High Season Brings The Best People To Phuket!

Jimi007

How much are those 'security guards' paid? Who in their right mind would trust them to actually stop (or be aware of) criminals.

Burglaries in L&H Park are in general in empty homes, and there are in low season perhaps +70% empty homes. Not a typical community. Guards do indeed prevent and stop burglaries, for one thing its hard to leave the estate with a pickup full of stolen goods

It seems in Rawai there are more reports of burglaries while people are asleep, a much more scary scenario. In addition the road robbers by bike is scary

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much are those 'security guards' paid? Who in their right mind would trust them to actually stop (or be aware of) criminals.

Burglaries in L&H Park are in general in empty homes, and there are in low season perhaps +70% empty homes. Not a typical community. Guards do indeed prevent and stop burglaries, for one thing its hard to leave the estate with a pickup full of stolen goods

It seems in Rawai there are more reports of burglaries while people are asleep, a much more scary scenario. In addition the road robbers by bike is scary

But, as I posted before, I have heard about far fewer acquaintances being robbed in the last couple of years.

There was also a 'gang' involved in bike robberies around the Sai Yuan area (again, a couple of years back). I haven't heard any recent reports though, so assume the police have 'cracked down' and found them.

Statistics is not a big part of policing, trying to reduce them is

It might surprise you how many english speaking Thais follow this forum

Yes I always look forward to the top cop of Chalong Boonlert Onglkan's weekly wrap up on Thaivisa.

Police not having statistics is kinda like not counting runs in cricket, It seems kinda weird that there is no measure of the performance of both volunteer and regular police. How do the authorities know where to deploy their resources? Do they read last weeks PG and then hit that part of town?

But, as I posted before, I have heard about far fewer acquaintances being robbed in the last couple of years.

There was also a 'gang' involved in bike robberies around the Sai Yuan area (again, a couple of years back). I haven't heard any recent reports though, so assume the police have 'cracked down' and found them.

there have been some recent road robbers here in Kata Karon. Patak road between the banks in Karon and Karon temple. Seems like they hang around bars to find victims, as they rob girls loaded with gold by kicking their bikes over.

Statistics is not a big part of policing, trying to reduce them is

It might surprise you how many english speaking Thais follow this forum

Yes I always look forward to the top cop of Chalong Boonlert Onglkan's weekly wrap up on Thaivisa.

Police not having statistics is kinda like not counting runs in cricket, It seems kinda weird that there is no measure of the performance of both volunteer and regular police. How do the authorities know where to deploy their resources? Do they read last weeks PG and then hit that part of town?

Snamos,youve got no chance of finding these stats

...the cops dont know either,forget it,its like the lottery, pick some numbers B)

Snamos,youve got no chance of finding these stats

...the cops dont know either,forget it,its like the lottery, pick some numbers B)

with 1000 paid cops in Phuket and +1million actual residents pluss the tourists, they simply dont read stats, just have time to put out fires.

and issue traffic fines up their monthly max commision on fines

i left for a week in phuket town. when i came back my bike was outside my gate.

At least our bike thiefs are incompetant compared to rawai. No security on my bike.

Thais are amazing. a 12yo kid from a rich family with no friend and no knowledge outside magic the gathering could steal a scooter in the west.

Edited by thaiIand

At least our bike thiefs are incompetant compared to rawai. No security on my bike.

Thais are amazing. a 12yo kid from a rich family with no friend and no knowledge outside magic the gathering could steal a scooter in the west.

perhaps they werent interested in a 1977 honda dream

perhaps they werent interested in a 1977 honda dream

memory light? hes got a fino :)

we frequently forget key in bike here in Kata, and nothings happend for 9 years. While at a friends house they climbed over the 2 meter perimeterwall to steel his bike locked with chain, lifting it over the wall. we v got the same nouvos, so it wasnt the bike

It seems to me that there's a hint of jealousy from the posters that constantly slag off Rawai. (you know who you are)

Maybe they've noticed that there's a real community feel about the place, and that there are many up-market places opening up (as well as our very own Supercheap!).

