Your Top 5 Bars

5: LARRY'S DIVE - SOI 22

One of the best places to meet friends in a not-too-loud atmosphere and eat Mexican style food in unique surroundings... Then there's the dentist chair on the beach, the beach which has now sadly gone - pushing Larry's to bottom place.

4: TAI PAN - PATONG - PHUKET

Great place to go out with the boys, meet girls, and see live music and perform too if you have the guts.

Cavernous and modern with lots of attitude, nights out can be tough on the wallet though.

3: ROCKY BAR - SOI HIN TAI/HIN YAI - LAMAI - SAMUI

Owned by my best Thai friend Noy, a jewellry maker who runs, as well as her shop - the cafe next door and the tiny Rocky Bar opposite.

Possibly the smallest bar in Thailand but one of the most welcoming and one where you will feel part of the family as well as the huge granite rock in which it is embedded.

An impressive hat-trick considering she had a small shack when I first met her in 2002.

2: VERTIGO BAR - BANYAN TREE HOTEL - BANGKOK

This is THE place to drink in Bangkok and gives one of the best views of the cityscape available.

It is not cheap but it's worth going if you want to impress visitors or ideal if on a date.

Best time of day to go is just before sunset.

I have spotted actress Kathrine Keener and cricketer Ian Botham in Vertigo before among the usually packed rooftop of japanese buisinessmen and wealthy expats.

1: BIG DOGS BAR - SOI 4 - BANGKOK

Big Dogs is on the corner of Nana Plaza, just after Morning Night Bar and that minimart and is the nicest bar in Nana.

The girls don't give you any hassle and I've always ended up having great conversations with both the girls and the punters.

It's the best 'daytime' bar I know of and the best time to go is between 11am and 7pm.

It is also the only bar I've been to where I've been bought drinks by the girls as a genuine gesture of friendship, and that is not easy to find in Thailand.

Respect and yee shall be respected.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great conversations with both the girls and the punters.

I've been bought drinks by the girls as a genuine gesture of friendship, and that is not easy to find in Thailand.

Come on man, be F**kin serious.

I have known them a while Pat and used to help them with any English queries.

Not everything has an alterior motive.

I've been bought drinks by the girls as a genuine gesture of friendship, and that is not easy to find in Thailand.

Sounds like an ulterior motive to me, They buy you drinks occasionally, you do the free translation. A genuine gesture of friendship would be if they bought you drinks without you having done anything for them previously.

LOL, genuine gesture of friendship, LOL I have now heard everything. LOL

Never translated multiple love e-mails, just stuff from books and yes, the odd text message from Sweden. :o

However, that was a year and a half ago - nowadays I don't do anything in return except make the place look a little busier.

If you believe that there is no good whatsoever in daytime bargirls then you will never find any.

Scampy - think you should be buying them drinks not the other way around. As for Big Dogs - some ting tong girls in that place. :o (me and my mate weren't left alone to drink our changs in peace - one crazy bird kept saying I'd been there last week and was married - However I was in Koh Samet and def not married) I generally liked the place, but so annoyed me havent been back since.

bars change, girls move on, pretty worthless topic really...but if i have to choose, the hard rock bkk listening to telefon band whilst supping a long island aint half bad and sat at the savoey bar in patong chatting to different passers by and watching the ladies go to work on motorbikes at dusk is also worthy of a mention..

:o

The Offshore Bar in Soi 23.

If you are feeling depressed just go there and observe the other punters for 5 minutes and......instant cure ...you will immediately feel better. :o

Ain't it great to be one step away from the morgue? :D

:D  :D  :D

Sorry to Butt-in, :D 

but, what happened to Bus Stop on Soi 4,  :D

not there any more  :D ?

or has it been moved elsewhere. :D

Cookie did some great food there.  :o

Bus stop has been pur-chased by Hilary owners, think they're planning something big, heard it's gonna be a hotel. Shame really, was a nice place.

My top 5 in no particular order.

FCCC in Phnom Penh

Very atmosperic place with great views over the Bassac and Mekhong rivers.

Lek Bar on Pattaya Soi 7.

A great no hassle place with some great music. A safe place to watch the passing circus from.

Big Dogs, Lucky Lukes and Morning Night in Nana (counts as one choice).

Now that BKK has had its Beer bars purged, these are the last remaining few great people watching spots left. Big Dogs is the best of them simply for the fact that there seems to be so much more action at that junction than anywhere else.

Lang Suan bar in Chanthaburi.

A unique place in Chanthaburi which is a fave with local yuppies and is a nice mix of Thai and Western themes. They serve strong 60B cocktails, and have a good inventive menu. Inside is A/C and a little sterile, outside is nice and pleasant.

TQ2 in Pattaya.

Best music in any bar in Thailand!

My top 5 in no particular order.

FCCC in Phnom Penh

Very atmosperic place with great views over the Bassac and Mekhong rivers.

Very good! Also one of my favourites. One of the very few 'old world' atmospheres still desperately clinging onto life.

Not sure about bars in Bangkok. I guess O'Riellys is the only place I ever frequent regularly.

I went to that Thaitanium vodka bar the other night. I went to the cold room expecting ice shelfs and decorations and a large selection of vodka.

They had a frozen counter, tiny frozen shelf and only absolut and finlandier vodka in a tiny room. Crap it was. :o

I checked out Larrys Dive as well, odd bar, average enchiladas, no beach, pretty crap I would say, first and last visit.

Hilary's is good for a game of pool, some decent players there. On top of that I like suam luam (spel?) for a few beers.

I went to that Thaitanium vodka bar the other night.  I went to the cold room expecting ice shelfs and decorations and a large selection of vodka. 

They had a frozen counter, tiny frozen shelf and only absolut and finlandier vodka in a tiny room.  Crap it was.  :o

Dunno had about 20-30 diff bottles when we went there. Great laff seeing Thai ladies in the freezer though! Bit dear, but alright for a visit. :D Did you catch the all girl Thai band? (they kick arse)

I went to that Thaitanium vodka bar the other night.  I went to the cold room expecting ice shelfs and decorations and a large selection of vodka. 

They had a frozen counter, tiny frozen shelf and only absolut and finlandier vodka in a tiny room.  Crap it was.  :o

Dunno had about 20-30 diff bottles when we went there. Great laff seeing Thai ladies in the freezer though! Bit dear, but alright for a visit. :D Did you catch the all girl Thai band? (they kick arse)

Nah, went Sunday night, instead they had a DJ playing some tunes since I haven't heard since I was a kid at a family wedding. :D

Only popped in for a drink to see what all the fuss was about, dissapointing really. I give the bar a year tops before its gone.