Tyre Roar Or Wheel Bearings?

2long

I have recently heard a noise at the back of the Jazz and asked Honda to diagnose which wheel bearing(s) needed replacing. They told me one at the back, one at the front and another at the front won't be long. I got the two most-important done (outside) and can still hear some noise (although not as much). The guy said it's due to my Goodyear tyres.

Your comments, please.

Your a bit between the devil and the deep blue sea as they say.

I know there's cost involved but when you get wheels bearings done it's best to have them all done at the same time.

Our Dunlop tyres on OEM rims were reasonably quiet compared to the Goodyear we have now but that was to be expected as they are wide low profile tyres fitted on new larger rims.

Are your tyres OEM still or have you changed them recently.??

Are your tyres the correct pressure.??

The noise you hear now is it the same as before but not so loud.??

As Trans said about tyre noise on surfaces, tyres have a typical sound and should be quite obvious to the driver if you are use to driving the same car.

Edited by Kwasaki

2long, have you had the car from new? has it banged into a kerb or been regualy driven over a kerbstone for parking ect? you say the noise is from the rear now, ok, a quick way to check for rear wheel alignment is to run your hand across the tyre tread, if its smooth one way and rough when you pull you hand back over the tread, it would suggest that the rear wheel alignment is at fault, perhaps radius arm bushes worn..

I've had it from new and it's only covered 74,000klms.

I'm the only one who can hear the noise.

It's an auto and never had anything more than very low-speed scratches and knocks.

It's on its second set of tyres from new, replaced all four together about a year ago. I can't remember what tyres were on it from new, but I feel that I kept the same brand.

wheel bearings show no sign of movement when attempting jacked-up hand test.

Jacking up a wheel, holding the top and bottom of the wheel to test the bearing is absolutly useless, unless of course the bearing is shot beyond belief, then you will have play in the bearing,

Best way is jack up the wheel, kick wheel a few times to knock off pad/shoe contact, then spin wheel, put hand on the axle or as close as you can get to the wheel, if you feel any vibration, then the wheel bearing is at fault,

It would help if OPs stated Mileage , Year and Trans, and how many drivers / owners. Noise from the rear ,? it must have been trashed or driven round the world, therear end does next to no work on a Jazz /City/Yaris type cars, it not a truck..coffee1.gif

Wandrinstar, i wrote to the then forum mod suggesting a pinned topic along the lines of PLEASE READ THIS FIRST, if you have a problem with your car/truck ect, please state model milage, manual/auto ect, it would help us people a lot to know the facts, perhaps even a known fault with certain models that we can advise on, but my PM was ignored and a pinned topic on the flooded roads was opened.

Would you and other posters with knowledge of mechanical issues like to see a pinned topic like this?

Thanks.

Unless you have owned the Vehicle from New its impossible to pose fellow posters a Fair Question. Even then, if The Wifes Brother has used it much the same applies. Ive had the Little Bastards pass me in my Friends new rides as if im going backwards. But hes a Good Lad.mad.gif. Pinned Topics are up to the Head Service Manager , good idea though.biggrin.gif

I wrote to the then forum mod suggesting a pinned topic along the lines of PLEASE READ THIS FIRST,

If you have a problem with your car/truck ect, please state model milage, manual/auto ect, it would help us people a lot to know the facts,

Would you and other posters with knowledge of mechanical issues like to see a pinned topic like this?

Thanks.

Good idea but there's always a but :D they don't usually come back on saying problem was solve " it was this " etc etc.

What happened to guy with the overheating re-con engine for one.??

I wrote to the then forum mod suggesting a pinned topic along the lines of PLEASE READ THIS FIRST,

If you have a problem with your car/truck ect, please state model milage, manual/auto ect, it would help us people a lot to know the facts,

Thanks.

Good idea but there's always a but :D they don't usually come back on saying problem was solve " it was this " etc etc.

+1,

Very few ''members'' come back with thanks (I had 2 :)), or your a numb nut with your theory ;). Most here try to help, we disagree sometimes but l am sure in the end we do try to help. :)

Thanks.

+1,

Very few ''members'' come back with thanks (I had 2 :)), or your a numb nut with your theory ;). Most here try to help, we disagree sometimes but l am sure in the end we do try to help. :)

Yeah !!! For sure Trans, and going a bit off subject, I still think a 2.7 engine 4 pot is crazy always thought it was a V6 because of the V sign on the back of Tuna's, and the

" Cat " was called a " Cat " whatever the exhaust threw out, call it a DPF or whatever, a mechanic was a spanner in my day and now because of computer ECM ( ECU) (PCM) etc they have a tool box and a laptop and have become like my young son a Technician. :blink: I never stop learning eh !! :D

Edited by Kwasaki