Tot Fibre 2U In Bkk

MJo

TOT Fibre 2U has been available for a while now but have seen reports mainly in Phuket only.

Anyone having it in BKK in general or even in upper Sukhumvit / Bang Na areas ?

Interested only for the reason that our moo baan is TOT wires only so no one else can't get in and TOT earlier has said that due to the distance to their switch they can only provide 2 meg line so less than a meg in real life...

Why not ask at your local TOT office.

TOT seems to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on selling their Fiber connections.... I got it in CM but in the office where I asked for it they had no promo materials, and they didn't know prices, where and when, deals, etc, they had to call the head office for all that.

I would but i'm not in country at the moment. Trying to find out if worth pursuing once i'm back next week.

Also interested in feedback from those who have it. Actual speeds they are getting and other pro's and con's. TOT office can't help on those.

In Bangkok but out of interest how it is working in CM ?

In Bangkok but out of interest how it is working in CM ?

Fine?! I love CM.

Prices is a good question... after a 15 minute conversation with the lady, and the lady on the phone, we ended up with a hand-written piece of paper with speeds and prices. There were tons of packages as each download speed comes with a variety of uploads speeds (1, 2, 3, or 4M).

I haven't gotten my first bill but I think it's something like 1,200 0r 1,400 for 12M/2M - I thought the 2M upload speed would come in handy. Sorry don't have that piece of paper anymore... the general feeling was that it was a bit more than you'd pay for the same speed on DSL, but going up to much higher speeds on both upload and download.

• 1 month later...

I live in the BKK Sukhumvit area... and here's what I've gathered from TOT on their fiber internet lately...

First stopped by their small office in what used to be the CarreFour shopping center at OnNut... Talked the internet lady there, and she knew what it was, but knew nothing about it... Asked us to check with the main office for our area near the Chidlom BTS Station.

Stopped by the Chidlom area TOT office today and went to the internet desk there... The lady we got didn't even recognize what we were talking about re fiber, and kept trying to sell us a wifi or DSL package... No thanks... Finally, I had my wife get her to call around....

And finally, we got a TOT engineer guy of some kind out in the field talking on his mobile phone. He knew what their fiber internet was, and when we told him our lower Sukhumvit soi, he said wait another six months or so... He said they had no fiber service in our area at present.

Fibre 2U is all over Phuket with various packages ranging 1,490 Baht for 10 down 1 up connection. When I first had it installed it was great for a while but since 7th October the download speeds were reduced by about 90%. Curiously though the upload speeds have generally been higher than they originally were. Others in Phuket are experiencing the same slowdown since October including ADSL subscribers. Prior to Fiber 2U I had a 6Mb ADSL connection which consistently rated around 4,000 download speed but again since the 7th Oct those speeds have dropped considerably but not by 90%. TOT people I speak to do not know or are not allowed to tell the true story of why they have slowed down but it seems they have throttled the bandwidth rather than opening it up more to accommodate the increase in customers. It is also possible they are now lumping Fibre 2U & ADSL together.

It seems like the TOT Fiber 2 U, which many users in Phuket say, "seems Slo 2 Me", has only been launched in Phuket, Koh Samui and Pai?

Are any of the other DOCSIS providers an option for the OP? CAT On NET? True Online?

http://www.cattelecom.com/site/th/list_service.php?cat=957&subcat=972

http://www.trueonline.com/th/product/ultra_hispeed.php

There is a longish thread here on the True DOCSIS service.

Fibre 2U is all over Phuket with various packages ranging 1,490 Baht for 10 down 1 up connection. When I first had it installed it was great for a while but since 7th October the download speeds were reduced by about 90%. Curiously though the upload speeds have generally been higher than they originally were. Others in Phuket are experiencing the same slowdown since October including ADSL subscribers. Prior to Fiber 2U I had a 6Mb ADSL connection which consistently rated around 4,000 download speed but again since the 7th Oct those speeds have dropped considerably but not by 90%. TOT people I speak to do not know or are not allowed to tell the true story of why they have slowed down but it seems they have throttled the bandwidth rather than opening it up more to accommodate the increase in customers. It is also possible they are now lumping Fibre 2U & ADSL together.

Yeap, whether the "Final Mile" (so to speak) of whatever material (fiber optics, ADSL copper, Cable internet copper, etc) is used to connect between your residence and the ISP's central office/station where the DSLAMs are even if that final mile can provide much great speed over that final mile if the rest of the ISP's network after that final mile is slowing down for whatever reason a person's internet speed can drop greatly. It's the whole network that counts...any network is no better/faster than it's weakest/slowest link in reaching your destination website/server.

Pib, we had that one guy in the True Online thread who had reported getting TOT fiber installed, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't in Phuket or the other couple resort areas mentioned above...

I thought he was somewhere closer to BKK, but I can't recall off the top of my head where...or if that poster ever made clear his location.

Here's a couple of links on TOT Fiber 2U results that some Phuket folks have posted. I don't see anything exciting in the results, especially for international bandwidth which seems to be in the typical 2-6Mb ballpark.

http://phuketphuket.blogspot.com/2011/01/tot-fiber-optic-1010-at-software-park.html

http://phuketphuket.blogspot.com/2010/09/tot-ftth-fibre-to-home-speed-from.html

http://phuketphuket.blogspot.com/2011/01/software-park-phuket-internet_03.html

http://phuketphuket.blogspot.com/2010/09/tot-ftth-fibre-to-home-speed-from.html

A TOT Fiber 2U post from this guy down in Rayong...the fiber is hooked to the factory he works at. If Fiber 2U capability exist in Bangkok the current users sure don't post much about it....hard to find anything from users even when using Google....just don't think there is much capability within the Bangkok area "except maybe to businesses" and the end users/workers don't have a clue nor could care less what ISP is providing the internet service to their company---quite understandable.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4650730

Edited by Pib