Cement Firms Keenly Await Thai Govt Schemes: Flood Damage

webfact

BUSINESS

Cement firms keenly await govt schemes

NALIN VIBOONCHART

SOMLUCK SRIMALEE

THE NATION

30171659-01_big.JPG

The cement industry is waiting to see more details of the government's programme for infrastructure projects in the new year before it can determine whether growth of this sector will exceed the normal annual rate of 3-5 per cent.

The government so far has not laid out clear plans on repairing the flood damage to roads and other infrastructure, or for how it intends to bolster the Kingdom's disaster-protection system with floodways or drainage tunnels.

Kan Trakulhoon, president and chief executive officer of Siam Cement Group, Thailand's largest cement-maker, said demand for the product next year was anticipated to grow by 5 per cent, a rate that was also expected to continue for several years thanks to the demand for repairs to roads, houses and other buildings, as well as improving the flood-protection system and constructing new homes.

However, it has to wait for an outline of new infrastructure projects from the government before making a clear forecast of cement demand in 2012 and over the next few years.

He said sales of building materials had bright growth prospects after the flood water recedes. Inundated houses need new materials for restoration. There will also be more demand for materials such as cement that are less susceptible to flood damage than wood.

"Because of the floods, the demand for high-rise condominiums in central Bangkok will be higher. I have always believed that the number of high-rise residences such as condominiums has not reached the saturation point. So I have an optimistic view that demand for cement will keep growing."

Kan pointed to the overall improved sales of building materials and cement in October as evidence for his optimism. In that month, sales of cement in the Central region dropped by 40 per cent; however, sales in the North, South and Northeast were good.

Chantana Sukhumanont, executive vice president of Siam City Cement, the country's second-largest cement producer, said cement consumption in 2012 would not grow significantly from house and other building restoration, as repairs do not require a lot of the product.

Most of the demand will be for other building materials such as plumbing fixtures, paint and pipes as well as furnishings.

She said Thailand's annual cement-production capacity was 50 million tonnes, of which 30 million tonnes were for domestic consumption and the rest for export.

"The cement supply is sufficient. If domestic demand is higher than the normal level of 30 million tonnes per year, cement makers can switch from exports to serve the domestic market," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-12

"The cement industry is waiting to see more details of the government's programme for infrastructure projects in the new year before it can determine whether growth of this sector will exceed the normal annual rate of 3-5 per cent."

I can almost hear them salivating at the profits to be made, even after the kickbacks.:lol:

"The cement industry is waiting to see more details of the government's programme for infrastructure projects in the new year before it can determine whether growth of this sector will exceed the normal annual rate of 3-5 per cent."

I can almost hear them salivating at the profits to be made, even after the kickbacks.:lol:

You may wish to reconsider your comments in light of the fact that the Crown Property Bureau is one of the largest stakeholders in Siam Cement. Do you think it is appropriate to level such innuendo when the CPB channels profits into the Crown Property Foundation for the benefit of Thailand? You do realize what the CPB represents, right?

I really do wish people would think before letting loose with a broadside.Not every Thai is corrupt or engages in kickbacks.

Don't hold your breath, the focus of this government isto bring Thaksin back and then after that may be they will see if they canssave the industry if any left

They will have to wait after Thaksin gets back and give him time to get all his ducks in a row so he can make the maximum amount of money. His part in the whole scheme is to take the money to the bank or put it in his closet.:jap:

You may wish to reconsider your comments in light of the fact that the Crown Property Bureau is one of the largest stakeholders in Siam Cement. Do you think it is appropriate to level such innuendo when the CPB channels profits into the Crown Property Foundation for the benefit of Thailand? You do realize what the CPB represents, right?

I really do wish people would think before letting loose with a broadside.Not every Thai is corrupt or engages in kickbacks.

I don't know what CPB is but if it is government I know there is corruption. That is not saying every one in Government is corrupt but you can bet your sweet bippy babby that there will be corrupt people involved and a lot of the ones who are not corrupt know who is corrupt and what they are doing but will keep their mouth shut.

I don't know what CPB is but if it is government I know there is corruption. That is not saying every one in Government is corrupt but you can bet your sweet bippy babby that there will be corrupt people involved and a lot of the ones who are not corrupt know who is corrupt and what they are doing but will keep their mouth shut.

Here's a hint: Crown.

But GK suggesting that just because the CPB has an investment in a company that there is no corruption in it is, to say the least, a touch niave.

When GK has no other argument he tries to put a stop to all debate by mentioning CPB or HRM himself. Not the first time.

The idea that CPB being an investing owner in some of the companies in the business would stop the practice of kickbacks or that it would stop the companies themselves from being 'happy' with the crisis, is false and a logical fallacy - only raised as a way to try to avoid this topic to in any shape or form highlights the issues with a corrupt government and their badly thought-out plans will affect people.

Don't hold your breath, the focus of this government isto bring Thaksin back and then after that may be they will see if they canssave the industry if any left

Why is Thaskin consuming and controlling the lives of so many posters? There is not a topic on here, whether it be food, pets or scams where Thaskin is not mentioned. It's just not healthy, so many are suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

I am not directing this at you my friend just stating a very obvious fact, he pops up in every single thread and it does get just a little tedious.

Why is Thaskin consuming and controlling the lives of so many posters? There is not a topic on here, whether it be food, pets or scams where Thaskin is not mentioned. It's just not healthy, so many are suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

I am not directing this at you my friend just stating a very obvious fact, he pops up in every single thread and it does get just a little tedious.

Yes, he's like ants at a picnic, he's into everything, and that's just the way he likes it. Front page every day.

Maybe everyone is 'waiting to see' drove Sunday to an area near me that has been totally flooded for a very long time, now dry, just the main road still with water. out of more the 100 shops only 3 people were trying to clean up, the whole area looked as if it had been in a war.

Main Road on North side been dry for a week, there are still all the concert and sandbags everywhere, the main on off is still blocked and traffic must drive over sandbags over the divider = hours of 4 lane traffic backed up to get over this single lane very rough off + on section, at the same time fighting with traffic trying to use this same area as the on..

Little wonder the shops in my area are all empty, left home at 12:50, 7km down the lane to the main road 1hr 20 mins, to the U turn and then got as far as Bang Yai, now is 16:00 to late to continue to BKK as where I had to go closes at 17:00 so turn around and go home arrive home 18:40... From home to Bang Yai = 15 km !!!!!!!! the 15km is direct, but still under water like wise all the U turns down and under..

Would have thought that something like the main highway north they would have cleared and cleaned up, there are still cars parked, in one place there is a Taxi which must have doubled parked 2 months or so ago, now is like in the middle of the road and traffic can pass both sides = also a long tail back of traffic as one lane is blocked..

Well, it tends to divert attention from anyone noticing all the other thieving buggars with their hands in the till.