I think they look at the socially desolate places that they have chosen to live and realise that they made a wrong move.

Rawai has no more crime than anywhere else on the island, probably less than a lot of places.

:thumbsup:

Good post, i agree and we both live in Rawai so should know

No crime where we live and we are only 500 metres from the beach front

No, what it means is that you both live in Rawai and are therefore biased.

What has distance from the beach front got to do with crime?

From the reporting on TV and PG (see links I supplied), I would have to somewhat agree with KBB.

Phuket Town first, then Kathu, Patong and Rawai roughly the same.

I don't follow your logic there...we live in Rawai and are therefore biased?

We live in Rawai because we took a good look round the island before settling in what is obviously the best place to live. As I said before, there's lots of other places on the island with more crime than Rawai.

Quoting ancient PG articles to support your argument is a bit pathetic, sounds like you're desperate to put Rawai down any way you can!

It seems to me that there's a hint of jealousy from the posters that constantly slag off Rawai. (you know who you are)

Maybe they've noticed that there's a real community feel about the place, and that there are many up-market places opening up (as well as our very own Supercheap!).

I think they look at the socially desolate places that they have chosen to live and realise that they made a wrong move.

Rawai has no more crime than anywhere else on the island, probably less than a lot of places.

Yeah but this works the other way round too

You live in Rawai and slag off other areas saying they are socially desolate. My opinion of Rawai is that it does attract more crime than other areas of the island (per capita).....maybe I am wrong but I wouldn't want to live there anyhow.

I'm not slagging off other areas, just pointing out that other places don't have the same community atmosphere that we enjoy here - i.e. socially desolate

From the reporting on TV and PG (see links I supplied), I would have to somewhat agree with KBB.

We live in Rawai because we took a good look round the island before settling in what is obviously the best place to live. As I said before, there's lots of other places on the island with more crime than Rawai.

Quoting ancient PG articles to support your argument is a bit pathetic, sounds like you're desperate to put Rawai down any way you can!

Of course you're biased. You claiming that you don't have "a dog in this race"?

How did you arrive that Rawai has less crime before moving there? Look at PG articles? Talked to cops? Talked to the bar-stool experts?

Sounds like you're desperate to convince people that Rawai is safer than other areas. Selling your house, are you?

What has crime got to do with "community feeling". They aren't connected.

peter you really love to post a wrong answer in every single thread?

Rawai is the CHEAPEST town on this island.You can get 4br 2 story house with pool(granted its cheap furniture and smelly house) for 20k baht..

in most towns you dont get much for 20k

Edited by thaiIand

peter you really love to post a wrong answer in every single thread?

Rawai is the CHEAPEST town on this island.You can get 4br 2 story house with pool(granted its cheap furniture and smelly house) for 20k baht..

in most towns you dont get much for 20k

First of all Rawai is a municipality not a town

Show me a house you can buy in Rawai for 20K actually show me a house you can buy

anywhere in Phuket for 20K and i would be interested in buying it or ten

Why instead of quoting of the top of you head don't you check Welltas web site there

no cheap properties in Rawai or Nai Harn

Edited by LivinginKata
2 inflammatory remarks removed

Isn't Rawaii the cheapest in Phuket?

No everyone thinks there land is worth the same anywhere in Phuket weather its on the

top of a mountain or in a swamp, Rawai is not cheap we spent nearly 6 months looking

for a house as genuine cash buyers and Rawai is one of the more expensive areas

and the best if you are not interested in bars

there have been some recent road robbers here in Kata Karon. Patak road between the banks in Karon and Karon temple. Seems like they hang around bars to find victims, as they rob girls loaded with gold by kicking their bikes over.

And, to be fair, girls "loaded with gold" would be targeted in pretty much every country.

Rawai has its problems but, is generally an agreeable place to live if you avoid the bars.