Are You A Winner Or A Loser

PattaniMan

Are you a winner or a loser? What have you actually achieved here in Thailand.

Obviously, if you're an expat who's been transferred here to do a specific job then you're a winner. You are here because you are competent and successful. In which case, good luck to you.

But how about those of you who are here because you've chosen to make Thailand your new home. Have you made a successful new life for yourself?

1. what -- if anything -- have you achieved?

2. what new skills -- if any -- have you learned, developed, honed, and used to your advantage?

3. what -- if anything -- have you accomplished? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

Way too many farangs come to Thailand and then just ........ vegetate. How are you different?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I think you're missing the point.

Few in life are genuine 'winners' - how many actually make a positive change for society as a whole?

Obviously a few geniuses achieve something TRULY worthwhile but, having a job does not make anyone a 'winner' in real terms.

I don't doubt though that having joined this forum more than a month ago you have the best 'view' on winners and losers.

2. what new skills -- if any -- have you learned, developed, honed, and used to your advantage?

3. what -- if anything -- have you accomplished? What makes you stand out from the crowd?

1. I have created a new Thai/British person.

2. I have learnt to speak, read and write Thai (basic so far, but getting better slowly).

3. Putting my gf through high-school, she finishes at the end of this term.

4. Putting my gfs daughter through high-school.

Is that enough?

Not a falang but got here at age 21 with virtually zero assets (not counting family assets) and only several US$ hundred (at most a thousand maybe) in cash.

IMO now a relative financial success (again still not counting family assets, just what I've added to the pile). 15 years later: not a satang in debt neither personally or business wise (all ventures operating on their own cash flow) and the children and future grandchildren have their homes, rent property, and education(s), etc., paid for. Spend most of our time planning and grooming the next generation to not flush it all down the toilet. I probably haven't developed much as a person though other than becoming more laid back / less hot tempered. Maybe a little less condescending now that I have a better view of it all as well.

Still can barely read or write Thai so basically I found a way to become one of those illiterate Chinese bosses (albeit from the US instead of China) that are all now mostly 80-90+ years old.

:)

edit: that said, I did expect to do much more when I first got here. I visualized owning chains and chains of businesses that at that time were unheard of here and expected to be a household name. Not even close, nothing ever took off on that scale. The drive to do anything like that has long since been replaced with a conservative 'maintain what you've accomplished stop loss, this is more than most can ever dream of' type way of thinking. Oh well... it's all relative.

Edited by Heng

Not a falang but got here at age 21 with virtually zero assets (not counting family assets) and only several US$ hundred (at most a thousand maybe) in cash.

IMO now a relative financial success (again still not counting family assets, just what I've added to the pile). 15 years later: not a satang in debt neither personally or business wise (all ventures operating on their own cash flow) and the children and future grandchildren have their homes, rent property, and education(s), etc., paid for. Spend most of our time planning and grooming the next generation to not flush it all down the toilet. I probably haven't developed much as a person though other than becoming more laid back / less hot tempered. Maybe a little less condescending now that I have a better view of it all as well.

Still can barely read or write Thai so basically I found a way to become one of those illiterate Chinese bosses (albeit from the US instead of China) that are all now mostly 80-90+ years old.

edit: that said, I did expect to do much more when I first got here. I visualized owning chains and chains of businesses that at that time were unheard of here and expected to be a household name. Not even close, nothing ever took off on that scale. The drive to do anything like that has long since been replaced with a conservative 'maintain what you've accomplished stop loss, this is more than most can ever dream of' type way of thinking. Oh well... it's all relative.

WINNER

Personally, I think you're missing the point.

Few in life are genuine 'winners' - how many actually make a positive change for society as a whole?

Obviously a few geniuses achieve something TRULY worthwhile but, having a job does not make anyone a 'winner' in real terms.

I don't doubt though that having joined this forum more than a month ago you have the best 'view' on winners and losers.

Do you honestly judge people's opinions and views according to the length of time they have been members of an internet forum?

Edited by PattaniMan

Definitely a loser.

Still no Bangkok taxi meters in Pattaya!

On the other hand I came here with a small fortune and still have a small fortune. Above average, yes?

My real feeling: superficial people who feel they need to divide humanity into winners and loser are losers. Uh oh. For all of us -- it ends BADLY.

Edited by Jingthing

IMO, winner prior to hitting Thailand but actively working on winning here. Not exactly easy, of course.

Came over, working on business interest.

The understanding that although I absolutely disagree with many things about Thailand (I do love many things as well), I can generally use the problems to my advantage.

