Ikea Thailand

givenall

After navigating kind a crazy road finally arrived at IKEA and spent hour or so there. I was very disappointed in the stuff they have,. its' lower quality than I expected when I compare to US IKEA.

Also the food was so so

Edited by Rimmer

I thought the stuff was the same at all the Ikeas around the world , why would Thailand be any different ? and the road is fine if you know the area, never tried the food yet , the restaurant has always been too packed !

Ditto. Ikea all over the world carries the same products whatever you seen in US will be same same Thailand.

As for the food it's pretty standard Swedish food.

I was in my very first Ikea store in Atlanta, Georgia last week while I was visiting my daughter. I was also quite shocked that nearly everything I saw was made in China. :realangry: Not sure if the Swedish Meatballs came from China too, but I wouldn't be surprised :whistling:

Edited by cougar52

I was in my very first Ikea store in Atlanta, Georgia last week while I was visiting my daughter. I was also quite shocked that nearly everything I saw was made in China. :realangry: Not sure if the Swedish Meatballs came from China too, but I wouldn't be surprised :whistling:

No Sir, the Chinese have their own meatballs. :jap:

In that case you likely have never been into a Walmart?

2. but; you cannot have seen more as 25%. Did you realise that China hardly produces any wood/furniture? THAT-and thats the main part of what IKEA sells- comes now mainly from- what a wonder- RUSSIA. In exchange they promised to build a few IKEA-shops there-and got mangled in corruption accusations in the usual Russian nightmare of burocrazyness. And had to apologize later on that the so clean Svenskarna got involved.

I thought the stuff was the same at all the Ikeas around the world , why would Thailand be any different ? and the road is fine if you know the area, never tried the food yet , the restaurant has always been too packed !

Ditto. Ikea all over the world carries the same products whatever you seen in US will be same same Thailand.

As for the food it's pretty standard Swedish food.

Well EVERY such store carries products that cater to the local tastes even within the same stores within regions so that's a stretch to say that. I found a decent selection but it took me several hours so it stands to reason if he went through that store in only an hour and had a meal to boot then he took the express route and didn't really do a very thorough evaluation..

I agree on the food aspect though. I treated my boys to Swedish meatballs for the first time (or so I thought) and they were well disappointing from the ones I used to get at our local Smorgasbord back home.. They need to stew in the gravy and not just get heated and then gravy added when served.

Visited for the first time yesterday.

Very difficult to find - the road signs are totally inadequate, as is the map on the Ikea website. What should have been a 15 minute drive for me took an extra hour, what with various U-turns and missed expressway exits.

Tried the meatballs in the restaurant. Absolutely vile. The balls are more filler than meat and have an unpleasant rubbery texture. The potatoes were lukewarm at best. The sauce tasted of nothing but salt and hydrolysed vegetable protein. And the blob of jam on the side seemed totally out of place. The Asian-style chicken on rice was also disgusting.

I was also surprised by the lack of gay couples wandering around. Nothing like Ikea in the UK or KL.

• Like 2

I was just there the other day. The stuff is the same as all over the world and the meatballs and smoke salmon tasted fine. OP's post is nonsense.

Went there Saturday.Caught the shuttle bus from Udomsuk BTS.Its quite a way even on the shuttle.Felt that things like chairs were certainly not up to those sold in other countries eg Australia.Alot of them looked like the flimsy Thai stuff you can get here anyway.The prices though did reflect the inferior quality.The calico-like fitted sheets were overpriced and looked like rags and the restaurant was so crowded that I went for the 15 baht hotdog downstairs.

Ikea's are not the same all over the world, they will adjust to local taste. They will buy local made stuff, which they only will sell in Thailand (and/or Asia).

They are masters in displaying and advertising their furnitures & fixtures. But their buyers all over the world will buy only the cheapest things, which will generate the highest profits. All the decent and quality furniture you will not find in any Ikea. They know how to play the public and concentrate on impulsive buyers (mostly women and children).

Ikea's are not the same all over the world, they will adjust to local taste. They will buy local made stuff, which they only will sell in Thailand (and/or Asia).

They are masters in displaying and advertising their furnitures & fixtures. But their buyers all over the world will buy only the cheapest things, which will generate the highest profits. All the decent and quality furniture you will not find in any Ikea. They know how to play the public and concentrate on impulsive buyers (mostly women and children).

Don't Ikea design their own products and manufacture them according to their specifications.

You mean they go around hunting cheap products and just resell them at their store ?

Don't Ikea design their own products and manufacture them according to their specifications.

You mean they go around hunting cheap products and just resell them at their store ?

