Warning: Emporium Christmas Tree Lights

negreanu

Just a word of caution to those considering the christmas tree lights they have for sale in the emporium department store (and i am assuming paragon). Got a box home yesterday opened it heat shrink tubing missing exposing bare wires within mm of each other on many of the lights. Bad soldering on the lights bare wires exposed throughout the set at connection points etc.

Even the box states on the back to prevent fire make sure no wires are exposed or insulation damaged as well as numerous other warnings about short circuits and fire risks!!

We all know how dangerous christmas tree lights and fires can be every year and this so called quality department store is selling this chinese produced fire hazard for 1000+THB.

These death traps could seriously ruin a families christmas, going back to today to read the department store manager the riot act might even throw section 24 of the thailand consumer act at them over this one.

Totally disgusted at a so called quality department store endangering peoples life with this crap.

Edited by negreanu

There's a little shop on the corner next to Asia Books that's been there for yonks where you could have gotten the same thing most likley cheaper.

I always want a discount when I am buying death traps

Looking on the, umm, bright side you could get a couple of good books while you're there. Nothing like reading a good book by the fireplace on Xmas eve. :rolleyes:

There's a little shop on the corner next to Asia Books that's been there for yonks where you could have gotten the same thing most likley cheaper.

Indeed you over-paid by a long shot. The same thing sells for about 199 THB at most shops. Why is this news? This is Thailand. Very typical. Maybe not the place for you?

I might add that I too, bought Christmas lights about 2 years ago (on sale 100 Baht). When I opened them they were in the same state as your 1000 THB purchase. Solution: wrap some electrical tape around the wires where the insulation is missing. I even replaced the plug with a sturdy, safe one. Problem solved.

Edited by elektrified