Newbie 'Teacher' A Few Questions Please :)

chonabot

Hi All :)

Well this is my first post in this Forum ( I think ) although I used to be a mod/admin some years ago - so please be gentle with me :)

I've decided to settle in Isaan with my family and really want to dedicate the rest of my working life to Teaching English.

I'm 46 and have the following qualifications / experience : -

1. BA ( Open University )

2. Diploma in English Language Studies ( OU )

3. TEFL Diploma ( BSY)

4. Worked in India for Pepsico as Language trainer for Technical IT helpdesk.

Essentially I would like to obtain a job as a teacher in a local school, plus I have been inundated with requests to teach privately.

I have also been asked to work as a volunteer a few hours a week at the local primary school.

I realise that any work requires a work permit to be legal so will not be doing any volunteer/private teaching yet.

Looking on here and Ajarn.com I see there are a large number of TEFL courses available but only one within a commutable distance - Text and Talk in Kohn Kaen.

My TEFL diploma was via a distance learning organisation and to be honest was pretty generic.

So are the TEFL course available pretty similar in quality and ethics?

I guess they all offer classroom exposure and as such will be invaluable - but as the costs seem to differ , I am wondering if the quality also varies?

I would like to hear your opinions based on experience regarding the available TEFL courses offered please ?

This is a great forum and most of my questions have already been asnwered via the search facility - but I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Cheers

Chon :)

Because I have no Classroom experience - I have taught non-native speakers on a 1-2-1 basis up to now.

I was also under the impression the course would also give me exposure to the relevant syllabus material required to teach in

Thai schools.

Edited by chonabot

I teach in Petchaburi and completed a TEFL course in the UK. Whilst it was useful in parts, one thing I will say is that nothing can really prepare you for that first lesson in a real classroom.

I know people who have completed CELTA or other expensive TEFL courses who have completely froze in their first lesson.

It's a bit of catch 22 situation but if you want classroom experience the best way is to just get stuck in and get teaching, in my opinion. It's like with anything, the best way to get experience in something is to just get out there and do it.

As for a syllabus, I've taught at two schools in Petchaburi - one had no materials, no syllabus, nothing. I had to do it all myself with no help whatsoever.

The school I am currently teaching at provide all materials, workbooks etc, so I guess it just varies from school to school.

With regards to doing things legally, my current school has a number of farang teachers and the majority teach WITHOUT having a degree, some haven't even got a TEFL. The school just turns a blind eye as they are desperate for foreign teachers.

If there are opportunities around for you to teach then I would suggest you take them. Volunteering could be a great way for you to get some classroom experience.

I teach in Petchaburi and completed a TEFL course in the UK. Whilst it was useful in parts, one thing I will say is that nothing can really prepare you for that first lesson in a real classroom.

I know people who have completed CELTA or other expensive TEFL courses who have completely froze in their first lesson.

It's a bit of catch 22 situation but if you want classroom experience the best way is to just get stuck in and get teaching, in my opinion. It's like with anything, the best way to get experience in something is to just get out there and do it.

As for a syllabus, I've taught at two schools in Petchaburi - one had no materials, no syllabus, nothing. I had to do it all myself with no help whatsoever.

The school I am currently teaching at provide all materials, workbooks etc, so I guess it just varies from school to school.

With regards to doing things legally, my current school has a number of farang teachers and the majority teach WITHOUT having a degree, some haven't even got a TEFL. The school just turns a blind eye as they are desperate for foreign teachers.

If there are opportunities around for you to teach then I would suggest you take them. Volunteering could be a great way for you to get some classroom experience.

Ah I wasn't sure about the materials - that is something I will speak to the 'volunteer' school about - Thanks :)

I take your point regarding the classroom experience - if I dive in and gets some volunteer experience will I be okay regarding the lack of work permit ?

Do not get caught.

Immigration and the Ministry of Labour used to do raids, but not heard anything about them for a long time.

Duly noted - Thanks :)

Schools mostly have contacts in either offices who will inform them before a raid, so you might get a call in the morning one day, saying do not come to school today. Years ago I watched teachers jumping over walls to hide from the MofL officers and the Immigration lot.

We should exercise care in discussing ways to break the law.

That said, the raids by immigration were primarily in the larger cities, not in the rural areas. In rural areas, however, a lot of people know about the circumstances of your stay in Thailand. Thus any questionable behavior is more likely to be known--and if someone has a grudge, pretty easy to put you in the do-do.

So exercise the utmost care with regard to the legal situation.

You have worked as a language trainer, so that is teaching experience, I would think. You have a TEFL, so taking it again would be of little use, unless you think you need it.

Best of luck and keep us up to date.

I doubt you're working at one of the many government or private schools in Phetchaburi. I guess you're working for the one and only agency with a very notorious reputation. It's your and your colleagues' choice to work on a tourist visa or visa exemption and without a valid work permit. Your experience in Phetchaburi is not a reference for any of the educational institutions there. Therefore, you shouldn't have mentioned your narrow experience.

Edited by aidenai

I doubt you're working at one of the many government or private schools in Phetchaburi. I guess you're working for the one and only agency with a very notorious reputation. It's your and your colleagues' choice to work on a tourist visa or visa exemption and without a valid work permit. Your experience in Phetchaburi is not a reference for any of the educational institutions there. Therefore, you shouldn't have mentioned your narrow experience.

Apologies, I wasn't making myself clear. I'm working completely legally in Thailand. However, I was merely trying to make the point that plenty of others are not and if the OP has the opportunity to teach 'illegally' then he wouldn't be the only one doing that sort of thing.

I am all too aware of the the agency you make reference too and thankfully I have had absolutely nothing to do with them.

Having had a look at the multitude of TEFL courses around I think I will do a 2 week course with TEFL Plus.

The first week is a condensed course and the second is totally classroom experience based.

Hopefully my past experience and TEFl will combine with this and result in me being somewhat prepared for Thai classrooms.

I will report back when I have some news - if anyone would like to comment on this choice, please do :)

Apologies, I wasn't making myself clear. I'm working completely legally in Thailand. However, I was merely trying to make the point that plenty of others are not and if the OP has the opportunity to teach 'illegally' then he wouldn't be the only one doing that sort of thing.

I am all too aware of the the agency you make reference too and thankfully I have had absolutely nothing to do with them.

Apologise for misreading your reply. jap.gif