Second Hand Watches?

Phil Conners

We've had some wrist watches stolen. Not Rolex-class but still good quality watches. Some we have had for decades and they have sentimental value to us and we would very much like to try to recover them again, so here's the question: Presumably the thief is going to try to sell the watches somewhere. Where would that be? Does pawn shops take watches? Is there any place specializing in watches anywhere in the Pattaya area? Where would be good places to start looking?

i am sorry to hear that Phil, do you have some pictures of them or models or even serial numbers

do you remember any distinguishing marks that are specific to these watches

bruises, scratches etc?

if you find them you will need some evidence to positively identify them as yours

as to likely candidates

all second hand shops will take watches

the city pawn shop on Soi 6, i guess so but they are strict on ID confirmation so its unlikley they will go there

there are many second hand shops but some specialize in watches

one example might be the second hand shop opposite the pattaya city condo (?) on Pattaya Thai

its on the left side as you are approaching the junction with 3rd road before the secirity camera shop

rimmer will know where that is

it maybe 500 metres before you get to the junction

i am not suggesting that he takes stolen goods but he often has better quality watches for sale like rolex, breitling, cartier etc

if i had a good watch i was desperate to sell, i would try him first

i hope that helps

good luck with your search

if there's anything specific you want me to help with then Pm me

There is a hot watch dealer at the rear of the market just down from the IT Centre. The market is opposite the Temple on 3rd road. You go right through to the back past the fish mongers and past the clothing and walk up and down the rear isle. He has a good shop there, ya cant miss it.:ph34r:

Ya never know Phil.:whistling:

Nope, no pictures or anything - but I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price to get at least one or two of them back.

I had a look at the shop opposite the Pattaya City Condo (?) - on a corner, right? No luck.

I heard about the old guy and his son running the watch shop in the fish market before, I'll try to pop in there tomorrow.

I would also look over at the weekend market at the top of Thepprasit Rd,

I've noticed some sellers there before that have s/h high quality watches & phones.

( Where would they have come from?)

Also there's a small kiosk type watch dealer/repairer at the entrance to Tesco/Lotus,

immediately to your left as you enter the main entrance, they also sell good qaulity s/h watches.

Nope, no pictures or anything - but I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable price to get at least one or two of them back.

I had a look at the shop opposite the Pattaya City Condo (?) - on a corner, right? No luck.

I heard about the old guy and his son running the watch shop in the fish market before, I'll try to pop in there tomorrow.

it may help us in the hunt , if you were to offer up a description of the pieces stolen

There is a hot watch dealer at the rear of the market just down from the IT Centre. The market is opposite the Temple on 3rd road. You go right through to the back past the fish mongers and past the clothing and walk up and down the rear isle. He has a good shop there, ya cant miss it.:ph34r:

What .... Mr Wongs ?

Been there decades, and I cant remember seeing him dealing in second hand watches, just very good fakes.

@sotsira - Yes, I wonder the same, also when you see all those second hand telephones for sale. But what do we know.

@timekeeper - My favorite was a Citizen watch very similar to this one:

solareco-drivewatch.jpg

A dive watch similar to this

bk3150-04e.jpg

One a bit like this, but with a golden faceplace and without the movable ring on the face (don't know if there's a word for that)

washington-nationals-mens-general-manager-ser.jpg

And then there's Ms Conners watch, something (but not exactly) like this. This is probably the most important; she was very attached to it as I bought it for her when we were still dating, about 20 years ago :(

SXDC43P1_2P.jpg

I guess they're all, except perhaps the first one, kinda ordinary, but if they were all to turn up next to each other that could be a clear hint.

@sotsira - Yes, I wonder the same, also when you see all those second hand telephones for sale. But what do we know.

@timekeeper - My favorite was a Citizen watch very similar to this one:

solareco-drivewatch.jpg

A dive watch similar to this

bk3150-04e.jpg

One a bit like this, but with a golden faceplace and without the movable ring on the face (don't know if there's a word for that)

washington-nationals-mens-general-manager-ser.jpg

And then there's Ms Conners watch, something (but not exactly) like this. This is probably the most important; she was very attached to it as I bought it for her when we were still dating, about 20 years ago :(

SXDC43P1_2P.jpg

I guess they're all, except perhaps the first one, kinda ordinary, but if they were all to turn up next to each other that could be a clear hint.

ok Phil i will keep an eye out for them

i love mooching second hand shops and markets aimlessly

now i have a purpose............

ps the rotating bits called a bezel

What .... Mr Wongs ?

Been there decades, and I cant remember seeing him dealing in second hand watches, just very good fakes.

Well he does sell second hand watches. I had some friends go there with me and they bought 2. The guy that sold them, said that he buys them from people that are running short of cash and cleans them up and sells them for a profit. Naturally. But it's worth a look and he may also let you know where to look for the hot ones, he speaks very good english.B)

• 1 month later...

Phil,

I would say start with the BIB.

What area did the theft take place?

I once had only a Video camera and a gold necklace stolen and I went to the police in Banglamung and believe it or not they some how found the 2 boys that stole it first (somehow they knew) and then with me in their old BIB pick--up truck and the boys in the back they told the police where to go.

I can't even remember where it was because it was down some very isolated sois off the beaten path (through some woody area but still in Pattaya city). We finally came to a house and the police took the boys in and then returned with my video recorder and 8000 baht in cash. Yes NO gold necklace but I guess the police made them borrow some money from their Aunt where we were and give it to me to compensate.

I'm not sure if one of the hidden houses was just some Thai guy that buys hot goods (back-woods pawn shop) or if the boys just hid the camera there but their Aunt lived very close too. The police just told me not possible to get the necklace back but handed me the 8k.

So yes strange things DO happen in our favor. I think i paid 10k for the gold at the time (1 baht). I recommend going to Banglamung A.S.A.P

Yeah I should probably have spoken to the local BIB truck at the time. Somehow that just never crossed my mind blink.png

Yes Gers, thank you so much for your suggestion. As I said in the OP Some we have had for decades and they have sentimental value to us and we would very much like to try to recover them again.

No, the watches did not have any dents or scratches, we take good care of our things. I know it would be difficult to prove ownership, that's not the issue. I'd buy them back. I'd know if it's the ones.

And just in general ....

there is also a watch shop at the 3rd road end of soi bukeow might be woth a look also and a pawn shop just up from soi excit on 3rd road going north on the left near the indian food place

Soi Bukeow does not end at 3'rd road, it is the connector between Pattaya Tai (south), and Pattaya Klang (central)

there is also a watch shop at the 3rd road end of soi bukeow might be woth a look also and a pawn shop just up from soi excit on 3rd road going north on the left near the indian food place

Soi Bukeow does not end at 3'rd road, it is the connector between Pattaya Tai (south), and Pattaya Klang (central)

yeh sorry i meant pattaya klang.....brain fade