Bad Drivers Phuket

Tanuki

Don't slow down for idiots when in a car or on a motorbike. Just go around them and keep booting or you may get a water truck up your behind. Better to deal with traffic from 3 sides instead of 4

I know for some it sounds strange.. but i agree.... as it's going to end up being your fault/farang pay.... or worse... water truck full/cement truck full

smashing your little Jazz and killing you.

I can just imagine the strict training and licencing for heavy trucks here... like in Samui testing centre whilst waiting and watching with amusment the driving tests.. a truck comes for the test... fails.. then drives home to possibly come back another day... Whatthe?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do people keep writing this kind of nonsense? The person responsible for an accident is the one that will have to take the blame, whereever he/she is from.

agreed steven :)

and get a better pickup

2011 Vigo, Navara and Triton with 16-17 inchers road tyres and ABS all stop from 100kmh in 43-44 meters, on par or better than most cars

then learn how to use the brakes before you need them :)

You spelled organized wrong. Also its not a word most people would associate with Thai traffic. Not meaning to be pedantic lol, but if the bikes did stay in their lanes and accelerated as you imply and as per the road design, yes it could work, however they don't and they end up using the entire width of the road and all lanes because "Everyone of them wants to be first". Fundamental problem right there.

Sorry for english being my 4th language, but you obviously still got it :)

red lights are designed for bikes to use the full width of the road, that is how it is organised here. Take a look next time you are in one, its not in english, its written in Thai as we are in Thailand :D

bikes do not very often have designated lanes except on roads with speedlimit above 80kmh. Very few such in Phuket.

The 1979 road act with later updates does not say bikes must stay in left lane either. It says slow vehicles must. So when an ordinary car like a Vigo, Fortuner or Vios stops for redlight in right lane, they are wrong, as most bikes are much faster off at green. One of the reasons why the bike boxes ahead of cars STOP lines was introduced a few years ago

80 % of cars sold in Thailand care unable to accelearate on par with my local runaround scoot, a simple Honda PCX 125cc

Not 1% can accelerate on par with my Ninja.

So move over please :D

well is that what is says? you know, I actually like that.. SLOW go left... yes, even if u are in the latest sportscar, u might be on a slow drive..

I guess it's then just comes down to something else then... , for the life of me, if I intend to go slow, then I feel like a complete arse holding up trafic in the right lane..

the average poster here clearly lacks the mental capacity to understand that a SCOOTER being so small and slow have completely different right than cars.

Am i 500 iq points above earth level or are the majority of posters just brain dead?

Man thailand, you need to :

1. stop posting on this thread as the arrogance is abhorrent

2. change your nic, it's embarrassing

Why do people keep writing this kind of nonsense? The person responsible for an accident is the one that will have to take the blame, whereever he/she is from.

agreed steven :)

and get a better pickup

2011 Vigo, Navara and Triton with 16-17 inchers road tyres and ABS all stop from 100kmh in 43-44 meters, on par or better than most cars

then learn how to use the brakes before you need them :)

I must say that my stopping distance is very good. In any of the trucks mentioned you folks in the mini's must understand that I can see well further down the road that a mini car . What can you see in front of you in a mini. an exhaust pipe etc Additonally how much metal surrounds you is the main issue in a smash up.. The distance from, my add on bumper to me in the cab is about the same as a whole Ford Fiesta.... and that means a good possiblility for a long time siesta for the fiesta riders. I can anticipate the road issuses a few hundres meters out not just react to the tail lighjts in fromt of me. Some times I watch the min's fly down toward Rawai Beach from Ha Yek going the top speed for that mini car. Opps, I can get out of the way well with twice the engine and not nearly twice the weight. Please, Motor Bikies and Mini's "slow down you move too fast". Going at your top speed is unsafe. I've never passed 100 and that is about max in the mini's and motorbikes stock versions. (without unsafe vibration)

and as we all know it's the Farangs fault so I am actually a bit on edge driving the pickup thesedays..