Young, well-educated, wife and I walked away from more money than most people ever get to make, have a beautiful, young, educated, kind wife, good looking and physically healthy, dropped my concern for material wealth (as evidenced by walking away from a lot of money), do not care for the many distractions that many fall for, learned to not take things personally most of the time, acclimatized, started building relationships with other educated foreigners and Thais here from various places (like school and such), learned to not care much about roaches crawling on my food, learned to be a bit more humble, decided against having any children (huge win, imo), decided that winning is not only about tangible things (like material wealth) but it can also be something like a lack of fear of failure and an understanding that the ride is just as important as the destination.

How about you, OP? Anything inspiring?

Edited by ThailandMan
  • Like 1

"Are you a winner or a loser?"

Never really understood this mania for winning. I wonder if wanting to win makes one a loser by default?

I retired here for an easy life without work. On that basis I have succeeded as I do have an easy life and I don't work.

Learnt something new? I have, but given that I have also forgotten more than many people here ever knew, that isn't of any great import.

Accomplishments? I get up, live my day peacefully and go to bed at night without having to steal anything from anyone to pay for my next meal. This alone makes me stand out from many farangs living here, especially the ones that don't qualify for a retirement visa extension. They seem to be a particularly scummy lot. "Winners", I suppose.

Young, well-educated, wife and I walked away from more money than most people ever get to make, have a beautiful, young, educated, kind wife, good looking and physically healthy, dropped my concern for material wealth (as evidenced by walking away from a lot of money), do not care for the many distractions that many fall for, learned to not take things personally most of the time, acclimatized, started building relationships with other educated foreigners and Thais here from various places (like school and such), learned to not care much about roaches crawling on my food, learned to be a bit more humble, decided against having any children (huge win, imo), decided that winning is not only about tangible things (like material wealth) but it can also be something like a lack of fear of failure and an understanding that the ride is just as important as the destination.

You might want to try harder with the HUMBLE bit, as the rest of the post seems to indicate you are a bit of a snob.

Congrats; winner indeed.

You might want to try harder with the HUMBLE bit, as the rest of the post seems to indicate you are a bit of a snob.

Not sure how anything I said should be regarded as snobbish. I'm guessing you underlined the parts that you feel are not humble?

I think you are reading the wrong tone into my post. I am not being a snob. These are simply the truths as I see them. It's confidence (which I have not always had, btw). I had to struggle to earn my confidence, and I have no issue telling someone how I feel about myself -- esp when asked. You might find I'm one the most humble people you've ever met ... But, yes, I do believe I am rather attractive, and many others agree as well. And, for my position in life, I am indeed pretty young. Nothing wrong with that, right?

So, you are young and well educated.

Your wife is also young. She is beautiful, well-educated, kind, good looking and physically healthy.

Great. Really great.

But what have you actually achieved?

Your wife is also young. She is beautiful, well-educated, kind, good looking and physically healthy.

Great. Really great.

Not sure what you mean as you are calling attention to only a very small portion of my post. Can you clarify?

My existence goes something like this - winner loser winner loser winner loser..I cherish my losses as well as my winnings... My losses are my teacher. :)

What have I acheived is peace with myself together with my family and enviroment

Edited by WAYNEandAEI

But, yes, I do believe I am rather attractive, and many others agree as well. And, for my position in life, I am indeed pretty young. Nothing wrong with that, right?

You very hansum man, of that we can all agree. :D

+1,

But l worry about the hours he spends in front of the mirror with his friends. :rolleyes:

Great. Really great.

Not sure what you mean as you are calling attention to only a very small portion of my post. Can you clarify?

Read this:

decided that winning is not only about tangible things (like material wealth) but it can also be something like a lack of fear of failure and an understanding that the ride is just as important as the destination.

Achievers know what they've achieved. Coming to terms with a fear of failure is not an achievement.

But, yes, I do believe I am rather attractive, and many others agree as well. And, for my position in life, I am indeed pretty young. Nothing wrong with that, right?

+1,

But l worry about the hours he spends in front of the mirror with his friends. :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys, for your positive contributions to this positive thread. In fact, while I have some friends, I do not think I have many friends.

Have a nice evening.

Great. Really great.

I think that he said he achieved inner peace. Sounds like a lot more than most people ever do, here or in the West. I say congratulations. That sounds like the only achievement worth the effort.

And I guess I just don't see the snobbish part of his response. I guess that is why it is claimed that 90% of the message is lost in a discussion via email. I interpreted his statements completely differently. Without subtle queues like voice tones and body language I imagine people project their own biases onto everything they read.

+1,

Thanks, guys, for your positive contributions to this positive thread. In fact, while I have some friends, I do not think I have many friends.

Have a nice evening.

:), You won't have many friends if the mirror is your best friend. ;)