Chiangmai To Chiangrai

peter fleck

A friend of mine is currently staying in Chiangmai and today went to Chiangrai. I was there 2 years ago and i know it takes around 3 hours to drive between the 2 cities. My friend said that today she did the journey in one hour. We were speaking in Thai and whilst my Thai is quite good I could not understand what she was saying. It sounded like she was saying something like she travelled by ha deng??? She did not go by air, so how did she go?

As far as I am aware there are only 2 ways to travel between the 2 cities, by road or air.

As I live in Phuket and was only in Chiangmai 2 years ago for a short visit I am not an expert. Can someone help me?

I appreeciate it.

By the way, it is a beautiful city. Really enjoyed it and would love to go back again one day.

A friend of mine is currently staying in Chiangmai and today went to Chiangrai. I was there 2 years ago and i know it takes around 3 hours to drive between the 2 cities. My friend said that today she did the journey in one hour. We were speaking in Thai and whilst my Thai is quite good I could not understand what she was saying. It sounded like she was saying something like she travelled by ha deng??? She did not go by air, so how did she go?

As far as I am aware there are only 2 ways to travel between the 2 cities, by road or air.

As I live in Phuket and was only in Chiangmai 2 years ago for a short visit I am not an expert. Can someone help me?

I appreeciate it.

By the way, it is a beautiful city. Really enjoyed it and would love to go back again one day.

i know it takes around 3 hours to drive between the 2 cities. My friend said that today she did the journey in one hour.

i checked the transport company's schedule and found that it takes 10 hours for bkk-chiangmai, and 11 hrs for bkk-chiangrai. the diff is 1 hr.

granted, this is not a direct chiangmai-chiangrai route/time. but it seems to be a fair ballpark figure that 1-2hr seems reasonable.

i happened to talked to a thai lady yesterday, who said when she travelled bkk-korat, it took her bf 40min. to get there. i never heard anyone got to korat from bkk in such a short time. she said what he did was drove really fast and prepared money for the hiway police. :o

maybe your friend has a fast-driving bf like in the case above! :D

i know it takes around 3 hours to drive between the 2 cities. My friend said that today she did the journey in one hour.

i checked the transport company's schedule and found that it takes 10 hours for bkk-chiangmai, and 11 hrs for bkk-chiangrai. the diff is 1 hr.

granted, this is not a direct chiangmai-chiangrai route/time. but it seems to be a fair ballpark figure that 1-2hr seems reasonable.

i happened to talked to a thai lady yesterday, who said when she travelled bkk-korat, it took her bf 40min. to get there. i never heard anyone got to korat from bkk in such a short time. she said what he did was drove really fast and prepared money for the hiway police. :o

maybe your friend has a fast-driving bf like in the case above! :D

What is BKK-Korat, 250-300km? In 40 minutes? I don't think so.

I appreeciate it.

The most direct route from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is 187 kms via Doi Saket and Wieng Papao. Best I've done it on the old ZZR is about 1 hour 20 mins and that was with some encouragement by David Lek on his Ducati 851. Impossible to do it in 1 hour.

If travelling by road from Bangkok to Chiang Rai the most direct route is from Lampang to Chiang Rai via Payao not Chiang Mai, shorter distance and a much faster road.

I appreeciate it.

Maybe you were talking about Muang Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, while she was talking about Cangwat Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai.

> Maybe you were talking about Muang Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, while she was talking

> about Cangwat Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai.

Then I can do it in 1 minute, starting 100 meters before the provincial border to 100 meters after it. Dont need no Ducatio ZZR either. :o

Seriously, I guess Mae Khachan is already in Chiang Rai.. You can do that easily from Chiang Mai (city) in one hour.