International Atm Withdrawal Problems Today

I tried to use my UK Halifax card to withdraw this morning but got a 'communications error' message, I know how much I've got in there and there was sufficient funds so that can't be the problem, I tried a few other banks ATM's so it wasn't a problem exclusive to the first bank I tried bank, I called my bank and they said there wasn't a problem their end with security blocks etc, so I am assuming all of us foreigners are having this problem?? I've since tried 2 more times at various banks and I'm still getting the same kind of message from all different ATM's

Anybody else? :ermm:

There were certainly some problems with the banking network here in the UK yesterday, the HSBC internet service was down (they reported problems at the weekend but claimed all were fixed) - seems to be OK now locally.

Problems also affected ATMs locally.

Edited by niveknedwob

There were certainly some problems with the banking network here in the UK yesterday, the HSBC internet service was down (they reported problems at the weekend but claimed all were fixed) - seems to be OK now locally.

Problems also affected ATMs locally.

Thanks for your reply, that may be it, I hope it's all better tomorrow!

Nationwide Uk cards had the same problem in Thailand yesterday, not sure about today but i'll find out later :angry:

I withdrew money from my Nationwide account yesterday from an Aeon atm in Big C, Chiang Mai and had no problems. I have had problems withdrawing money in the past but was okay the next day. Maybe be just a problem with the internet servers

Just had a fruitless phone conversation with a Bangkok Bank Customer service rep who put me on hold whilst he contacted the 'ATM operator' who said all ATM's were working 'regularly', so as I suspected, we all just have to sit around and wait for someone to pull their finger out whilst our businesses suffer, thanks Thailand! :blink:

Had the same problems here in Phetchabun this morning,couldn't withdraw on UK card at all,thought it was maybe Barclays fraud department again,as when I return home even after telling them that I am back in Thailand I normally have problems.

Just had a fruitless phone conversation with a Bangkok Bank Customer service rep who put me on hold whilst he contacted the 'ATM operator' who said all ATM's were working 'regularly', so as I suspected, we all just have to sit around and wait for someone to pull their finger out whilst our businesses suffer, thanks Thailand! :blink:

If you care to PM me I will give you my work email address and I can erndeavor to find an answer for you

Dave

I don't have much call to use my Nationwide Flex Account ATM card in Thailand, but when i do, i almost always get this message. I walk around the block, try again, still the same, walk around block again, try different ATM, same result, go for another walk, then perhaps on third or fourth try it works. Other times it doesn't, and i have to try the following day. Get there in the end, but it is a pain. No idea what is behind it - whether it is a problem this end, or a problem in the UK.

Thursday in Pattaya and international ATM withdrawals are down a second day here.

US based account (eTrade) Visa/PLUS/Interlink also Credit Union account Pulse/Cirrus/Jeanie.

All down for Kasikorn, Siam Commercial, KrungSri, etc.

Went into Kasikorn. They said they could do a withdrawal with a passport but were also unable.

Running low on cash and looking for options.

On the basis of other reports that Aeon was working I went to Big C looking for an Aeon ATM but found a Krungthai bank ATM able to dispense cash. The exchange rate was crap. Specifically it was the counter rate and not Visa's rate but at this juncture I needed the infusion.

Still not sure if they're all up again or only a few.

On the basis of other reports that Aeon was working I went to Big C looking for an Aeon ATM but found a Krungthai bank ATM able to dispense cash. The exchange rate was crap. Specifically it was the counter rate and not Visa's rate but at this juncture I needed the infusion.

Still not sure if they're all up again or only a few.

i usually use this website http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx and check rates of all the major thai banks. I found that after doing reverse calculations, Aeon beat the other banks by about 10 satang again yesterday. Sorry you guys are having problems with withdrawal. i will ask a few people.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone having problems today - have just tried 6 different banks and no luck. I am using a Nationwide card, have funds in the bank. This is the fourth time in the past 3 months I've had this problem. I've called the helpline number for overseas customers 3 times in the past but always been told the same thing - all is fine this end and no reason why I can't withdraw the cash. Down to 100baht and this is really doing my nut in. I never had this problem when I was using my Nationwide account here a few years ago - also wasn't charged by them or the Thai banks for the privilege of doing so.

Anyone having problems today - have just tried 6 different banks and no luck. I am using a Nationwide card, have funds in the bank. This is the fourth time in the past 3 months I've had this problem. I've called the helpline number for overseas customers 3 times in the past but always been told the same thing - all is fine this end and no reason why I can't withdraw the cash. Down to 100baht and this is really doing my nut in. I never had this problem when I was using my Nationwide account here a few years ago - also wasn't charged by them or the Thai banks for the privilege of doing so.

As i have already said in this thread, my experience is always this way. The only advice i can give is be patient, and try again tomorrow - assuming of course your funds will last. By the sounds of it, perhaps they won't. Hope you have a friend or two who can tide you over. Good luck.

I withdrew money from my Nationwide account today using an Aeon Atm at 11.15 am and no problem. This was at Big C,Chiang Mai

In my six years here this is a regular occurrence with Nationwide even though my registered address is here! The solution I found is to avoid the ATM s and go into the Thai bank with card and passport and do a counter withdrawal. I use the Bangkok Bank and never had any problems , on one occasion I used the Kasicorn and was limited to 20,000 baht by them but that was fine.

In my six years here this is a regular occurrence with Nationwide even though my registered address is here! The solution I found is to avoid the ATM s and go into the Thai bank with card and passport and do a counter withdrawal. I use the Bangkok Bank and never had any problems , on one occasion I used the Kasicorn and was limited to 20,000 baht by them but that was fine.

I always thought the limit was 300 pounds ie about 15,000 baht. Or is that just when using the ATM? Or is it dependant on your individual arrangement with the UK bank?

I withdrew money from my Nationwide account today using an Aeon Atm at 11.15 am and no problem. This was at Big C,Chiang Mai

Hi Techno, is the Big C the one nearish the train station? I may have to drive down there. If not I'll go into a bank with my card and passport first thing 2moro as rixalex advises. Just don't understand why this is happening so often now - but evidently I'm not alone.