Amnesty: U.S. repeatedly shipped arms supplies to Egypt

News_Editor

Amnesty: U.S. repeatedly shipped arms supplies to Egypt

2011-12-08 04:14:48 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- Rights group Amnesty International on Wednesday alleged that the United States has repeatedly shipped ammunition to Egypt despite its violent and deadly crackdown on protesters.

The London-based rights group said a U.S. shipment for the Egyptian Ministry of Interior arrived on November 26. It carried at least seven tons of 'ammunition smoke,' including chemical irritants and riot control agents such as tear gas.

According to Amnesty, it was one of at least three arms deliveries to Egypt by U.S. company Combined Systems, Inc. since the January uprising. The company, which is based in Jamestown, Virginia, manufactures a range of munitions for military forces and law enforcement agencies.

"U.S. arms shipments to Egypt's security forces must be stopped until there is certainty that tear gas and other munitions, weaponry or other equipment aren't linked to bloodshed on Egyptian streets," said Brian Wood of Amnesty International. 

On December 1, a U.S. State Department spokesperson confirmed that export licenses were approved for two U.S. companies for the export of tear gas and other non-lethal riot control agents to the Egyptian Government. The most recent export license approval occurred in July.

Days earlier, on November 29, a State Department spokesman said "we haven't seen any real concrete proof that Egyptian authorities were misusing tear gas."

Amnesty condemned the approval of the licenses, saying that it was "inconceivable that the U.S. authorities did not know of evidence of widely documented abuses by the Egyptian security forces."

Last month, dozens of people were killed and hundreds were injured during protests against the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces after security forces violently dispersed the crowd. â€¨â€¨Many of the cartridges and grenades picked up by protesters were US-made tear gas, including those marked Combined Systems Inc. or Combined Tactical Systems, which is the company's law enforcement division.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-12-08

Do what I say, but don't do what I do.

Well they are one of the biggest arms dealers in the world, it worth billions of dollars to them and no one will stand in their way. If you have the money they will supply what ever you want and to who ever wants it.

Edited by Scott
formatting

Before this goes into an off-topic discussion, please note this from the OP:

"...export licenses were approved for two U.S. companies for the export of tear gas and other non-lethal riot control agents to the Egyptian Government."

"...export licenses were approved for two U.S. companies for the export of tear gas and other non-lethal riot control agents to the Egyptian Government."

It seems Amnesty would rather the Egyptian authorities have only LETHAL methods for controlling protests or riots. Then they (Amnesty) would really have something to protest about.

I wonder if Syria has bothered with tear gas?

Edited by koheesti

Well they are one of the biggest arms dealers in the world, it worth billions of dollars to them and no one will stand in their way. If you have the money they will supply what ever you want and to who ever wants it.

+1

It seems Amnesty would rather the Egyptian authorities have only LETHAL methods for controlling protests or riots. Then they (Amnesty) would really have something to protest about.

I wonder if Syria has bothered with tear gas?

I trust that if the military stand aside and the Muslim brotherhood lead a coalition government that Amnesty international will be equally vociferous if the new Egyptian regime proceeds to lop people's heads off or allow persecution of ethnic minorities, women or gays there - but I fear hauling the U.S over the coals about tear gas sales is far safer ground. :annoyed:

+1

Many, many times more people are killed each year by Kalishnikovs than any weapon sold by the West.