Disagree,

When the speeding yahoo hit me from behind because he was going to fast, the cop tried very hard to get me to pay for his considerable damage to a brand new CBR and even assigned blame to me. Maybe you have a Thai partner to argue for your rights, but not all of us do.

I think Caucasian foreigners aka " farang" in Thailand are discriminated against at pretty much every opportunity and are more likely to be blamed unfairly in accidents.

and as we all know it's the Farangs fault so I am actually a bit on edge driving the pickup thesedays..

Disagree,

When the speeding yahoo hit me from behind because he was going to fast, the cop tried very hard to get me to pay for his considerable damage to a brand new CBR and even assigned blame to me. Maybe you have a Thai partner to argue for your rights, but not all of us do.

I think Caucasian foreigners aka " farang" in Thailand are discriminated against at pretty much every opportunity and are more likely to be blamed unfairly in accidents.

You don't need a Thai partner.

Simply call your insurance, they will sort it out for you. And since they don't like to pay you can be sure they won't unless you are to blame according to the law.

Simply call your insurance, they will sort it out for you. And since they don't like to pay you can be sure they won't unless you are to blame according to the law.

That's good advice Steven, but it does assume that you have first class insurance. And that's usually not available for a motor bike or older car/vehicle.

My last accident was a small bump into a m/bike that swerved in front of me. I wanted to offer a small payment for the light damage, but no ... the 2 young ladies wanted 'injury' and 'upset' money. I just called the insurance company, and wasted a couple of hours making a police report with the insurance assessor, and the ladies ended up with almost nothing to cover the damage to the rear number plate/mud guard. But I lost my no claims discount the next year's premium. Sigh sigh.

That's good advice Steven, but it does assume that you have first class insurance. And that's usually not available for a motor bike or older car/vehicle.

My last accident was a small bump into a m/bike that swerved in front of me. I wanted to offer a small payment for the light damage, but no ... the 2 young ladies wanted 'injury' and 'upset' money. I just called the insurance company, and wasted a couple of hours making a police report with the insurance assessor, and the ladies ended up with almost nothing to cover the damage to the rear number plate/mud guard. But I lost my no claims discount the next year's premium. Sigh sigh.

Yes, for motorbikes it can be more difficult, but for cars I presume most foreigners drive relatively new cars with first class insurance. First class insurance or not is not relevant though, because the insurance cover required is 3rd party, and I do hope everybody has that on their cars.

Yes, for motorbikes it can be more difficult, but for cars I presume most foreigners drive relatively new cars with first class insurance. First class insurance or not is not relevant though, because the insurance cover required is 3rd party, and I do hope everybody has that on their cars.

Many older cars & pick-ups only have the government 'compulsory' insurance which from my understanding only covers limited medical costs and no mechanical damage even to the third party. (and more important no bail bond !!!) I might be wrong with that thinking ??? but when I had an old old jeep I know I paid an extra premium for 3rd party, on top of the compulsory premium.

Many older cars & pick-ups only have the government 'compulsory' insurance which from my understanding only covers limited medical costs and no mechanical damage even to the third party. (and more important no bail bond !!!) I might be wrong with that thinking ??? but when I had an old old jeep I know I paid an extra premium for 3rd party, on top of the compulsory premium.

Motorbikes yes, you're right, cars afaik have 3rd party compulsory. But I'm not 100% sure about that. Would have to check that on the car insurance papers.

I must say that my stopping distance is very good. In any of the trucks mentioned you folks in the mini's must understand that I can see well further down the road that a mini car . What can you see in front of you in a mini. an exhaust pipe etc Additonally how much metal surrounds you is the main issue in a smash up.. The distance from, my add on bumper to me in the cab is about the same as a whole Ford Fiesta.... and that means a good possiblility for a long time siesta for the fiesta riders. I can anticipate the road issuses a few hundres meters out not just react to the tail lighjts in fromt of me. Some times I watch the min's fly down toward Rawai Beach from Ha Yek going the top speed for that mini car. Opps, I can get out of the way well with twice the engine and not nearly twice the weight. Please, Motor Bikies and Mini's "slow down you move too fast". Going at your top speed is unsafe. I've never passed 100 and that is about max in the mini's and motorbikes stock versions. (without unsafe vibration)

I agree. I still don't know the top speed on my Airblade scooter as the only clear stretch of road is heading towards Rawai from the Sai Yuan traffic lights. Its uphill and who in their right mind would not slow down once they are approaching the crest of the hill so have no idea what is on the other side?

