Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here?

Jimi007

These threads can be both hilarious and tedious... There is a scientific reason why we have these debates, we are programmed to (really, really) like the things we like and disproportionately dis the things we don't like. Click here for a primer!

I don't think the word 'We' is appropriate. That may be the case for a lot of forum users, but it certainly isn't the case for normal balanced people in the real world. Most people understand it's 'horses for courses'.

The "we" refers to humankind (I'm guessing "we" all fall into that category?) and the studies cover everyone from children to adults (and capuchin monkeys!). I'm also guessing you didn't bother to read the link prior to posting... ;)

I did it read at as it happens. It was a survey done in the 1950's on only 225 female students! Apparently there have been various studies that have 'pointed to the existence of' a basal process. You talk about it in your post as if it's 100% fact. Are you basing your opinion of mankind on a 60 year old survey done on 225 students?

I stand by my opinion, most normal balanced people do not have these tendencies to any real exstent. Yes we all like what we like, and we like to promote the things we like to others, that is human nature. To say Rawai is the best place to live on Phuket and anyone who thinks differently is wrong, is NOT a well balanced normal part of mankind, yet it happens on here all the time.;)

Edited by MickyJames

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did it read at as it happens. It was a survey done in the 1950's on only 225 female students! Apparently there have been various studies that have 'pointed to the existence of' a basal process. You talk about it in your post as if it's 100% fact. Are you basing your opinion of mankind on a 60 year old survey done on 225 students?

If you did indeed read and not blindly skim looking for something to support your point of view, then your reading comprehension skills may need some work. The article clearly states, "the oldest study on the subject was conducted by Jack Brehm at the University of Minnesota in the 1950s." It then goes on to reference multiple studies through 2001. Very few things are black and white facts but this research is well established in the field. Perhaps this Yale University Press research article from 2007 might be more recent for you. BTW I'm considering giving up believing in relativity and gravity because those studies are so freakin' old!

If you did indeed read and not blindly skim looking for something to support your point of view, then your reading comprehension skills may need some work. The article clearly states, "the oldest study on the subject was conducted by Jack Brehm at the University of Minnesota in the 1950s." It then goes on to reference multiple studies through 2001. Very few things are black and white facts but this research is well established in the field. Perhaps this Yale University Press research article from 2007 might be more recent for you. BTW I'm considering giving up believing in relativity and gravity because those studies are so freakin' old!

Yes, I read it all the way to the end. The very last line was:

Luckily, as humans, we're blessed with the ability to tone down natural behaviors and use higher levels of thought to see and interact with the world more rationally. All it takes is admitting that you have a problem...

My favourite bit is the bit about 'higher levels of thought' as I can relate to those ;) . Your article, although slightly interesting, was hardly relevant to the topic. As it says in the last line, 'we are all capable of interacting with the world more rationaly', so as a valid excuse for forum users who moan all the time, I hardly think it hits the mark. :(

I also rather liked the last 10 words: 'All it takes is admitting that you have a problem...'

Whenever you're ready.... :D

I stand by my opinion, most normal balanced people do not have these tendencies to any real exstent. Yes we all like what we like, and we like to promote the things we like to others, that is human nature. To say Rawai is the best place to live on Phuket and anyone who thinks differently is wrong, is NOT a well balanced normal part of mankind, yet it happens on here all the time.;)

:D

post-123755-0-35000300-1323528768_thumb.

...as a valid excuse for forum users who moan all the time, I hardly think it hits the mark.

Behavioural science does not excuse anything, it attempts to explain...

Fair do's mate.

I made a simple post saying that I thought the article you were referring to had nothing to do with the topic or the behaviour of normal people. You took objection to that and defended your corner. I then pointed out a part of the very same article that said we as humans have the ability to tone down this behaviour and rise above it with rational thought, which translates to me that normal people won't be affected by it in the slightest, which is exactly what I said in my simple two line post that you took objection to.

Either way, this thread has been elevated from talking about moaning to behavioural science, which is much better if you ask me. :)

I would have to agree with you snamos. I find out where to get a good pizza or something else. Sometimes it's pretty amusing as well. But every time there is any crime thread about Phuket, the whole place sure gets a bashing...

Nobody could deny there is a lot of good info to be gained from this forum, and an ocasional bit of good humour. But imagine how much better it would be without all the moaners using it as free therapy. ;)

This is coming from a bloke who has been banned and twice has come back with different aliases only to be discovered each time on about the 3rd post....so who is using it for free therapy BTB?

I would have to agree with you snamos. I find out where to get a good pizza or something else. Sometimes it's pretty amusing as well. But every time there is any crime thread about Phuket, the whole place sure gets a bashing...

Nobody could deny there is a lot of good info to be gained from this forum, and an ocasional bit of good humour. But imagine how much better it would be without all the moaners using it as free therapy. ;)

This is coming from a bloke who has been banned and twice has come back with different aliases only to be discovered each time on about the 3rd post....so who is using it for free therapy BTB?

