Buses To Bangkok From Udon

tommytouch

Am I right in thinking Udon Thani has 2 different bus stations? If so which one has, or is more likely to have buses departing for Bangkok?

More specifically, does anyone know where Chan Tour operates from? (I like their service, especially the live Thai TV channels.)

Thanks for any help.

The name of the company is Nakonchai

ignore this-must be yet another of the multi emptybrained parrots TV likes to collect.

In fact brush all your worries aside and come to grip with reality of Thai life; you do NOt need to know-the friendly tuktuk/samlordriver knows. Simply tell him/her CHAN tour to Krungthep and you will be delivered. Tipically these anxious questions come from people who still think Thaild runs as in OZzieland=no service

excuse me for using this thread for a "related" question :

I need to find a bus from BKK to Wang Sam Mo. There is a bus that leaves the northern terminal at 19:30, but I am looking for the full bus schedule and cannot find it on the internet.

Does anyone have a link to bus schedules for this route or a telephone number to call ?

thanks - Tom

The bus station for busses to Bangkok which is easiest is at the top of Th. Sampan, near the Silver Reef Hotel (which is across the road from the station). You can catch a Tricycle there for 40 baht or so. You can also catch buses from the "New" bus station, though I have never been there and I doubt many other Farang have either, simply because you don't need to.

I can second Chan Tours for being the best service to Bangkok - fewer stops, better quality buses and service. Be sure that if you are not used to Thai bus standards that you request a VIP bus - it will have Air Con, a more comfortable seat, and some refreshments. Advance bookings during non-holiday periods are not essential, nearing in mind that Monday is that marvelous man, the Kings birthday. I believe they leave at least hourly, and the journey should be 10-11 hours if I recall correctly. Buses start about 7am or so.

The bus ticketing office is at the bus station. It is on the far side of the buses, the closest ticketing office (with lots of seats outside) to the buses themselves, but across the bus road from the platforms. They speak English and are nice - they will give you what you ask for, unlike some other companies who may not understand you and you may end up on a standard bus, which is not comfortable for a Farang.

If you want, I have a friend that lives across from the station and can probably help you to book a ticket, she runs the back packers across the road from the station and has been my friend for about 4 years now.

The trip should take

I had a ride with Chan Tours this year. The 2300 hour takeoff from Udon. Should have been in Bangkok around 8am. We were at Moschit 5am! The driver could not understand why I was not happy. Sitting in a doubledecker doing a steady 130kmh through the night is not funny. This included longer stops in Khon Kaen and Korat and brief ones underway.

Not all their drivers are the same. This one was not a very young man either but you dont have to be young to be stupid. Anyway, if you go on any of these VP buses, do bring a sweater or jacket. They supply blankets but a sweater is nice as the AC tends to be close to freezing and cannot be adjusted.

Thanks for all the (helpful) replies.

I arrived from Nongkhai to the bus station just outside of the main town and took the number 6 shared taxi into Udon city center. As stated the Chan Tour ticket office is just across from the the bus terminal, and I managed to get a ticket to Bangkok leaving within the next few hours (B550). I believe Chan's best class of bus is not called VIP but S-Class, and it's what I always go for - personal TV screens with movies, music, games (that didn't work) and live TV. The reclining seats are in a 2/1 formation giving you plenty of room. You also get water, juice and something in a packet that resembles food. The trip took just over 8 hours with (I think) 1 brief stop, although passengers don't leave the bus.

As Tanaka states, no bus company is ever going to be 100% safe, and I've also experienced speedy drivers on a couple of occasions, but from my experience Chan Tour, Nokhonchai Air and The Bus Company (love that name) are all usually good concerning safety, comfort and service. But doing a supposed 9 hour journey in 5 hours....!!!!