'm one of those that goes to the front of the line and it is the main reason I keep using a scooter. I do take care to stay on the left so the cars can pass me again. No one waits in line with cars.

A couple of days ago I borrowed a pickup truck and I felt so much more in danger. The way Thai drivers cut the corners into the opposing lane , even on totally blind turns, I just felt as if I were going to get in a head on collision. I am used to the agility of a scooter. Of course never ever getting distracted, and proper safety wear is paramount on a scooter, and in a car.

I think the Thai brand of machismo is the main reason it is so dangerous, the ratio of male drivers driving in a dangerous manner, ( to others at least ) to female is extremely high, any insurer would confirm this.

If you really think accommodation or food is in Thailand more important than a motorbike I'm afraid you don't understand much about it's people.

By partially quoting my post and leaving out the important part about prefering to see a bus service, you twisted the meaning.

You don't understand much about forum etiquite.

Edited by Old Croc