Does sound a bit familier...same same but diferrant ...KNOW ALL..B)

I wondered how long it would be before Rawai got a mention! :rolleyes::violin: Seems a lot of posters are obsessed with Rawai, it gets mentioned in lots of posts about other subjects - fascinating!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

and I wish the guy would someday learn that it is possible, to answer a few posts in one as opposed to reading and individually replying to each. I'm with Shot, gun to the head sometimes......and yes, the universe revolves around Rawai.

I wondered how long it would be before Rawai got a mention! :rolleyes::violin: Seems a lot of posters are obsessed with Rawai, it gets mentioned in lots of posts about other subjects - fascinating!

I wasn't saying anything bad about Rawai, I love Rawai. I was talking about when people say things like, "We live in Rawai because we took a good look round the island before settling in what is obviously the best place to live" as you did in a different thread a few days ago.

I think that's what 'mikebike' was referring to when he pointed us in the direction of the science experiments about the fanboys. I said they were only common on forums and you've just backed up that arguement. Implying that everyone who doesn't live in Rawai has got it wrong is exactly what those experiments were trying to prove the human brain does. (of course it also said that it's not rational and that we should all be able to control it)

I wasn't saying anything bad about Rawai, I love Rawai. I was talking about when people say things like, "We live in Rawai because we took a good look round the island before settling in what is obviously the best place to live" as you did in a different thread a few days ago.

Wrong poster. It was PC that said that.

Yea Chainsaw got a bum wrap there-BTW welcome back Chainsaw!

Yea Chainsaw got a bum wrap there-BTW welcome back Chainsaw!

For people that spend a lot of time on this forum you don't keep up that well. Unless PC has changed his name to Chainsaw recently it was Chainsaw who said it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/516573-high-season-brings-the-best-people-to-phuket/page__st__100

I should have also included the line before as well, that made it even funnier. He said: I don't follow your logic there...we live in Rawai and are therefore biased?

He questioned the logic of calling him bias and then immediately said Rawai was 'obviously' the best place to live on the island. :D

For people that spend a lot of time on this forum you don't keep up that well. Unless PC has changed his name to Chainsaw recently it was Chainsaw who said it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/516573-high-season-brings-the-best-people-to-phuket/page__st__100

I should have also included the line before as well, that made it even funnier. He said: I don't follow your logic there...we live in Rawai and are therefore biased?

He questioned the logic of calling him bias and then immediately said Rawai was 'obviously' the best place to live on the island. :D

Obvious to me and a few others that it wasn't the crime-ridden hole that a few of the usual trolls were trying to make it out to be. Quoting out of context diminishes your point. B)

Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't make any comments on here that they would be afraid to say to a person's face? The freedom of a fake name and ISP give the cowards and loud mouths too much freedom to spout off from their bedrooms.

Oh dear, a clumsy attempt at grabbing the moral high ground, or, are you just very "delicate"?

Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't make any comments on here that they would be afraid to say to a person's face? The freedom of a fake name and ISP give the cowards and loud mouths too much freedom to spout off from their bedrooms.

What I find amusing is that the old timers get so riled up about posts on this forum.

They were around before computers and adapted to technology with old world values and want these values extended to the online world.

Not going to happen.

I'd be happy to air my same complaints to your face but by the sounds of you and Peter are looking for a dust up if the same things were said that you disagree with..

That's OK but I don't want to have to defend myself and hurt a old man and maybe face assault charges for the sake of my comments on a boring forum.

Cool down a bit and take posts with a grain of salt as its not real life and members generally love posts like yours as another angle to wind you up.

I bet if the neighbours kids kicked a ball over the fence, you wouldn't throw it back.

Edited by LivinginKata
comment removed

Love these boring forums where so many people get wound up, :D it's all just fun and as I keep saying it's banter, some posters do get very angry though and retaliate with rudeness and name calling, love it !!!

Although I love it I never take anything personally because it is that word again banter!! people who do lose there cool and get very personal are very sad, I am amazed to read that a certain person wanted to and I am assuming fight or talk face to face is incredible!! grow up certain people these forums are just for fun!!:D :D

And now, after I pointed out Peter is out of the country......

What's that got to do with anything? I'm not in Thailand at the moment, but, I'm still posting.

Don't they have the internet where he's gone?

Maybe the first thing you do when on holiday in another country is look for an internet cafe so you can continue your smarmy posts on thaivisa, but not everybody is the same.

Peter Allen may well reply to the crap here, I don't know, but have made a presumption he's more likely doing the sightseeing thing.

2 posts removed. Off topic and making personal comments about fellow members.

This is not permitted on Thaivisa. If this continues then warnings will be issued to members who post private details/incidents with fellow members.

update// make that 5 posts removed after a review of previous posts.