Northerners Light Fires To Keep Out The Cold

Jai Dee

NORTHERN COLD IS PROMPTING MANY TO LIGHT UP FIRES TO WARM THEMSELVES

The cold weather in the northern region of Thailand has been forcing residents living on the mountain ranges to rely on building fire to create heat sources, in order to keep them intact when faced with temperatures of just six to eight degrees Celsius.

On the Doi Suthep (ดอยสุเทพ) range in Chiang Mai Province, children and adults alike cannot bear the freezing temperature by simply wrapping up in thick insulators. Fires have to be lighted at night to provide warmth, while showers have to be taken before nightfall due to the drop in temperature. Locals say the temperature is colder than previous years, prompting them to gather a large amount of firewood to prepare for the nights.

As for the northern urban areas, singers and dancers at New Changphuak (นิวช้างเผือก) Restaurant located on the Chotana (โชตนา) Road have to use the time between performances to circle around a fire to warm up. Barbeque places and grilling restaurants have been seeing increased customers ever since the weather cooled down.

In the meantime, the Northern Region Meteorological Center has reported an expected increase in fog, and warned people to exercise caution in travels.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 November 2005

> As for the northern urban areas, singers and dancers at New Changphuak (นิวช้างเผือก)

> Restaurant located on the Chotana (โชตนา) Road have to use the time between

> performances to circle around a fire to warm up.

"...If the cold spell persists, some performers reported that they may have to resort to wearing clothes that actually extend more than 3 inches down from their waist and aren't made of thin silver colored plastic. " :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I love it. :o Perfect temperature for me now (in the city, that is). No need for aircon, but still warm enough to be able to wear a t-shirt.

T-shirt! I'm wearing longsleeves most of the day, jacket at night. I was at the open-air Chang Jazz Pub Last night and thought it was very chilly ...

I love it. :o Perfect temperature for me now (in the city, that is). No need for aircon, but still warm enough to be able to wear a t-shirt.

T-shirt! I'm wearing longsleeves most of the day, jacket at night. I was at the open-air Chang Jazz Pub Last night and thought it was very chilly ...

I'm Swedish, remember? :D

I live about 50km south west of Khampaeng Phet and my family have taken to lighting a fire at night and first thing in the morning during this last week. I find it Ok in the daytime but at night I don't even have the fan on but leave the windows open and I am considering replacing the 1 blanket with a british summer weight quilt soon.

Adjarn: But I've really noticed the difference in my pool...

:o Good Lord Buddha! I wouldn't dip a toe into that pool at these temperatures.

meadish: still warm enough to be able to wear a t-shirt.

My wife is wearing three layers (the uppormost being a wool jacket from her Boston time) and taking coughing pills.

I'm Swedish, remember?

Well, I am German, but probably a bit mollycoddled after 12 years in Bangkok. Note to self: book Spitzbergen cruise holiday next year for hardening.

X-Pat

COLD WEATHER IN THE NORTH IS SPURRING TRADE IN SECOND-HAND BODY INSULATORS

The cold weather in the north at present has resulted in vigorous trading in the market for second-hand body insulators.

As the weather in the North and the Northeast is colder than the same period in the previous years, many people have enthusiastically shopped for second-hand jackets and sweaters that most merchants have brought from the Salt Factory (โรงเกลือ) Market in SAKAEW Province. The items are sold from 5 to 300 baht a piece. However, these sweaters and jackets have not yet been cleaned, and buyers are advised to wash them and let them dry in the sun for germ-killing purpose, before wearing.

In the meantime, it has been observed that grill and barbeque-type restaurants have been getting more customers.

The meteorological center in northern region has reported that the slightly weakening cold air mass covering the North will be causing an increase in fog at the moment. People are advised to be careful when traveling through the fog.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 November 2005