Thai Building Standards

PostmanPat

I ve always defended Thai building standards in private housing developments, believing that what you get for what you pay is mostly pretty good compared to building costs in the UK where I come from.

After five years of renting I have finally felt comfortable to build and buy a house (not in my name obviously), and whilst all started well, a seven month project to completion, all going well first three months, all on schedule....then suddenly, six weeks ago......nothing, and this in a big new high profile Moo Bahn with lots of other houses going up around us.

Now, after a great deal of persuasion, cajoling, pleading and yes, I admit it, a bit of hystrionics out of sheer frustration, the process is due to begin again next Monday.....but guess what, they now plan to cram the last three months work into two to make sure they get paid on time!!

So guess whats going to suffer? Well, quality for a start. I m meeting the (multi millionaire ) project owner next Tuesday, and I ll have my say, he wont give a dam_n, and you know what, the damage has been done. I was really looking forward to completion of this project, but now am totally gutted and disappointed at the bullshit I was warned I would get at the outset and have indeed now faced.

I really hope time will be the healer, and fortunately I live only 5 minutes from the new house so at least will be able to try to progress chase ongoing standards as they rush headlong towards the filthy lucre they will expect come the end of February!!

Well. Thats it. Gutted and disappointed!!

Sorry to hear about your frustration. Building can make a young man old under the best of circumstances.

For perspective, and having been a builder in two other countries, everyone needs to remember that life is not perfect, and houses aren't either. The strongest card you hold is money. No one says you need to pay on time for substandard work, and don't. Check on progress daily, but remember not to complain too hard until a particular process is finished, then withhold payment until it is done right if it is not done right the first time. I have found that life itself is a series of correctable errors, so let them correct them. They will get the picture. If the builder puts enough people on the job, along with some OT, a lot can happen in a short period of time. If necessary, get someone who knows what to look for to go over quality control items.

I recently finished a home-build, and as promised it was done (just) inside of 90 days. No, it wasn't perfect, but it was 99%. There will always be some paint drips and missed grout lines. Some hairline settlement cracks in the first year are normal. Builders will sometimes get coerced to other projects or run slow on cash, but assuming you have a legal contract, you should be OK.

PM me if you want to get some more info.

P.S. It goes a long way if you keep your kee-boning to the high-ups and not the hands-on laborers. They work hard and make little. Splurge on some energy drinks or Cokes a couple times a week. Little details will be done a bit better.

Doesn't sound too bad to be honest; try to relax a bit. If they can get it all done on time then no harm done. Just a few extra hands can speed up the finishing with out sacrificing quality. Listen to the above poster- sum treats for the labour will get better results than an hours barbet with sales girl at the office.

Chock dee

Good advice Lobo. He still has a chance to get everything he wanted and should focus on that.

In the long run what difference does it make if the job is a month or even two late if that is what it takes to get high quality.

I had an end of week "party" sometimes for my construction workers which helped their effort. BBq meat, sticky rice, ice, soda and a couple of bottles of local whiskey, just enough for a few drinks each.

Thanks to each of you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. I ve now set up a meeting with the owner/ chief exec of the Moo Bahn, and have drawn up a draft addendum to the existing contract to provide for compensation per day if the contract is not honoured on time, and seeking reassurances that shoddy work will be corrected until satisfaction from our side, etc etc. We will see what happens!!

Whats ironic of course is the way everything is stacked up in their favour. For example, at a time when their service standards are significantly slipshod, they want new owners to pay three years Moo Bahn monthly service charges up front!! Thats not going to happen!!

Anyway, thanks again. Will report in again after Tuesdays meeting.

Edited by PostmanPat

Thanks to each of you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. I ve now set up a meeting with the owner/ chief exec of the Moo Bahn, and have drawn up a draft addendum to the existing contract to provide for compensation per day if the contract is not honoured on time, and seeking reassurances that shoddy work will be corrected until satisfaction from our side, etc etc. We will see what happens!!

Whats ironic of course is the way everything is stacked up in their favour. For example, at a time when their service standards are significantly slipshod, they want new owners to pay three years Moo Bahn monthly service charges up front!! Thats not going to happen!!

Anyway, thanks again. Will report in again after Tuesdays meeting.

Chill out man. You are dealing from weakness and would only hurt your interests if you get pushy or emotional. From their point of view, there is probably little incentive for them to amend the contract. Your only goal is to get the house you want and your best chance of doing that is to be nice, really really nice and very respectful. You said it, everything is stacked in their favor.

If they pile in the worker and put in OT, they will finish a 3 month job in 2 months no problem. I've seen it done like this several times with friends homes, and it always works out.

Like Lobo4819 said, don't expect 100% perfection. His post is wise. Life is not perfect, neither are homes. Get it 99% and be happy with it. Fix the tiny issues later if they still bother you 6 months later. But......... be there EVERY DAY and watch everything. Don't allow them to stay there unsupervised because Murphy's Law says that is exactly when they will go off the plan or short cut something.

A stressful time Pat, but some great advice here.

Look on the bright side; for example my 'other home' is in the mediterranean, where title deed transfer can take over 6 years and often does (here it can take 30 minutes),and the same house is frequently sold to multiple buyers with almost no effective legal redress. Thailand is a much better bet! Good luck :-)