Cracks In Runway At Suvarnabhumi Airport

Jai Dee

DEMOCRAT PARTY DEMANDS EXPLANATIONS FROM GOVT REGARDING BAD CONSTRUCTION OF SUVARNABHUMI'S EAST RUNWAY

Deputy Democrat Party Leader Mr. ALONGKORN PHOLABUTR (อลงกรณ์ พลบุตร) demanded the government to clarify details regarding the bad construction of SUVARNABHUMI (สุวรรณภูมิ) Airport’s east runway as the opening day may be postponed.

The Deputy Democrat Party Leader revealed that SUVARNABHUMI Airport’s east runway is not up to standard. There are reports that some parts of the runway have showns of cracks, which may pose danger to aircrafts when takin goff. The officials are now repairing more than 30,000 square meters of the runway.

Mr. ALONGKORN questioned the New Bangkok International Airport (NBIA) of why it has made its opening date announcement on the web when the airport is still repairing its runway.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2005

THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE SUWANNAPHUM AIRPORT IS 97% COMPLETE

Director of the Suwannaphum (สุวรรณภูมิ) Airport Somchai Sawadipol (สมชาย สวัสดิผล) indicates that the construction of the Suwannaphum International Airport is now 97% completed. Mr. Somchai said that officials have been sent to fix problems causing delays in the construction of the Suwannaphum airport, adding that most work is now in the process of testing the system and decorating.

As for the problem with the roof tops of the buildings for Information Technology or AIMS, Mr. Somchai said that officials have been dispatched to fix the roofs, adding that the system should be ready for installation by December.

Mr. Somchai also said that reports on cracks on the runways in the Suwannaphum airport are untrue, because the cracks are the old ones intentiaonly caused by the constructors. He said that the cracks occurred before the testing at the airport on September 29.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 November 2005

(quote)...Mr. Somchai also said that reports on cracks on the runways in the Suwannaphum airport are untrue, because the cracks are the old ones intentiaonly caused by the constructors. He said that the cracks occurred before the testing at the airport on September 29.

Now it all makes sense... :o:D:D

TV3 news & some Thai-language newspapers this morning were reporting that officials claim the cracks are a deliberate if un-necessary design-feature, put in by the farang airport-designers, who are more used to working with European countries' ice & snow.

The cracks enable the melting waters to drain off the runway more quickly. :D

This must be good news for the Bangkok Post, in their lawsuit, over the existence of cracks on the runways - now that senior Thai officials agree that there were cracks, before 29th September.

Let's hope that the stupid farang designers, reading how they over-engineered the runways with water-drainage cracks, don't take this as a slur on their expertise, and sue to clear their own reputations. :o

I am suprised that they designed the runways to meet these conditions, which surely can't have been in the original specifications, without mentioning it to whoever commissioned them ?

Or was this all part of a secret plan - to bring the Winter-Olympics to Bangkok ?

I wonder how long it will take - to re-do 30,000 square meters of runway-surface ?

Pre-Sactly! You took the words right out of my mouth, cdnvic!

I somehow doubt that any company would employ engineers who were so stupid that they couldn't figure out how much snow we receive in Thailand and design the airport runway drainage system to comply - even if these things were not mentioned in the spec.

I also don't believe that even a casual observer with no engineering or construction concepts whatsoever could mistake purpose built drainage slots (if that was what they are claimed to be) for fault cracks...one would presumably be quite regular and obviously man made whereas the other would be random in location, depth and structure...

I propose a crackdown on these cracks!

I smell something here, if there is no problem, why are they being so secretive?

How about an outside unbiased investigation (yeah right!) to look at the runway and judge whether it had been constructed properly.

I don't like the way they have blamed the runway cracks on foriegners, to suggest they made a runway with cracks as they were used to snow covered runways is ludicrous, anyone designing a runway will be well enough qualified to change design for hot tropical climates with heavy rainfall. sounds like an excuse that would sound plausible to a poor farmer, or make sense to any idiot who is supposed to cover up any problems.

Jeez, after all the corruption there it wouldn't surprise me if they hired local labourers to design it and charge way above what it should be, possibly even using inferior materials.

They did this with the roof and other things.

It really seems that just about every aspect of this airport is somehow tainted with corruption or at the least a severe lack of transparency.

THERE IS NO CRACKS ON THE RUNWAY.

:o

Okay ?

Hum... it's going to be good next june when Thaksin (still PM at that time ?) will have to actually eat his hat and to agree that HIS airport is doomed.

