Traveler'A Cheque From The Uk

Whenever I have asked for the largest denomination in sterling, I have only ever got £100 cheques. In fact I have never seen any bigger. Seeing as most in the UK are Thomas Cook, or Amex, you might want to ask them.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the same, although those people, including the manager in that post office mentioned the possibility of having the 200 ones :huh: They didnt seem to be aware of the traveler"s cheques :lol:

So time to click on some websites

I get £200 Amex travelers cheques from Lloyds. They are free if you have a Lloyds account and order over the phone!

Not heard of £500 Cheques, but does not mean they don't exist!

There is now a 3% commission on it at Lloyds, not a very good deal now.

you can get £500 t c from Lloyds tsb but you have to order them, they usual take 3 days to arrive at your local branch....i have used them on a number of occasions

So i am gonna call them tomorrow but hopefully the 3 % commission doesnt apply when ordered by phone.

I get £200 Amex travelers cheques from Lloyds. They are free if you have a Lloyds account and order over the phone!

Not heard of £500 Cheques, but does not mean they don't exist!

There is now a 3% commission on it at Lloyds, not a very good deal now.

1.5% commission at the Post Office.

From Lloyds website:-

0% commission when you buy foreign currency banknotes and non-Sterling American Express® Travellers Cheques. (There is also no commission charge when buying Sterling Travellers Cheques over the phone but in a branch you will be charged 1.5% commission - minimum £3.)

I think the highest denomination GB pound cheque you can get in the UK is for £100, maybe you can get a higher denomination if you pre order.

I think the highest denomination for the US is $500 dollar cheque from RBS, and a 200 euro.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:sxouH6wWABAAB@Bs7AwAAAG-/travel/amex.html

I'd like a higher denomination GB pound cheque but have never been able to get over £100 so will review this thread with interest.

Edit..

And as an after thought, I bet it will be fun trying to exchange a £200 or £500 trav cheque in Thailand, I have enough trouble exchanging £100 ones, they sure take their time checking them over and over again..

Edited by MB1

Going slightly off topic but,

it is clear that there are a number of posters who like using TC's. Personally, I cannot see the point either from a cost, convenience, security or logistical angle.

What is the attraction ?

The security, for sure, so that makes sense doesnt it?

I think the highest denomination GB pound cheque you can get in the UK is for £100, maybe you can get a higher denomination if you pre order.

I think the highest denomination for the US is $500 dollar cheque from RBS, and a 200 euro.

http://www.rbcroyalb...ravel/amex.html

I'd like a higher denomination GB pound cheque but have never been able to get over £100 so will review this thread with interest.

Edit..

And as an after thought, I bet it will be fun trying to exchange a £200 or £500 trav cheque in Thailand, I have enough trouble exchanging £100 ones, they sure take their time checking them over and over again..

to be honest, taking large amount of money in 100 pounds denomination will cost more then cash or money transfer. Although safer then carrying cash.

Edit..

to be honest, taking large amount of money in 100 pounds denomination will cost more then cash or money transfer. Although safer then carrying cash.

gary, I would say not much safer (you have protection if lost/stolen) because you have signed them already - I am sure an unscrupulous khatoey in a soi 6 exchange booth would not bother to ask for a passport.

I prefer using bank transfers but I would take TC's over cash.

you can get £500 t c from Lloyds tsb but you have to order them, they usual take 3 days to arrive at your local branch....i have used them on a number of occasions

Just rang Lloyds, she tells me the max they do is £200. Perhaps you could give more detail of how you get £500 Amex travelers cheques?

• 3 weeks later...

Edit..

I sometimes come to Thailand for 2 months+ and actually prefer to use a combination of cash, TC's and bank cards, gives me peace of mind if I have a problem with one of the 3.