Lpg Installation Costs

kellbell

I got the wife a Yaris and she is very happy with it. Now her friend has got an old Honda with the LPG conversion fitted and after finding out the gas is only 16 baht a litre she wants it fitted to the car. Any idea of a rough cost for getting it fitted ? Cheers

Answer about 17,000 baht but yes not much room for the tank. It can be done here is an example shows you where the tank goes. But don't let your chosen installer talk you into the multipoint injection system. Too expensive and on a Yaris doesn't add anything worth bothering about.

Hindsight. You should have bought her a Vios then there would have been lots of room for an LPG tank. LGP is quite a popular conversion for Vios.

Do not touch NGV with a barge pole. Long queues at filling stations and limited range between fill ups. BUT OK if you live right next door to a filling station and never really go anywhere.

Edited by VocalNeal

Isnt cng like 70bar? I wouldnt transport my scuba gear in the back of a yaris either btw.

on a serious note, you may want to address the rear suspension...as the weight will tax the stock system. Id assess the ride quality and consider whether to modify with rear shock spacers though this will invariably affect the ride quality.

Unless she's doing bundles of KM is it worth it on a small ride? :unsure:

Money wise, yes it is

I have 2 rules;

1) Car must be compatible (i.e., manufacturer confirm) or every single questionable part replaced with confirmed compatible dito. LPG not done 100% correctly and safely is not smart

2) Overall crash safety must not be reduced

Thanks for the input guys and you have said all I have been saying. Boot too small, she goes nowhere really to make it pay etc but like all good Thai girls she just see's that it is 16 baht against 36-8 baht. I'm just hoping she forgets about it over the next few weeks. Cheers again.

There's almost no boot in the Yaris as it is, where would you put the toothbrush if you have a gas tank there?

Joking :)

But I honestly wonder if a Yaris is a good candidate considering the space issue

As I understand different forms of tanks are now available on the Thai market.

Underfloor tanks, tanks that go in the sparewheel space (pancake tank), saddle tanks, combination tanks that replace the normal petrol tank.

In the Yaris the best would be a sparewheel tank, as with the normal LPG tank the spare has to go somewhere else.

Do press the installer for a different tank, they will always try to sell you a tank in the back taking away all your luggage space

A good conversion will cost more as the 17,000 baht quoted.

More in the range of 25,000-30,000 baht, for a good quality installation.

LPG, now, sells for 12 baht a litre, the car will use around 10% more, so do some arithmatics for getting certain that it will be cheaper in the long run.

As MRO pointed out, it's one of the oddities of Thailand that a pickup costs less in fuel than a small petrol car. I was impressed by a company called Versus Thailand, an LPG conversion is around the 25k mark, but a donut tank which fits into the spare-wheel well adds another 8k to the bill. They offer a warranty, service schedule and are nationwide so you have peace of mind. I decided not to get LPG (I've a Honda City) as it just seemed like 100s more parts with the potential to break or need servicing. Since becoming interested in it though, I have seen those tell-tale green LPG stickers on an astonishing variety of cars in Thailand though; a few Nissan march, a Volvo, a Toyota Camry (seriously, would you?) and even a tiny Cherry QQ.

Unless she's doing bundles of KM is it worth it on a small ride? :unsure:

Money wise, yes it is

I have 2 rules;

1) Car must be compatible (i.e., manufacturer confirm) or every single questionable part replaced with confirmed compatible dito. LPG not done 100% correctly and safely is not smart

2) Overall crash safety must not be reduced

I agree and because it's a small engine I'd also consider a spare tire tank instead, not too likely she's going to be changing her tire anyways if she gets a flat but she can still get good mileage out of it due to it's size without wasting what little cargo space she has now and less likely to require any suspension upgrades..

I question the 16b per liter though, where is she getting that price from out in the sticks somewhere? Her friend is being gouged if not. I've never paid more then 11.35 and that used to come with free bottled water but now it's only 11.15 most places and comes with a couple of free bottled waters, I'd drive out on an empty tank at that price as I could/would still run it on the OEM tank to the next station..

^^ Oops you beat me to it! Yes I agree...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Answer about 17,000 baht but yes not much room for the tank. It can be done here is an example shows you where the tank goes. But don't let your chosen installer talk you into the multipoint injection system. Too expensive and on a Yaris doesn't add anything worth bothering about.

Hindsight. You should have bought her a Vios then there would have been lots of room for an LPG tank. LGP is quite a popular conversion for Vios.

Do not touch NGV with a barge pole. Long queues at filling stations and limited range between fill ups. BUT OK if you live right next door to a filling station and never really go anywhere.

"... But don't let your chosen installer talk you into the multipoint injection system"...What is the difference,except for the price of course?...the other is like 10K+ more...

As MRO pointed out, it's one of the oddities of Thailand that a pickup costs less in fuel than a small petrol car. I was impressed by a company called Versus Thailand, an LPG conversion is around the 25k mark, but a donut tank which fits into the spare-wheel well adds another 8k to the bill. They offer a warranty, service schedule and are nationwide so you have peace of mind. I decided not to get LPG (I've a Honda City) as it just seemed like 100s more parts with the potential to break or need servicing. Since becoming interested in it though, I have seen those tell-tale green LPG stickers on an astonishing variety of cars in Thailand though; a few Nissan march, a Volvo, a Toyota Camry (seriously, would you?) and even a tiny Cherry QQ.

Yes the Green LPG sticker unfortunately it seems to be an add on if you want it plastered somewhere.

In Australia By Law "red triangle" with white lettering is fixed to the center of the rear number plate for everyone to see.(can't remember if one on front number plate or not).

Another interesting fact with LPG is that only Certified LPG installers can carry out your yearly RWC due to part of the check involving Tank date + safety of LPG system.

These two factors are to do with "safety" sorry forgot for a moment TiT - will not be introduced here in my lifetime.

One other issue if you are considering fitting LPG establish with the installer where the filler connection will be located - Australia as I would imagine in many if not all safety concious countries would be the same - LPG filler wormed/worked into the current space along with petrol fill NOT NECESSARILY SO IN THAILAND - have a geek at some of the spots most popular being under the rear (near differential) like a wick for the intended sky rocket.