Anyway, as I've said before, I leave the cars in my dust so it only makes sense for me to get ahead of them at traffic lights. They can catch up and overtake me some time later.

Getting back to the initial topic of bad driving, just yesterday I was driving along Nanai Rd and 2 mature farang gentlemen were on a motor bike in front of me. Then the bike stopped right on the middle of the road. I sort of assumed they were turning into the Kasicorn Bank, but no, the passenger dismounted and they proceeded to have a conversation for some minutes. I waited long enough and then slid up their inside and gave them some verbals, they both looked annoyed at me. What the hell were they thinking .... :annoyed:

Getting back to the initial topic of bad driving, just yesterday I was driving along Nanai Rd and 2 mature farang gentlemen were on a motor bike in front of me. Then the bike stopped right on the middle of the road. I sort of assumed they were turning into the Kasicorn Bank, but no, the passenger dismounted and they proceeded to have a conversation for some minutes. I waited long enough and then slid up their inside and gave them some verbals, they both looked annoyed at me. What the hell were they thinking .... :annoyed:

That there are no rules here, and they can behave exactly as they like...

Farang are far worse IME. They are either tourists (have never driven a 'bike before and somehow believe that as they are on holiday, they are invincible), or have been here too long and are paying no attention at all!

Farang are far worse IME. They are either tourists (have never driven a 'bike before and somehow believe that as they are on holiday, they are invincible), or have been here too long and are paying no attention at all!

yes they are the worst. I have seen a member in this thread today driving with his kid, both without helmets. The man wasn't looking straight ahead very often either. Unfortunately before the internet this country only brought the worst of our society as a majority. Hopefully the new generation of farang expats will clean this rep.

Edited by thaiIand

Motorbikes yes, you're right, cars afaik have 3rd party compulsory. But I'm not 100% sure about that. Would have to check that on the car insurance papers.

cars compulsory is just as worthless as bikes, covers close to nothing and you better have a couple of million baht in account to clean up. the price for a compulsory for a 3,0 fortuna auto 4x4 is 645 baht/year. It goes without saying it cant cover anything, and it should be illegal to call it insurance, and in Thai it is not, its called Por Or Bor

a good additional 3rd party covers

10 x 1 million humans

5 mill propeety

200k baht bailbond

and in Thai its called accident insurance :)

cars compulsory is just as worthless as bikes, covers close to nothing and you better have a couple of million baht in account to clean up. the price for a compulsory for a 3,0 fortuna auto 4x4 is 645 baht/year. It goes without saying it cant cover anything, and it should be illegal to call it insurance, and in Thai it is not, its called Por Or Bor

10 x 1 million humans

5 mill propeety

200k baht bailbond

Thanks for that KBB. That's what I thought. For me the 200k baht bail bond is a must and many drivers don't even consider the bail bond. I wonder how many hire cars have insurance that cover the bail bond.

I disagree, there are certainly bad drivers among farangs but I don't think they are the most dangerous on the roads (except for fortuners drivers and the "Thailand" fellow above). I have yet to see a farang perform the "karma turn" (entering into a road at high speed without looking or caring for oncoming traffic) and the "suicidal overtaking" (in the middle of a curve with no visibility whatsoever), or drive like a maniac slaloming between cars and motorbikes.

I disagree, there are certainly bad drivers among farangs but I don't think they are the most dangerous on the roads (except for fortuners drivers and the "Thailand" fellow above). I have yet to see a farang perform the "karma turn" (entering into a road at high speed without looking or caring for oncoming traffic) and the "suicidal overtaking" (in the middle of a curve with no visibility whatsoever), or drive like a maniac slaloming between cars and motorbikes.

