Origin Of "Pai Leuy" ไปเลย "Go Away"

chrissables

I have a friend who says the phrase "pai leuy" "go away" come from the name of the city of Loi. As in in the past it was a place where you really would not want to go to because it was so isolated.

Anyone know if this has any truth in it?

ไปเลย "leuy" is used to emphasize sentences, so i am not sure, but interested to know

Chris

As we live not far from Loei, we often joke with friends when they ask where we're going......ไปเลย. But as I understand the true meaning, when you tell someone to ไปเลย, you're in effect telling them to get out of Dodge. When you kick a piece of roadkill to see if it's still alive, and it's not, you might say, ตายเลย....as in, "it's really dead!".

Take a look at http://www.thai-language.com/id/5159 for a list of other points of emphasis.

As we live not far from Loei, we often joke with friends when they ask where we're going......ไปเลย. But as I understand the true meaning, when you tell someone to ไปเลย, you're in effect telling them to get out of Dodge. When you kick a piece of roadkill to see if it's still alive, and it's not, you might say, ตายเลย....as in, "it's really dead!".

Take a look at http://www.thai-language.com/id/5159 for a list of other points of emphasis.

Cheers,

When my friend told me this, i did not believe it because of the other uses of "leuy" But he is so strong willed, i wanted to ask and get feed back prior to talking with him!

Close but not quite.

When you add the word "loey" on the end of a sentence it makes your statement more emphatic.

"Tai loey" = "it died" . . . something you might say if you had some hope that it perhaps survived. "it's really dead!" = "tai jing jing duay". Another example : "I didn't put the cap back on the coke bottle tightly enough. Now it's hai saa mod loey (fizziness all gone)

"Pai loey" = "go!" / "get out of here!" / "go ahead!"

"Gin hai mod-mod loey!" = "may as well finish it all up!" as opposed to "gin hai mod" (finish it up).

"Dai loey" = "sure!" / "of course you can (have it/do it)"! . . . . as opposed to a simple "dai" (can).

You get the idea . . .

Note : in Isan (to which Loey province belongs) they say "lod" instead of "loey".

jap.gif

Edited by Trembly

Close but not quite.

When you add the word "loey" on the end of a sentence it makes your statement more emphatic.

"Tai loey" = "it died" . . . something you might say if you had some hope that it perhaps survived. "it's really dead!" = "tai jing jing duay". Another example : "I didn't put the cap back on the coke bottle tightly enough. Now it's hai saa mod loey (fizziness all gone)

"Gin hai mod-mod loey!" = "may as well finish it all up!" as opposed to "gin hai mod" (finish it up).

"Dai loey" = "sure!" / "of course you can (have it/do it)"! . . . . as opposed to a simple "dai" (can).

You get the idea . . .

Yes.

Also as in 'jang-loey' = very.

Geng jang-loey = VERY clever.

Close but not quite.

You get the idea . . .

Note : in Isan (to which Loey province belongs) they say "lod" instead of "loey".

jap.gif

Thanks for all the advise, so can i take it that the phrase "pai leuy" ไปเลย, has nothing to do with the name of the city, it's just a coincidence? My friend was quite insistent it was, so i like to get my facts right!

Close but not quite.

You get the idea . . .

jap.gif

Thanks for all the advise, so can i take it that the phrase "pai leuy" ไปเลย, has nothing to do with the name of the city, it's just a coincidence? My friend was quite insistent it was, so i like to get my facts right!

As a piece of verbal slapstick, Pai Loey (going to Loey) most definitely refers to the city, but the fact that they substitute "loey" for "lod" in Isan (for example "pai lod" = "let's go!" etc) in Isan rather makes me doubt that it is referring to the city in normal usage. I think your friend is either having you on or is having himself on without even realising it. :lol:

Edited by Trembly

Close but not quite.

You get the idea . . .

jap.gif

As a piece of verbal slapstick, Pai Loey (going to Loey) most definitely refers to the city, but the fact that they substitute "loey" for "lod" in Isan (for example "pai lod" = "let's go!" etc) in Isan rather makes me doubt that it is referring to the city in normal usage. I think your friend is either having you on or is having himself on without even realising it. :lol:

Cheers! I will pull him on it!