This is the funny part with Thais (asian) : they will continue to deny reality, over and over. It's working with "concepts" (for instance "there is no corruption in Thailand"), but for the opening of an international airport... no way...

Well if that pic was taken at the new aiport then i'd saying that's pretty damning evidence. I'm no expert on runways, but i'd say that 'crack' isn't for drainage eigher.

It's funny that all these defamation suits only seem to attract more attension to the allegations. If those pics are taken from the airport then the defamtion case against bangkok post should be dropped immediately.

I really think that one of the governments biggest mistakes is all these defamation cases with such high figures attached. All it does it keep things in the news longer, the huge figures also bring suspicion, especially when you look at similar methods in Singapore and Malaysia.

They are their own worst enemy!

It is on the edge of the runway, but still a new runway should be look new.

Also the runway was supposed to have been completed at the time Bangkok post broke the story, so if that the case then if they say it wasn't finished it still won't be a good enough defence in court.

Or at least it shouldn't be..........

Who knows these days tho :o

I smell something here, if there is no problem, why are they being so secretive?

I don't like the way they have blamed the runway cracks on foriegners, to suggest they made a runway with cracks as they were used to snow covered runways is ludicrous, anyone designing a runway will be well enough qualified to change design for hot tropical climates with heavy rainfall.  sounds like an excuse that would sound plausible to a poor farmer, or make sense to any idiot who is supposed to cover up any problems.

A former Thai government once spent nearly two years blaming foreigners for the then newly emerging AIDS epidemic. And you are surprised that they now blame foreigners on shoody construction and oversight on this decades old monument to corruption?

This is business as usual in the Thai roadway concrete construction business. It is the norm for a company to get a contract and then only partially finish the work or do a sub-stanadard job after having skimmed a large part of the contract into their pockets and no longer being able to afford to do a proper job up to specs. But this allows another member of the boys club to get their turn with the public's money and finish off the project. Besides, who is ever going to investigate Siam Cement?

Chaiyo!

THERE IS NO CRACKS ON THE RUNWAY.

:D

Luckily it is Mr Somchai, of the new airport company, who now says that there ARE cracks. He should know - he owns the airport. So anyone who says that there aren't, must be mistaken, through no fault of their own natch :D

One more thing occurs to me. We're told that these special drainage-cracks, to drain melt-water from ice & snow on the runway, occur only on the east runway.

So did the designers forget to put them on the West-runway, or does the snow in Thailand only fall in the East, like the 'rain in Spain' ? Cue for a song !

Either way it's bound to be the fault of these incompetent farangs - so I wonder who gave them the contract in the first place, and why ?

It's a mystery beyond my understanding :o

Bangkok Post lawsuit has nothing to do with this particular crack. They run a story of a half a meter wide crack running across the runway that can swallow front landing gear, and a US expert who was flown in to inspect it and then quickly whisked back.

Someone fed them that crap, on purpose, I presume, and then came the 1 bil lawsuit. Couple this with attempted take over and a total silence on the matter. We'll never know what actually happened - these newspapers are still Thai, remember?

PM CONFIDENT THAT SUWANNAPHUM AIRPORT WILL BE COMPLETED ON TIME

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat (ทักษิณ ชินวัตร) expressed his confidence that Suwannaphumi (สุวรรณภูมิ) International Airport will be completed on the scheduled time in June 2006. Prime Minister Thaksin said after a meeting that the opening of the Suwannaphumi International Airport will remain the same as June 2006, because the progress of the construction has proven satisfactory. He said that from the report, some parts of the work at the new airport were finished ahead of the schedule, adding that there is no obstacle that will affect construction of the airport.

As for the countdown party at the Suwannaphum airport, the premier said that the size of the party should be scaled back. He said that the number of participants should be reduced from 250,000 to 120,000, so that the party will not be too big.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 November 2005

PM CONFIDENT THAT SUWANNAPHUM AIRPORT WILL BE COMPLETED ON TIME

As for the countdown party at the Suwannaphum airport, the premier said that the size of the party should be scaled back. He said that the number of participants should be reduced from 250,000 to 120,000, so that the party will not be too big.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 November 2005

Why? So as not to put too much weight on the new runways? :o

After reading most of these postings it is obvious that these people know very little about runways, taxi ways,etc,design concrete,crack inducers.i will not add to the list.My main point is why don't the editor of the" Post, Nation,& Thai newspapers,take reporters ,lensmen to the Airport and publish their findings on the front page of their respective Newspapers.The results would let the media know the truth Albert