Woody Guthrie Cds/cassettes

Loaded

Having grown up in a London suburb during the 70s, I had never come across the music of Woody Guthrie before. I watched a UBC movie a few weeks ago about his life and recently read about another movie/documentary voiced over by Billy Bragg.

He played music about and during the American depression. I loved the music I heard in the movie and respect the way he led his life.

So, does anyone know where I could buy in CM CDs or cassettes of his music?

thanks

Having grown up in a London suburb during the 70s, I had never come across the music of Woody Guthrie before. I watched a UBC movie a few weeks ago about his life and recently read about another movie/documentary voiced over by Billy Bragg.

He played music about and during the American depression. I loved the music I heard  in the movie and respect the way he led his life.

thanks

My dad has always loved Woody Guthrie. Now that I'm in my 30's and had a bit of experience with life, I find I really like his music also. Bruce Springsteen does some amazing Guthrie covers if you ever get a chance to hear them.

No idea where you'd find them in Thailand. I'll be back in CM around April next year. If you can't find any, PM me before then and I could burn some of ours for you mate. :o

Check the central area around Mcdonalds intersection in the night bizarre... The shops around there sell off of 'books', made up of photos of the album covers. I've bought quite a few 60's CD's (including his son, Arlo), seen some 50's, but not much stuff from before that. Very large selection of unusual stuff, I'd say.

Oh, and they were 80 baht each.

Edited by Ajarn

you also might be able to find an album called 'mermaid avenue' made by bragg and a band called 'wilco' . they unearthed some unpublished guthrie lyrics and put them to music.

here's a link to an audio file on how the project came together.....

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1025576

and here's an amazon link for the album cover (which might help you come across it)....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...647169?v=glance

enjoy.

Failing the above. Do a search on Amazon and note the Woody Guthrie albums available, with reference numbers etc. Then go to Neo Entertainment Gallery on the top floor of Airport Plaza. They are able to get most CDs and DVDs to order from overseas. Normally end up much cheaper than Amazon too, (especially if P&P is taken into account!)

Failing the above. Do a search on Amazon and note the Woody Guthrie albums available, with reference numbers etc. Then go to Neo Entertainment Gallery on the top floor of Airport Plaza. They are able to get most CDs and DVDs to order from overseas. Normally end up much cheaper than Amazon too, (especially if P&P is taken into account!)

Nice tip, p1p. Which reference numbers do you mean, the Amazon item number?

The main source for Woody’s records, I doubt if you can find much here in BKK, is Folkways Records: www.folkways.si.edu/ .

You might also want to check out music by Woody’s friends,--Pete Seeger, Odetta, Leadbelly, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, & Ramblin’ Jack Elliot.

I have a sizeable music collection here, but alas, no Woody.

Have you read John Steinbeck’s ’THE GRAPES OF WRATH’? It’s a wonderful book about the Okie migration to California. Woody’s ‘Ballad of Tom Joad’ was based on the story as was Springsteen’s song and album name, ‘The Ghost of Tom Joad’. It was made into a movie starring Henry Fonda as Tom.

I’m always happy to respond to anyone interested in this era, music, and politics.

Let’s get together and form a Union.

If you like Woody Guthrie check out his son Arlo Guthrie and then the natural progression to Steve Goodman. Or to stay with Woody’s generation. Blind Lemon Johnson, Leadbelly, and of course can’t forget the Weavers and Pete Seeger. I come away from the whole experience really liking John Prine. Also the sound track of “O brother where art thou” 2000. Is a must listen to if you like Woody

He played music about and during the American depression. I loved the music I heard  in the movie and respect the way he led his life.

thanks

Why don`t you download them for free.

If you have broadband 1 Cd in about an hour :o