I have seen the so called slaloming and suicidal antics once, they were indeed falang's !! from the big grins on there faces they were having a ball !!!

10 x 1 million humans

5 mill propeety

200k baht bailbond

Thanks for that KBB. That's what I thought. For me the 200k baht bail bond is a must and many drivers don't even consider the bail bond. I wonder how many hire cars have insurance that cover the bail bond.

most rental cars do not have Insurance at all, except for compulsory of course. Why would they, farang pay accident anyway :)

You want Insurance, go with AVIS, Budget, Thai Rent a Car or any of the other major players

I have seen a member in this thread today driving with his kid, both without helmets. The man wasn't looking straight ahead very often either.

Well, it wasnt me, this time :whistling: . But I must admit I love riding without a helmet, and my kid does not use a helmet if we go the 1km from our home to the beach.

helmet can only save your scull or reduce a head injury. Beeing run over by a fortuna or jazz, that would be my last concern. Not much left anyway

and it was actually hard to find a crash tested good quality helmet for my 4 year old. the usual eggshells are useless

I have seen a member in this thread today driving with his kid, both without helmets. The man wasn't looking straight ahead very often either.

Well, it wasnt me, this time :whistling: . But I must admit I love riding without a helmet, and my kid does not use a helmet if we go the 1km from our home to the beach.

helmet can only save your scull or reduce a head injury. Beeing run over by a fortuna or jazz, that would be my last concern. Not much left anyway

and it was actually hard to find a crash tested good quality helmet for my 4 year old. the usual eggshells are useless

better than nothing ona slow fall, i dont drive 10meter without putting the helmet on the kid.

its also a stupid not to set a good example on kids, dont wear your helmet once, they'll never wear it by themselves.

Edited by thaiIand

better than nothing ona slow fall, i dont drive 10meter without putting the helmet on the kid.

its also a stupid not to set a good example on kids, dont wear your helmet once, they'll never wear it by themselves.

he loves his helmet, even use it when bicycling around the house. He keeps it in school during daytime, and despite being an upmarket private school, he seems to be the only one using a proper helmet, and get very much positive response on it.

but for practical reasons going to the beach, saltwater and thieves, it stays home on those short trips

however as this is about bad drivers, we r off topic.

No helmet can protect us against a car killer

Good post. I completely agree, especially the part about setting a good example. I would not even think about driving a m/bike for even 10m without a helmet.

I would not even think about driving a m/bike for even 10m without a helmet.

but you are much more exposed to a head injury in your convertible, as I was in my convertibles, but then its allowed to not use a helmet :rolleyes:

You do not fall of a sports car and you can fit a roll bar

but you are much more exposed to a head injury in your convertible, as I was in my convertibles, but then its allowed to not use a helmet :rolleyes:

well thats the exact problem in a convertible, when it flips there is no escape

35 years of bike riding I have been down 3 times. all 3 times I parted with bike before impact, and had no damage to my helmet

in a convertible you sit tight in a seat belt. some come with a rollbar, which increses safety for head slightly. my brother flipped my Golf convertible, both windshield frame and rollbar was left in the ditch.

Havent counted lately, but assume by now 1/3 of the US states have dropped helmet laws for bikers

anyhow, we r off topic, we are discussing how to protect ourself from bad drivers, topic was about bad drivers ;)

well thats the exact problem in a convertible, when it flips there is no escape

35 years of bike riding I have been down 3 times. all 3 times I parted with bike before impact, and had no damage to my helmet

in a convertible you sit tight in a seat belt. some come with a rollbar, which increses safety for head slightly. my brother flipped my Golf convertible, both windshield frame and rollbar was left in the ditch.

Havent counted lately, but assume by now 1/3 of the US states have dropped helmet laws for bikers

anyhow, we r off topic, we are discussing how to protect ourself from bad drivers, topic was about bad drivers ;)

Pretty hard to flip a sports car, the centre of gravity is so low you are almost sitting on the road :)

I never used to wear a helmet because they are so <deleted> in Thailand, then I invested in a good quality semi expensive one and I never fail to wear it.

I think if you spend the money on a good one you will always wear it