NBTC rings changes: Task force to dial down online banking scams

webfact

image.jpeg

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has established a working group to enforce a new policy aimed at preventing online scams targeting mobile banking users. This policy mandates that the name used to register a mobile phone SIM card must match the name of the bank account holder connected to the internet via that SIM card.

This policy had been approved by the NBTC and now, the newly formed team includes representatives from the NBTC, Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), Bank of Thailand, Thai Bankers’ Association, mobile phone network operators, and other relevant state agencies.

The working group will see banks collecting information regarding ID or passport numbers and mobile numbers of individuals who have registered for mobile banking services. According to Police General Nathathorn Prousoontorn, commissioner of the NBTC, this data will then be provided to Amlo in an encoded format for use and sharing with the NBTC.

“The NBTC will manage the mobile banking customer database held by mobile networks and verify whether the users match the individuals registered for the mobile phone number linked to the transaction service.”

Verification results will be sent back to the banks, which will in turn ask their customers to comply with the new rule to continue using mobile banking services. Exceptions will be made in specific cases, such as when individuals use their name to register for mobile banking and phone services on behalf of their young children or elderly parents.

In another announcement, the NBTC revealed that up to 2.13 million SIM cards were cancelled after the deadline for individuals who had registered 101 or more SIM cards to identify themselves in person to the NBTC lapsed yesterday.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of The Star

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-05-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@happysoul

Maybe this helps?

https://business.ais.co.th/special/en/change-owner-to-juristic.html

I just recently changed the registered owner of my AIS sim card from my wife to myself, it was very easy. They only take a picture of your passport and take a picture of yourself and done

You will then receive an SMS with that SIM is registered with the last 4 digits of your ID card

ais_reg.jpg.c98693a9ec2c2e3d13bc6e5e9011edf2.jpg

Edited by MJCM

53 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@happysoul

Maybe this helps?

https://business.ais.co.th/special/en/change-owner-to-juristic.html

I just recently changed the registered owner of my AIS sim card from my wife to myself, it was very easy. They only take a picture of your passport and take a picture of yourself and done

You will then receive an SMS with that SIM is registered with the last 4 digits of your ID card

ais_reg.jpg.c98693a9ec2c2e3d13bc6e5e9011edf2.jpg

Thanks but I'm ok (it's in my name already). I was just wondering how to do for corporates where you have multiple people that need to access the account and no websites but only an app (as SCB for example). They might have some specific corporate accounts to allow multiple persons ?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The working group will see banks collecting information regarding ID or passport numbers and mobile numbers of individuals who have registered for mobile banking services. According to Police General Nathathorn Prousoontorn, commissioner of the NBTC, this data will then be provided to Amlo in an encoded format for use and sharing with the NBTC.

Yet another step on the path to digital dictatorship..

the Panopticon is almost here  for your own safety of course !

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Destined not to work!

Enough problems with facial recognition!

And I use apps AND go on line when app doesn't work (frequently) which doesn't require a SIM.

Visits to my bank are a nightmare with long queues due to so many branches closing!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Destined not to work!

Enough problems with facial recognition!

And I use apps AND go on line when app doesn't work (frequently) which doesn't require a SIM.

Visits to my bank are a nightmare with long queues due to so many branches closing!

It is now with a lot of things, all under the guise of securing and preventing fraud.
But there is only one reason, total control over the population.
Just take the example that banking can no longer be done through the website, only through the app, which is much more susceptible to fraud, and then they now come up with face verification, SIM card veryfication and so on.
It drives you crazy, (at least I do).

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1