Pretty much all such stores do that but in this case they mix it with some imports of course but it's certain many products are sourced locally and also carry local flavor.

IKEA like many manufacturers may design or spec out their brand named products but still many are produced locally (meaning Asia).

• 4 weeks later...

back on the topic of ikea, i made the mistake of venturing there today in the hopes of redoing my 5 year old daughters bedroom.

Armed with my handy preprinted shopping list and a budget in the area of 50k, i was able to spend all of 9k as stock was out on almost everything i wanted.

i was greatly disappointed by the whole experience, which in no way resembled any ikea experience i have had in canada, beijing, singapore, KL or the US.

to Ikeas credit, the store must easily have handled 100k visitors over the course of the day. I thought going on a tuesday would be wise, i did not consider which tuesday i was going on.

I will try again in a few weeks, but with highly lowered expectations.

oh and the meatballs were crap, though the cashier that completely ignored the 2 plates of smoke salmon on my tray made me smile -- total cost for 2 smoke salmon, 1 5pc meatball and 1 water 62 thb. it was truly the only high point of my day. I even asked her if she was sure. I suspect she did not know the codes.

Edited by nocturn

IKEA not having stock to sell really is not on. Somone somewhere has seriously screwed up. I'm waiting to buy a kitchen and what's annoying me most is, not only is there nothing to sell, (no cabinets, no lights, no handles etc) but no-one can tell you what date new stock is due. How can this information not be known? All in all, not a great start for IKEA in Thailand, in my opinion.

I went in there yesterday and it was a mad house; so many people, the kind of crowds you'd expect at an amusement park not a funiture store. I'm guessing this is the reason for so many "out of stock" signs... I mean i can't imagine that any of their sales projections could have predicted those kind of turn outs.

I was quite impressed with the kitchens, a lot better options/quality than modular kitchens offered by Index/Homepro and more reasonably priced than the "custom built" kitchens at places like Boonthavon.

Also the modular wardroom systems were quite good and reasonably priced.

The lack of employees is a stark contrast to the normal business model in Thailand. Maybe i've been here too long but there did not seem to be nearly enough employees...I mean how are you supposed to get stuff down from the 3 or 4 shelf in the warehouse area? I saw a sign saying something like "Why are there no employees? Because it saves you money"...i suppose it does save me money if i can't get anything off the shelf and go home empty handed...?

Also something that struck me as weird was that they block you from bringing the trolley to your car, and instead you have to drive your car to pick up your stuff... but what if you go there by yourself? Are you supposed to just leave your stuff unattended while you go to get the car? What's stopping someone nicking it?

Hopefully by the time i actually need to buy a kitchen they will have bedded in and sorted out their stocking issues.

Sounds like a typical Ikea. Low quality.

Are you one of those plonkers that will go around saying "Buy American"? You know that's out of date...

The IKEA in Bangkok does neither have the same quality nor the variety you would expect in a western IKEA. Yes it's adapted to Thai locals who could normally not even afford these things they sell now. I know they have to place it somewhere since it's rather huge but BANG NA?

The food was terrible and NOT, I repeat not, typical Swedish food. The only thing I saw that was somewhat Swedish was the meatballs with the usual gravy, potatoes and cranberry jam. The rest seems to be a mix between KFC and Fish & Chips vendor. There aren´t even real Swedish desserts. They even serve cheesecake and as far as I know that's not Swedish.

The quality of the food was low since they didn´t even know how to heat up the food. The potatoes were mashy and filled with water, the meatballs was dry so the only thing that passed the OK bar was the gravy. The cashier and the "lovely" ladies serving the food seem to be suffering from some personality disorder as they were rather nasty to the customers.

They were completely unprepared for the "debut" and they also hired low-skill and uneducated workers to keep the prices down so you get what you give.

Edited by maxme

Also something that struck me as weird was that they block you from bringing the trolley to your car, and instead you have to drive your car to pick up your stuff... but what if you go there by yourself? Are you supposed to just leave your stuff unattended while you go to get the car? What's stopping someone nicking it?

Yes this is a major pain and the pick up lane is also right in the trams path so I had a run in with the tram driver while loading my car and had no sympathy as I felt it was a serious inconvenience dealt to me. Anyway yes, I had to leave my purchase with an employee at the door and retrieve my car with my boys and it was definitely not customer service friendly..

Sounds like a typical Ikea. Low quality.

Are you one of those plonkers that will go around saying "Buy American"? You know that's out of date...

Hardly, like fine wine, it only gets better with age...............................................................

Unless it's from Chinese made from Walmart..

Edited by WarpSpeed